<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
General Talk About Anything
 BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : General Talk About Anything
Message Icon Topic: A youth overdosing on animosity and loath Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
SierraFoxtrot
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 38

Quote SierraFoxtrot Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 6:19am
I'm really glad you posted this, especially after talking to you about it.

Jennifer your response was really good too! Unlike -some- people I had the attention span to read it all :P
I totally get what you're saying about the glorification and kids thinking its cool doing it to fit in etc. etc. its very, very true.

But I feel like I should say that when I was at high school I had a lot of friends who self harmed, we didn't do it so that we fitted in but sort of became friend because we shared a common er.. hobby?

It was something that we could use to relate to eachother, and these were very close friendships. In the end it was a bad situation because we would get together on weekends and completely wipe ourselves out smoking and drinking but it was really, really nice to have a secret bond with someone else.

I've got problems of my own, but not the kind that can be solved with an atom bomb.
IP IP Logged
Rodeo-Core
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 13

Quote Rodeo-Core Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 7:38am
apparantly i'm being kill voted for my pics that show my branding and self harming scars, what an open and welcoming community we have, i get a little tired of the pretentious etiquette on here sometimes.

thank you so much for people who have positively contributed

x

Edited by Rodeo-Core - August/27/2008 at 7:40am

Be The First To Stand
IP IP Logged
hellodave
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 9

Quote hellodave Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 7:55am
If it's showing your branding too, then it shouldn't be killvoted.
If it was just showing the self injury, then it's been decided that it's not acceptable to post as scarification.
xx
"Drink plenty of whisky and you'll live as long as me!" - Frank Smith, 1910-2006.
IP IP Logged
CheeseStix
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 71

Quote CheeseStix Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 7:56am
Rodeo-Core, don't be surprised. The verdict has come down from the head man himself, quite a while ago, that self harmers are as welcome as any other, but that their self harm is not welcome to be posted as modifications. This isn't the type of modification that this site is about. BodyMod.org is about modifications that add to your body, not things you do out of hate, spite, depression, etc, etc.
I'm not interested in the reasons, nor in arguements. The decision was made long ago, and I don't see it changing now.
Case closed.
IP IP Logged
SierraFoxtrot
Mod God
Mod God

Quote SierraFoxtrot Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 7:57am
The focus of the photo wasn't the self harm though.

I've got problems of my own, but not the kind that can be solved with an atom bomb.
IP IP Logged
CheeseStix
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 71

Quote CheeseStix Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 7:59am
The focus of the photo WAS the self harm. YES, there were three circular brands in the top-right corner. I can see them. Partially covered by the BodyMod logo... Even without the self harm, this mod post would most likely have been deemed unacceptable. If I recall correctly however, in the additional photos, there was one picture which was more focused on the brand. I'm sure if this was posted as the main photo, and the current main photo was posted as "additional", all would be well.
IP IP Logged
SierraFoxtrot
Mod God
Mod God

Quote SierraFoxtrot Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 8:01am
Oh fair enough.

IP IP Logged
JenniferR2279
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote JenniferR2279 Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Rodeo-Core

apparantly i'm being kill voted for my pics that show my branding and self harming scars, what an open and welcoming community we have, i get a little tired of the pretentious etiquette on here sometimes.

thank you so much for people who have positively contributed

x

If you actually made it through my reply, I made it no secret that I disagree with posting self harm as modification. It plays into the stereotype that modders only mod to mutilate themselves.

That in no way negates the fact that I admire you for being brave enough to come forward as a voice and a face for self harm. You didn't limit the majority of your cutting to your thighs because it's an area that would be readily seen and would garner attention. It's obvious that it was something done in solitude that was well hidden, and being able to come public and display your scars speaks louder of where you are in your recovery than any words ever could. Standing toe to toe with your demons, resisting the urge to give in to your pain, and finding the strength to take the steps to reach out to others it an amazing feat, anyway you look at it!

It might better serve the cause to display it as a journal entry where it can't come up for killvote rather than placing it as a mod.
Look, if you want to torture me, spank me, lick me, do it. But if this poetry sh!t continues, shoot me now, please.- Tank Girl
IP IP Logged
Rodeo-Core
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 13

Quote Rodeo-Core Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 11:39am
i'll hold my hands up to that and agree and will swap the two around in the morning when my computer is not fucking up like it is right now.

i didnt aim to cause issue and tbh the only reason i put the photo's up was to raise this point, i went long enough without showing off my scars i wasnt starting now.

x

Originally posted by CheeseStix

The focus of the photo WAS the self harm. YES, there were three circular brands in the top-right corner. I can see them. Partially covered by the BodyMod logo... Even without the self harm, this mod post would most likely have been deemed unacceptable. If I recall correctly however, in the additional photos, there was one picture which was more focused on the brand. I'm sure if this was posted as the main photo, and the current main photo was posted as "additional", all would be well.

Be The First To Stand
IP IP Logged
linda
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote linda Replybullet Posted: August/27/2008 at 11:58am
I have gone through bouts of depression during puberty, it was a rough time, I had been an outsider for all my life, didn't have any friends, my feeling of self worth was nil, and then my father had a heart attack at 43 (a week before my 16th birthday) and was diagnosed with severe depression shortly after, that was just too much for me.

I used to bang my head against the wall and pinch myself at night  to make the pain inside go away. The physical pain would sort of "sober me up" for a little while, sort of snap me out of the total and utter unreasonableness of a depressed state of mind.

At some point (shortly after all that happened to my dad) I realized that this was not normal & told my parents to see a psychiatrist. Obviously they were way too preoccupied to handle my personal issues aswell so I think they were happy I came up with it myself.

I only needed about a year of therapy and no meds to get through the worst, but I still fall back into the state of mind I had back then in times of stress, insecurity, sudden changes and the like. I've got some coping strategies now though, and I know that if I can't handle it anymore, I can always go to a professional for help.

I've never seen depression or other psychological issues as shameful. I think it's a terrible state of affairs that so many people suffer in silence and only get worse because nobody understands them & takes them seriously.

More people should be aware of the fact that these things happen to people who didn't ask for it, it's not weakness and it's not attention seeking.

And to all the people who do suffer, it's not shameful to seek help, I know it's hard to take the first steps, put your trust in a total stranger and open up the deepest abyss of your self to them, but it's worth all the initial difficulties tenfold. In the end you will be a happier person.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version