<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Need some help on a pubic piercing. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
TheMightyGoat
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 8

Quote TheMightyGoat Replybullet Topic: Need some help on a pubic piercing.
    Posted: August/18/2009 at 10:44pm
I want to give myself a pubic piercing. A curved barbell placed horizontally above my shaft.

I'm thinking 14 gauge would be appropriate. Yes? How's this look?
http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=4145

What spacing should I get on the bar?

And for a 14 gauge bar, I would use a 14 gauge needle, correct?

I could probably get this done professionally for not much more than it would cost to buy the materials, but I would rather have the learning experience. Pointers appreciated.

Here's a picture of what I'm going for, except not gold.
http://bodypiercingpictures.painfulpleasures.com/data/517/medium/100888DSC00122.JPG
IP IP Logged
TheMightyGoat
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote TheMightyGoat Replybullet Posted: August/18/2009 at 11:02pm
...or would a surface bar work better?

http://www.painfulpleasures.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=4098
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: August/19/2009 at 12:25am
If you're doing horizontal, a surface bar may fare well if its a good length (I would suggest 7/8" or longer), but a curved barbell may not work out for you. If you do try a curved barbell, try to get a length of 5/8" or more. If your jewelry is 14g, your needle should be 14g as well.

Shave the area first. When you lift/pinch the skin to pierce it (or if you're using a tool), its important to hold a flashlight up to map out any veins. A tool may be very useful if you're inexperienced with piercing.

It will bleed, but not too much if you use the same guage needle and jewelry.

I hope this helps.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
rmlaxman27
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote rmlaxman27 Replybullet Posted: August/19/2009 at 6:40pm
not to confuse you goat, but more of a question for cale.

wouldnt you generally go a size higher, say 12g, with a 14g bar so that it goes in easily? or is that only for ears and such?
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: August/19/2009 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by rmlaxman27

not to confuse you goat, but more of a question for cale.

wouldnt you generally go a size higher, say 12g, with a 14g bar so that it goes in easily? or is that only for ears and such?

in my personal opinion, it's an inexperienced or lazy (or both) piercer that uses a larger gauge needle than the bar...
i've never found any need or situation where a larger gauge needle would help...

but, then again... that question was for cale.... sorry, couldn't resist..
IP IP Logged
TheMightyGoat
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote TheMightyGoat Replybullet Posted: August/19/2009 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Cale

If you're doing horizontal, a surface bar may fare well if its a good length (I would suggest 7/8" or longer), but a curved barbell may not work out for you. If you do try a curved barbell, try to get a length of 5/8" or more. If your jewelry is 14g, your needle should be 14g as well.

Shave the area first. When you lift/pinch the skin to pierce it (or if you're using a tool), its important to hold a flashlight up to map out any veins. A tool may be very useful if you're inexperienced with piercing.

It will bleed, but not too much if you use the same guage needle and jewelry.

I hope this helps.

I think 5/8th is about the size I was imagining, having now unzipped my pants with a ruler in hand. I was thinking I might get a curved bar and try bending it myself so that the arms are closer to a 90* angle, but would still have that half-ring look as opposed to straight projections. Does that sound like a good or bad idea?

Out of curiosity, what spacing would you guess the piercing in the picture I posted is?

Thanks for the help.
IP IP Logged
fragaholic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 81

Quote fragaholic Replybullet Posted: August/19/2009 at 8:00pm
I'd rather go with a proper 90 or 45 degree surface bar. (90 has given me problems in my pubic so I changed to 45, since then it's fine.)

The spacing in the picture looks quite short to me, like maybe 12mm or something like that.
I'd go for a longer one, to be sure there's enough tissue to hold and heal the piercing. I'd say go for 20mm.

However, no pro here - just passionate hobby piercer.
IP IP Logged
astrocreep666
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 48

Quote astrocreep666 Replybullet Posted: August/19/2009 at 11:55pm
the bigger the gauge of the bar the less chance of rejection or miagration. i would recommend AT LEAST a 14g. As far as the barbell style, go with a curved barbell. They aren't as good as surface bars, but I highly doubt you are gonna be able to insert 90 degree bends through  5/8"holes without prior piercing and jewelry insertion experience.
IP IP Logged
rmlaxman27
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote rmlaxman27 Replybullet Posted: August/20/2009 at 1:48am
Originally posted by freakychild

but, then again... that question was for cale.... sorry, couldn't resist..

haha not a problem freaky - i was just curious in general. i cant remember if i got  my helix pierced at 12g with a 14g bar or not
IP IP Logged
Wallie
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 21

Quote Wallie Replybullet Posted: August/20/2009 at 2:46am
last time i pierced mine was with 8g needle & jewelery since the skin is pretty stretchy using same size needle & jewelery wasn't an issue. i used a straight barbell & didn't have any issues i just got sick of catching it on my pants everytime i went to piss & getting drunk & catching it dosent hurt until the morning :-P
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version