Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Aftercare Q&A
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Aftercare Q&A
Message Icon Topic: What to do when allergic to ink. Post Reply Post New Topic
MaximusPrime
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote MaximusPrime Replybullet Topic: What to do when allergic to ink.
    Posted: December/22/2008 at 11:44am
I just got a new tattoo (2 weeks old today)
And this one confirmed my suspicion about me being allergic/sensitive to red ink.

The red area's are raised/puffy, sensitive and ichy. I've been tattooed with red ink before (allbeit only a tiny bit), and it had the same effect but it healed eventualy (not so nice as the rest of the tat tho).

I informed my tattooer about this and he ensured me it would be no problem, sadly he was wrong.
But that aside, what can I do to improve the healing and reduce the swelling/iching?

And what kinds of ink brands are reputably better for the "red sensitive" folks out there? So maybe I can get my own flask of red and bring it when I want red tattooed. or something like that.
(Ill make sure to ask him what he uses, so I can avoid it next time :P)

Recap:
What can I do to improve healing / treat symptoms on red ink which I am sensitive/allergic to?
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 59

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: December/22/2008 at 6:25pm
your tattooist should study up on the effects on people that are allergic to ink. usually a reaction doesn't occur the first time you get a tattoo. usually you don't have a reaction until your 2nd or 3rd tattoo. as far as i know  there's not a whole lot you can do since you, obviously, can't take the ink out. just make sure you take care of it and watch it closely for infection. if you start getting green stripes that means it's infected and really bad at that point and would need to see a doctor
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: December/22/2008 at 7:16pm
It should heal, but the red may need some touching up. What are you currently putting on the tattoo? Unfortunately there isn't much you can do when you have a reaction to red except for wait for it to heal. Cheaper red inks are more likely to cause probelms in the skin. Most red reactions I've seen in the shop are caused from MOMS brands. A brand of ink that I really like is Dermaglo, and their Dark Red and Crimson Red are amazing in the skin. If your tattoo artist doesn't know what an allergic reaction looks like, then you should see another artist.

If there is infection, you should go to a doctor.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
lil lucifer
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote lil lucifer Replybullet Posted: December/22/2008 at 8:33pm
I get the same thing with white inks. It just takes maybe 6 months before the area tattooed  returns to normal along with the rest.
Try not to scratch it, as hard as it is with such itchy spots. trust me I know its hard.
My tattooist explained it to me as the amount of mineral content that is needed to make the white viable. I dont know if its the same thing with red ink.
Guns are for show, Knives are for a pro!
IP IP Logged
isellmisery
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote isellmisery Replybullet Posted: December/22/2008 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by lil lucifer

I get the same thing with white inks. It just takes maybe 6 months before the area tattooed  returns to normal along with the rest.

i had a problem with white ink too, i had slight swelling on the crossbones on my leg up until about 2 weeks ago, and i got mine done in  march....
but since changing tattooists, the white ive had done on my arm has been fine, however it was a lot less in area than my leg, but this time the red is acting up :|

ive heard that applying topical anti-histamines works to stop the itching on a HEALED tattoo, but i cant remember where i heard that, or how true it is, as ive never used it, so dont quote me on that...

Edited by isellmisery - December/22/2008 at 9:34pm
Two cups of tea
one for you and one for me.
two dead police
one for hope and one for peace.
IP IP Logged
jim01
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 29

Quote jim01 Replybullet Posted: December/22/2008 at 10:33pm
  don't let anyone touch it keep it clean with antibacterial soap and keep it moisturize with unscented lotion and nothing else. i had a reaction to red ink in one of my tattoos and this is what i did and it turned out alright.
IP IP Logged
MaximusPrime
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote MaximusPrime Replybullet Posted: December/23/2008 at 10:03am
ok,  thanks for the reply's
Im putting Bepanthen on it atm, for healing.

Ill just have to sit it out I guess...
Thx
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 59

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: December/24/2008 at 4:52pm
oh, and one other thing. make sure your tattooist reports what happened. i don't know what the laws are where you live, but here in montana if somebody has any sort of reaction to ink you're supposed to report it to the state for their records in case it happens again
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: December/31/2008 at 2:38pm
Keep up your normal aftercare until it is fully healed, and try taking Benedryl.  It should help a lot with the swelling and itching.  You can also try cold, wet compresses a few times a day.  Otherwise, you will just have to wait it out.  If the reaction does not seem to be improving after a month, or if you start noticing signs of infection or any other strange symptoms, go see your doctor.
IP IP Logged
mbs08
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 16

Quote mbs08 Replybullet Posted: January/02/2009 at 9:48am
wait till its healed and keep using the correct aftercare. good luck. i hope it doesnt get infected.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version