<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Hardcore Experiences
 BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Hardcore Experiences
Message Icon Topic: Suspension(s) from surface piercings Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Stormchaser
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Stormchaser Replybullet Topic: Suspension(s) from surface piercings
    Posted: September/14/2009 at 7:21pm

The dream was already old, when I started to fulfil it, doing something quite experimental. I saw 15 years ago (or so) documentation about India in TV, and there was a superman suspension portrayed, done by a Hindus. (oh yes, not only native Americans do that since ages, it is common on the other side of the world too). That documentary TV-program was the thing bringing me closer to the idea of piercing at all, and years later I started to get piercings, but suspensions were far out of scope, a hidden dream.

It was 02 when i realized that far over the pond, in USA there is a trend emerging - people hang on hooks, there are meetings, there is a scene. Europe was slower, and the first meetings even on BME not exactly well announced. So it took me till the first Swiss meeting to watch the modern ritual live, and one year more to do it myself (05). But still, when I realized it may be possible, the dream lived up, and evolved. Wouldn’t it be possible to do permanent piercings and hang from them? Optimum would be to have a jewelry design which suits suspension from it (no not every dream was possible)

After hanging quite a few times I finally lost patience with planning and started the experiment with quite a wild procedure full of improvisation (all on BME, don't want to write that old stuff again). With quite some luck it worked, and finally I indeed got the first 2 surface bars in the back, healing well. Soon they were followed by 4 more. Each 60mm long, 5mm diameter (2.4in, 4g).

Believe me, getting 4 piercings of that size is stressful, not during the piercing process, but during first healing. Pain. Really badass pain, to believe something's going to fail completely, but it was only the time, when the body tried to close up the wound, blocked by large metal. After a weak it improved and behaved normal since.

Last year in summer I tried them out the first time, hanging in superman, so getting still 6 hooks thrown into the legs (3mm / 8g). That worked out well, the piercings were neither particularly painful, nor particularly stressed by the pulling force.

A few days after suspension my back looked nice again.

And usually that means really nice. Some months later when they did particularly well I made that picture...

Here is something to say - I was really nervous before I did the first suspension from them. I like these things in my back, and I did not have any idea if I may really damage them by hanging from. The thought of maybe loosing the piercings due to some damage by suspending was serious - and so I really was nervous. It worked out, but all in all I was way more nervous than during my first suspension at all (and that one was my 6th).

For that year things changed. I want to wear the full superman piercings permanently, and in autumn and winter I went for these piercings, this time in 3mm diameter (8g) and 30mm length (1.2in).

Definitely the leg surface piercings are healing less exiting than the back. They are not rejecting, but far from any condition, which would support the idea of suspending from them. So I changed plans to do an 6pt angel suspension as first needle-less suspension.

Again now it was time to be nervous, I did not have any idea if that will work. No piercing, and quite some more weight per hook, than the last time, I was not too amused by the thought that the now upward bended pulling force may do damage. I had the feeling that these piercings stand well the 90° pull during a horizontal suspension, but now it would be diagonal, half vertical, this alters the force.

And I was nervous about the pain, interviews with Fakir Musafar did not sound enthusiastic - much more pain due to lack of endogenous pain killers in reaction to the piercing injury. So the Swiss IAM meeting was again quite experimental

Indeed that was a topic, but not a really bad one. There is no all in all pain advantage by not piecing fresh holes, but also no disadvantage. What is easier during change of jewelry (strange, painless feeling when things are mounted in you), it is than more difficult during the first pulling. Rigging is still ok, but when first serious pull starts it is painful.

And I need to say way more painful than with fresh pierced hooks, but also quite bearable. Missing endorphins, but also the effect of the feared bending of the piercings by doing a mostly vertical suspension are possible causes. The following picture illustrates that point. Still, as usual the skin gets used pretty fast that there is some harmless non-injuring pull, pain eases:

After stepwise increasing of the force myself by bending the knees, suddenly I felt the feet becoming light, and then losing contact to ground. Again and a last time the pain of the increased pull eased in 30 seconds, and the beloved flying feeling kicked in as usual. It works!!!

