Aftercare Q&A
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Aftercare Q&A
Message Icon Topic: WHY 1/4tsp to 8oz for soaks? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
WhyBeNormal
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote WhyBeNormal Replybullet Topic: WHY 1/4tsp to 8oz for soaks?
    Posted: February/15/2010 at 1:22pm
I've wondered why the .25tsp to 8oz ratio for a sea salt soak is the standard, and then I read somewhere that it is roughly equal to the body's natural salinity.

But this isn't correct. I just looked it up, and normal saline is .91% NaCl. Assuming my math is correct, this would be roughly .44tsp per 8oz.

So basically, now I'm wondering why we use this ratio?

Edited by WhyBeNormal - February/15/2010 at 1:23pm
Avoid passing on urban legends, scams, and false information. Before you forward email, check it out at http://www.snopes.com, the Urban Legends Reference Pages.
IP IP Logged
CheeseStix
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 71

Quote CheeseStix Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 1:26pm
I would assume we're operating under the "less is more" principal, because to tell people to use .44tsp, most people would use .5, which would be too much salt, and would have a drying out effect.
This is all speculation however.. I'm sure someone will pop up with a better answer. =D
IP IP Logged
mspiggy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 77

Quote mspiggy Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 2:24pm
The sea salt soak stems from a twisted understanding about "saline solution", which is the salt solution used in the hospital for IV's and wound irrigation. Proper saline solution (.9% ~ 5% sodium chloride) is almost undetectable in distilled water, which is to say you could barely taste the salt in the solution. Sea salt is a natural derived salt and if mixed correctly with distilled water would be almost the same as hospital grade saline solution.

Some of the pre-made cleaning solution like Blairex Wound Wash Saline which contain .9% sodium chloride are almost the same as body's natural salinity.

However, most people who is using sea salt for soaking their piercings are actually burning the piercing and it's new tissue. The burning is from over concentrated salt in the solution. Too much salt in solution actual becomes "caustic" and with that it burns the new tissue you are trying to build. .9% sodium chloride equals to a pinch of salt, not a teaspoon or tablespoon but an actual pinch between thumb and index finger.

The proper .9% solution of sea salt in boiled water when applied to the piercing in a warm state will increase the circulation to the piercing sight. Soften the crusties that are around the entry and exit points allowing this matter to be removed from the piercing without damaging the new tissue. The warmth allows the circulation to bring more white cells to the site and increase the healing rate, the salt in solution will help to toughen the skin and new tissue and thus speed the healing. This procedure should be done at least once a day during the first two weeks post piercing and then once every couple of days from there for the next 4 weeks.

In my opinion though, most of the benefits comes from the heat in the sea salt soaking, following by not fidgeting/touching/playing with your freshly new piercing and you should have a swell healing phase.

Edited by mspiggy - February/15/2010 at 2:25pm
Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean
IP IP Logged
Veilside
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote Veilside Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 2:48pm
As mspiggy mentions in her last sentence, any warm water will increase circulation and remove crusties. The extra salt is fine, but not necessary.
"so its personal attacks now veilside?? well if thats the way its gonna be i think your a candyass little bitch twat raver with a closed minded point of view."

IP IP Logged
linda
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote linda Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 4:21pm
well, water alone does dry out the skin too, especially warm/hot water, as most people will notice after a shower.

The added salt, as close to the body's salinity as possible, might just prevent that.
I talk too much.
IP IP Logged
Veilside
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Veilside Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by linda

well, water alone does dry out the skin too, especially warm/hot water, as most people will notice after a shower.The added salt, as close to the body's salinity as possible, might just prevent that.

Is there any evidence to back that up or is that just conjecture?
"so its personal attacks now veilside?? well if thats the way its gonna be i think your a candyass little bitch twat raver with a closed minded point of view."

IP IP Logged
linda
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote linda Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 4:45pm
The second part was conjecture, alongside with some common sense and knowledge of osmosis.
I talk too much.
IP IP Logged
Veilside
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Veilside Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 4:58pm
Osmosis is a moot point when you consider two solutions with the same salt content.

IP IP Logged
linda
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote linda Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 5:01pm
we're talking about water without salt (possibly even boiled so there are even less minerals in it) vs. the body.

where's the moot point?
I talk too much.
IP IP Logged
Veilside
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Veilside Replybullet Posted: February/15/2010 at 5:07pm
I was talking about "The added salt, as close to the body's salinity as possible, might just prevent that.".

With regards to the original question, Linda's point about osmosis may be correct, the water from the lower concentration salt solution may well transfer into the body better, but then why would that happen better than no salt at all, and would there even be a noticeable result if you only soak for a minute or two?

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version