General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
Message Icon Topic: What would your reaction be? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 6 Next >>
vomitory
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 32

Quote vomitory Replybullet Topic: What would your reaction be?
    Posted: January/20/2010 at 12:16pm
So when you guys are plotting out your next tattoo, what do you do when you stumble upon an image that is like EXACTLY what you want to get?

You probably right click, save-as, right? Then you print 'er out and trot on down to your tattooist and declare you would like that image permanently inscribed into your skin in an area of your choosing.

But what do you do when it's obviously someone's artwork? And their signature is embedded within the image itself? Do you see if you can contact the artist? Or do you just print it out anyways, get the signature removed from it, and tattoo it on?

I'm asking this because I happen to be an art student enrolled in a university program for a degree in illustration. I don't have a name out in the world, only a small gathering of people know of me and my art, and I'm basically broke as dirt and partially in debt. I do occasional freelance when asked, and I'm very generous with my art all-in-all.

So how do you think I feel when I find that someone has gotten a tattoo of a piece of my artwork on them without my prior knowledge?

Flattered? Maybe, but not really. You would think so, right? While it's always AWESOME when people enjoy my art, it's never appreciated when my art is taken from me. By 'taken', I mean used without my permission, and the blatant removal of my signature, which is basically my stamp of copyright. Also the fact that someone made personal financial gain without my knowledge sucks too.

Mostly all because if I had just received a simple email asking about the art in question, 99.9% would be that I'd offer to make any modifications to suit their needs, as long as the credit would still be given to me for the original artwork.

http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/profile.aspx?ID=169536

http://blatantvomitory.deviantart.com/art/Rastaquouere-126524996

Yes I know this is the internet, yes I know that [insert other artist here] has had their artwork used as tattoos before without their knowledge. But normally those artists are well known and recognized for their art. You see something and instantly connect it with the artist, or upon asked, "Did you draw that?" the person would most likely answer "Nah, [artist] did."

All attempts of trying to be witty with variations of "welcome to the internet/you're on the internet" are useless.

I'm attracted to chaos, attracted to rage,

And I might offend you.
IP IP Logged
Veilside
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote Veilside Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 12:24pm
There isn't much to say at this point other than that fucking sucks.

I've not yet been tattooed, but upon finding an awesome artist who's style I really liked, I paid him to draw me a custom design, I'm now just waiting to have £1k spare to go and get the thing tattooed on me.

If it's any consolation at all, the tattoo looks like it was badly done.

Edited by Veilside - January/20/2010 at 12:27pm
"so its personal attacks now veilside?? well if thats the way its gonna be i think your a candyass little bitch twat raver with a closed minded point of view."

IP IP Logged
vomitory
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote vomitory Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 12:32pm
Like, I have a tattoo on the back of my neck that I found on DA. But I messaged the dude first and he was basically, "Go for it, but I just want a picture of the tattoo", since it was a tattoo design.
I'm attracted to chaos, attracted to rage,

And I might offend you.
IP IP Logged
AlecTrosex
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 24

Quote AlecTrosex Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 12:44pm
A while back I emailed H.R. Giger to ask permission to use a piece of his work as inspiration for a tattoo. He said that not only would he approve, but he would try to find an original sketch of the piece that he worked from to create the sculpture, and send it to me. He never found the sketch, and I haven't gotten the tattoo yet, but he did make an effort for me, and I'm sure he appreciated my asking permission.
Regarding your art, the price you pay for exposure is the loss of control.  The more famous your work becomes, the more it will be used without permission. To think that artists that are well known and highly stolen from care any less is ridiculous. Allow me to give an example of how stealing intellectual property does bother the owners of even the most widely stolen from: Kyra Schon, the little girl from 1968's Night of the Living Dead. Her face has become an icon that millions of people recognize because of one image. An image that belonged to her father, and has been stolen countless times to be used on merchandise and tattoos. Kyra has said:
"Is it flattering that my nine year-old face is so recognizable and iconic in the horror genre? Of course it is! Does it also really piss me off that for all the profits being made from my face, almost none of it comes back to me? You have no idea..."
She has a tattoo gallery on her website for pictures of tattoos of the image. http://www.ghoulnextdoor.com/tatgal.html
Clearly she has mixed feelings about it, just like you, vomitory.
IP IP Logged
MysticWasteland
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 21

Quote MysticWasteland Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 12:48pm
weaksauce...really weak...Disgust
IP IP Logged
wormbuffet
Mod God
Mod God

Quote wormbuffet Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 1:02pm
Yeah, the tattoo was really poorly done. that girl should really fess up and give you some acknowledgment or pay you in some way. what a douche
IP IP Logged
Veilside
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote Veilside Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by wormbuffet

Yeah, the tattoo was really poorly done. that girl should really fess up and give you some acknowledgment or pay you in some way. what a douche

Judging by the quality of the tattoo, they don't have the money to pay for the design.
"so its personal attacks now veilside?? well if thats the way its gonna be i think your a candyass little bitch twat raver with a closed minded point of view."

IP IP Logged
belle
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 25

Quote belle Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 1:37pm
.  so just to be devils advicate here.....but see any simalarites???? and take some justice to know her tattoo is badly done.

Edited by belle - January/20/2010 at 1:39pm
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

IP IP Logged
wormbuffet
Mod God
Mod God

Quote wormbuffet Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by belle

.  so just to be devils advicate here.....but see any simalarites???? and take some justice to know her tattoo is badly done.

not really any similarities other than there's a red balloon..
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: January/20/2010 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by belle

i think this is why that other image was looking so familiar to me.. i'm not sure why, though..
IP IP Logged
Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version