BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Tattoos
Message Icon Topic: Choosing an artist Post Reply Post New Topic
bekki659
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote bekki659 Replybullet Topic: Choosing an artist
    Posted: March/29/2009 at 9:19pm
There are several artists who are pretty good around here. Ive never had an artist thats done all my stuff because Ive moved around so much.
In any case, my lovely mother has decided once again to pitch in to help me pay for a tattoo that I really want, as opposed to the one I was a little undecided on.  This one is bigger, so I thought I was going to have to wait.

Anyway, Im really nervous about picking an artist for it.  I was hoping that you guys would help me point out what about this tattoo would be difficult for an artist to carry out, and what specifically I should look for in an artist's portfolio that would indicate that he/she could do it well.

This is the design- its really complicated, and the artist that I took it to previously said that it would have to be simplified.  Its going to be large as far as my tattoos go... probably about the size of a woman's hand, fingers semi spread out.

May or may not get the writing now, depending on the price.

Edited by bekki659 - March/29/2009 at 9:20pm
IP IP Logged
childofthewild
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 72

Quote childofthewild Replybullet Posted: March/30/2009 at 12:03am
With my tattoos personally, if i was ever considering an artist, I would go look around some shops around town. Talk to some artists and go online and see some portfolios that the artists have posted. Establishing a good relationship with any kind of modification artist piercer or tattooist would  be a good thing to do. I remember getting my first tattoo. I talked to the artist that did it for weeks in advance and got to know him before actually getting work done by him. Unfortunately I dont live anywhere near your area so I cant help with specifics, but i hope all turns out well with your tattoo! it looks good and i'm sure the artist you choose will do a great job!
clubbed drugged and left on a bench

IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: March/30/2009 at 12:11am
Look for someone who pays close attention to detail, someone who seems to excel when the design is more complicated.  If tattoos seem to be simplified, lacking in detail that it seems should be there, that's a good indication that the artist shies away from complicated designs.  Look for the artist that goes the extra mile.  When you see work that is intricate but would look just as good if it were missing a few lines here and there, you know you've found someone who could do it for you.  My fiance helped me out with this one, he took a look at it.  He says it would be a total pain in the ass, but he could do it, and do it well.  So it's a good thing you're not going to the artist you talked to before.  There's no need to simplify it.
IP IP Logged
jim01
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 29

Quote jim01 Replybullet Posted: March/30/2009 at 1:52am
 like childofthewild said check out diffrent artist go during the week it's usually a little slower then and the artist will have more time to talk to you  ask to see there porfolio and find one you feel comfortable with i watched and artist about 6months before i let him work on me and like i've said other times don't go to small.
IP IP Logged
prince_albert75
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote prince_albert75 Replybullet Posted: April/04/2009 at 9:13pm
Everyone is giving good information.  Just do your research.  Check check
and check some more, and it definately helps to get to know your artist. 

It is going to be on your body, it doesn't hurt to be picky and have the
right person to do it right the first time.  Things don't ever work out right when they need to be redone.  Plus you want it to be the way you
pictured it, not what you settled for.

Take your time, and go with it when you are comfortable with you choices.
IP IP Logged
bekki659
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote bekki659 Replybullet Posted: April/06/2009 at 8:40pm
Well, its all irrelevant now, thanks to my lovely dogs.
They decided to go dig up a package of sugerfree, poisonous gum from god knows where while I was running errands.  So now I have a few thousand dollars worth of vet bills.
FML.
IP IP Logged
drakko
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote drakko Replybullet Posted: April/07/2009 at 11:07am
"Your feet will bring you to the place where your heart is."  I found on the internets this is the translation.

cool!!
IP IP Logged
bekki659
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote bekki659 Replybullet Posted: April/07/2009 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by drakko

"Your feet will bring you to the place where your heart is."  I found on the internets this is the translation.

cool!!

Yep :]
Extremely relevant in my life.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version