After half an hour of really nice suspension I said better safe than sorry and went down again to avoid stressing the piercings too much. They were not more stressed than during superman-suspensions the last year, the 6-point angel is a very valuable option for doing fun, as long as the critical healing issue of the legs surface piercings abolish to use them for a superman.

1,5 months later I repeated the angel suspension, luckily now with nicer weather und thus outdoor. The annual Superfly suspension camp was the opportunity to use the surface piercings again, now in Germany.

This time for nearly one hour, despite the fact they were a bit angry BEFORE the suspension, and thus the start-up was really painful.

I was quite happy to suspend absolutely comfortable, flying, floating in mid air, a mystic feeling, deeply meditative.

Nicer than ever some differences in the piercings behaviour to normal suspensions showed up. These are not to feel, but to see. There is no air sucked into my skin (or into the connective tissue), the piercings are robust and tight. So the vacuum below the piercings increase blood flow through small vessels, tissue stains in funny colours, which vanish in seconds after going down.

This time I was hanging longer than ever since I wear these piercings, but the piercings were least angry, there is quite an improvement in stability. Only two days later they looked like that:

...and that is way nicer than direct before the suspension (but I still felt them sensitive for 2 weeks).

Probably every 2 - 4 weeks I could hang without negative effects on the piercings, and it is funny to view how the skin and connective tissue adapted and became way stronger.

This strength and robust behaviour is also one thing I really like with these large piercings. If they weren't that resistant, I'd have lost the upper left one (look at the picture, nothing left to see), during an accident one month for the first angel suspension, when I streaked the doorframe crossing the door sideways in the morning (naked), and I got caught violently with that one piercing, pulling back my whole body. It bled a bit but survived...

IP IP Logged
fragaholic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 81

Quote fragaholic Replybullet Posted: September/14/2009 at 9:59pm
wow.
I'm not gonna type too much cause it's 4 AM here, but I gotta say IT'S AMAZING!!!
Never thought it would actually be possible with permanent piercings like these. Maybe cut deep chests, okay, yeah.
But this... mind blowing, man. keep it up, and us informed on their health :)

I enjoyed reading, thanks
IP IP Logged
Goat_Feet
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 31

Quote Goat_Feet Replybullet Posted: September/14/2009 at 10:12pm
I recognize you from some pix on BME of your permanent piercings. You've done some really cool stuff. I'm very interested to see how the piercings work out long term. You obviously had some seepage during your suspension but the pix from afterwards don't look too bad at all. All in all, very cool.
IP IP Logged
mmm_riboflavin
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote mmm_riboflavin Replybullet Posted: September/15/2009 at 9:07am
Wow, what a beautiful journey :] Thank you for sharing!
"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty." -Mark Twain
IP IP Logged
Stormchaser
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Stormchaser Replybullet Posted: September/15/2009 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Goat_Feet

I recognize you from some pix on BME of your permanent piercings. You've done some really cool stuff. I'm very interested to see how the piercings work out long term. You obviously had some seepage during your suspension but the pix from afterwards don't look too bad at all. All in all, very cool.

The seeping is not bad, and it improved during the 4 suspensions - but it is still there, showing also that I really need still to care well. The skin inside the piercings look like mucous skin (and behaves so). But beside that necessity to care, they ofteh surprise me with robust stability. I can lie down on the back on solid concrete without pain, or negative effects.

The most critical all-day life thing when swimming in the sea, having holidays on the beach of sand. Huge piercings and fine, tiny grains everywhere, creeping into every place, sharp edged stressind skin ans tissue. It makes clear, that particular care to remove that after the sun-bath is really important (2 weeks last year, with care no problem)
IP IP Logged
Goat_Feet
Mod God
Mod God

Quote Goat_Feet Replybullet Posted: September/16/2009 at 4:38pm
Thats really interesting. I'm wondering where you had the jewelry made for your piercings. Obviously if you're wearing surface bars at that large of a gauge they're custom made. I'd be interested if you could tell me where you got them.
IP IP Logged
Stormchaser
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Stormchaser Replybullet Posted: September/17/2009 at 10:20am
Hi, here you are:

IP IP Logged
Goat_Feet
Mod God
Mod God