Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Skin Divers® anyone? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 7 Next >>
fragaholic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 81

Quote fragaholic Replybullet Topic: Skin Divers® anyone?
    Posted: July/27/2008 at 6:34am
I've just read this little article in the german "Taetowiermagazin" about those so called "skin divers". They're pretty much the next generation of single-point piercing. The rejection rate apparently is MUCH lower than with our common micro-dermals. (... so they say.)
They're even smaller and can be placed nearly everywhere (and pretty close to one another) without the common rejection problems.
As far as I can see it isn't even necessary to taper after punching to insert them.

Yeah bla bla bla long talk short:
Anyone on here already experienced getting them done? Did/Do you still have micro-dermals?
What's your preference / Are they really so much better? Got some more information or stories about skindivers?

My local piercer already told me that she ordered some of 'em and if I wanna be her guinea pig again xD
- I'm waiting for your answers ;)
kaiii xD

Edited by fragaholic - July/27/2008 at 10:56am
IP IP Logged
RiotRix
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 19

Quote RiotRix Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 6:48am
Hmmm... I'd be fascinated to hear about it.I apparently reject surface piercings like whoa, and I'm worried if I'll have the same problem with micro-dermals.
IP IP Logged
stuffsh
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 28

Quote stuffsh Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 10:38am
Would it be possible to give us a link to some pictures of these? I'm quite curious as to what they look like!

I know the germans have come up with a better design for microdermals than we have over here - my piercer has recently decided to start putting solely german manufactured micros in due to them just being better... but I've never heard of these skindivers before and google isn't giving me much answers.

I can't say much about having any micros myself as the only one I had I put in myself and it came out not long after that lol

But I do wanna get something of that kind in the future so yeah... hit me up with info!
IP IP Logged
fragaholic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote fragaholic Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 10:46am
here you go with some shots of already inserted ones:

---> Click for gallery!

I'm still looking for pictures online where you can see the actual "hardware"...

edit: here's one for ya...

Edited by fragaholic - July/27/2008 at 10:57am
IP IP Logged
stuffsh
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 28

Quote stuffsh Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 10:58am
It's a nice idea in theory but I can imagine the "rip out" factor would be much higher with these... the good thing about micros is that they have the holes in them which the skin fuses through to hold them in place like can be seen VV

I don't know how close these type can be put together but I'm guessing they'd have a much longer life in the body. Those ones look a little like labret studs with shorter stems.. perhaps if the design was worked on a little more they could be more permenant?
IP IP Logged
Rhuin
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 51

Quote Rhuin Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 11:02am
They look kind of like the transdermal implants to me, more than the microdermals.
I choose my own way to burn
IP IP Logged
AmiiMetalFace
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 29

Quote AmiiMetalFace Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 11:06am
oooh. i thought microdermals already had like a 2% rejection rate...?
there's ones with an even lower rate? haha.
they look quite cute, but i don't like the brassy gold colour, i think that's just me though ha.
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 12:40pm
I don't know much about them myself, but I agree with Stuffish, it seems like they would be easy to rip out, even when well healed. 

To answer your question, the foot is only 2mm wide, so if they are placed side by side horizontally, you would only need a space of 3-4mm between each one.  You would probably end up needing more space than that due to the size of the attachment or else the balls, gems, discs, etc would be overlapping.

Rhuin, they are regular microdermals, the picture is just blown up to make them look insanely large.  The actual size of the base of those particular pieces is only 2mm X 6mm.
IP IP Logged
Terri-Sian
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 50

Quote Terri-Sian Replybullet Posted: July/27/2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by stuffsh

I know the germans have come up with a better design for microdermals than we have over here - my piercer has recently decided to start putting solely german manufactured micros in due to them just being better... but I've never heard of these skindivers before and google isn't giving me much answers.

we popped in to see quent the other day and he was telling us all about it! unfortunatly didnt get any work done, just a quick HULLO really!
"I am selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control and at times hard to handle... But if you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best!"

- Marilyn Monroe
IP IP Logged
fragaholic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote fragaholic Replybullet Posted: July/28/2008 at 3:14am
Well of course they're not all brassy/gold colored. It's just the only picture I could find. Usually they're made of titan.

There are no attachments for it, as they're made of 1 single piece. So you can only decide between 3 sizes of discs or something.

I also do have my doubts about the rip-out-factor... but we'll see - I think I'm going for a pair of these ;)

Stuffsh, you're well right about the holes, but nevertheless Skin Divers are said to be more permanent than your pictured micro-dermals.
I also do have slight problems with my micros, and am still not sure if I will soon lose one or two of them because of rejection...
IP IP Logged
Page  of 7 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version