Message Icon Topic: Job interviews Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
bbwdreamsicle
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 7

Quote bbwdreamsicle Replybullet Topic: Job interviews
    Posted: September/02/2009 at 8:31pm
I am looking for a job after being disabled for 6 years. I am mainly focusing on P/T work in a social service setting, working with mentally ill or MR/DD individuals. If that doesn't work out, I may resort to customer service. I have asked various friends, and some say remove my piercings for interviews, while others say it is not neccessary since it is not a corporate setting. I really want a job that will allow me to wear my piercings. I have my eyebrow, nose, tongue and ears pierced, as well as a Monroe. Anyone have suggestions? I have gotten all or my piercings after I left my last job. When I was in HS (almost 20 years ago) I had a nose ring, and had to remove it for my job in a supermarket. It seems piercings have become more acceptable since then though, so I was hoping to be able to keep them in. Anyone with experiences to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by bbwdreamsicle - September/02/2009 at 8:36pm
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: September/02/2009 at 8:52pm
i didn't take out my eyebrow when i interviewed for my job (i work at a camp for people with disabilities), though i was later told by other employees that we really weren't supposed to have facial piercings (as they are easy targets for angry hands), but i've never had a problem with the job because of it, and i've gotten several more piercings since i started working there three years ago..

i plan on working in the same field most likely for the rest of my life, though not just for a camp, of course, and eventually i hope to start my own program, but i don't think i'd take out my piercings for an interview (especially if it's a residential program.. like i assume i'll probably spend some time working in a home) as i don't intend on taking them out permanently, and considering i've had experience in the field my entire life, i'd think that should be more important. i've also seen many people who work in those homes while out on trips to stores or to drop clients at the camp i work at, and quite a few have several visible mods.

i don't know exactly the situation you're in.. like the exact type of work you plan on doing and such, so obviously i can't tell you what to do.. just what i know from where i live/what i've done..

Edited by evalution - September/03/2009 at 11:17am
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: September/02/2009 at 9:57pm
I think if you don't want to remove your piercings, try the interview with them in. If anything, they will tell you to wear clear retainers if they don't approve of the jewelry. Or you can find a place that will let you keep them in.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
prince_albert75
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote prince_albert75 Replybullet Posted: September/03/2009 at 11:07am
I'm with Cale, try with them in.  If you are not comfortable, you can go
with out them in, and just ask while you are interviewing.  I'm sure they
will have no problem letting you know their policies.  You are just applying,
so you obviously don't know them yet.
IP IP Logged
linda
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote linda Replybullet Posted: September/03/2009 at 2:36pm
I agree. Go to your interviews with piercings in if you are determined to keep them.
My advice would be to keep them smart, clean them well, and dress & groom yourself well, so they can't make the connection piercings=punk=dirty or something like that. I'd even point them out, say: hey, look, I've got these, is that a problem? I can put retainers in them if you want.
That would just show that you have a good attitude about them and are not trying to sneak some piercings past the job interview and show up with tons of metal once you're hired.
I talk too much.
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/03/2009 at 3:00pm
If you plan on wearing piercings on the job, go to the interview with them in. That way, both parties will be upfront about appearance preferences, and there shouldn't be any miscommunication later on. 
IP IP Logged
bbwdreamsicle
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 7

Quote bbwdreamsicle Replybullet Posted: September/03/2009 at 3:58pm
Thanks for the input... I think I will keep them in and mention that I can use retainers if need be.
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: September/04/2009 at 9:39am
Frankly, if you wear them outright, and they don't mention them, I see no need to draw attention to them. If they were a big deal, the interviewer would mention it. 
IP IP Logged
pointblankzero
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote pointblankzero Replybullet Posted: September/04/2009 at 10:02am
I've had a couple of interviews where I've had to bring up mods to the potential employer, and they've said retainers or remove them. I didn't get the job anyway, but hey...

Just wear them, and ask about if they're ok for the job :)
IP IP Logged
Randall
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 88

Quote Randall Replybullet Posted: September/04/2009 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by CheapPerfume

If they were a big deal, the interviewer would mention it. 

Or not, then file your application in the garbage...  they probably won't tell you if your appearance isn't "up to snuff".  Most likely, they have more people to interview.

I've always been told you should present yourself as professionally as possible @ an interview.  Sadly, Piercings aren't considered "professional" in most cases yet. Piercings, regardless of how tasteful, will be very often seen in a negative light.

Many employers expect that you will go a little out of your way to be more presentable for the interview.  It shows that you are willing to make concessions in order to get things done (like when using teamwork).

After all else goes well, bringing up the "dress  code" is a good way to be honest about your mods, & find out which are acceptable.

I am a piercer, but most often I have a full time job in customer service of some sort as well. 

I always wear to my interview:
  • a long sleeve dress shirt (covers my tattoos but sucked hard in the summer in Vegas - roll up the sleeves for a piercing job), & Slacks
  • no jewelry but my wedding ring. (nice, subtle jewelry if it's a Piercing job)

I've never had an interview where I didn't get the job, & I've never had a job that really had a problem w/ my mods (except Costco, but that's no suprise) once they saw my work ethic, and how I wear tasteful jewelry most of the time.  Even Pactiv (w/ AIB standards) didn't bother me about it.

Of course, personality & experience will get you the job, but appearance is your first impression, so make it good. 

Disclaimer: There are some jobs that none of this applies to, & overall, I may just be being old-fashioned.
/// randall
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version