Message Icon Topic: tips? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Sylvias
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote Sylvias Replybullet Topic: tips?
    Posted: March/01/2010 at 8:46pm
I am getting my snakey tattoo finished next week and I am wondering what the standard tipping procedure is for tattoo's...
I have heard some people say they never knew you were supposed to tip, some say that you're a bitch if you don't, and some say that if the artist owns the shop don't tip but if they are just working there then tip....
none of them mention any type of percentage that you should tip....
like at restaurants it's between 10-20% (depending on the quality of the restaurant and waiter)
so what is it for tattooists?
www.darksidereptiles.com
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 59

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: March/01/2010 at 9:15pm
It's totally up to you. If you get a tattoo and you're not happy with it are you going to tip them? I would hope not. Then again if you love it, why not? I always give my artist a huge tip because I get a pretty nice discount for going to him for a long time. I usually tip around $15-$20/hour depending on how long the session is.
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: March/01/2010 at 9:40pm
Its not mandatory, but appreciated. Tip whatever you think is appropriate if you wish to do so. :)
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
heatherfeather
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote heatherfeather Replybullet Posted: March/02/2010 at 12:41am
Tip if you feel like the person deserves a tip. The amount of tip is up to you. There is no scale.

And being a repeat costumer is also tip that some people don't realize or recommending a friend to that artist.
IP IP Logged
Jack Crrack
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote Jack Crrack Replybullet Posted: March/02/2010 at 7:29am
I don't tip my artist. I think the ammount I pay him is enough.
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: March/02/2010 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Jack Crrack

like we actually see all that money.
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
ZombiePhlegm
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote ZombiePhlegm Replybullet Posted: March/02/2010 at 11:12am
Originally posted by xevious

you're the ones that charge that amount ;)

us tipping you is a treat, you shouldn't expect it constantly!

The Unbreakable!
IP IP Logged
mspiggy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 77

Quote mspiggy Replybullet Posted: March/02/2010 at 12:24pm
My husband and I own the shop so we don't rely on tips, though it's always appreciated. I would sometimes tell people that bringing more people into our shop is the best tip they could give us.

I understand if your artist works on commission, normally s/he only gets half (or maybe even less) the amount s/he charges you. Or maybe the artist isn't the one who set the prices, but the owner of the shop does. Like piercings for example, these are set prices.

However, you shouldn't compare the artist shop owner and the artist that work in the shop, because the owner of the shop also have to pay for many things in order to run the shop (besides the everyday expenses like home, food, car insurance, etc.) while the artist only have to pay for their own ink, needles and such while working there ..

But again, giving tips means you think the service is outstanding and you want to show your appreciation. We have our regulars come in with cupcakes, redbulls, etc. so it's entirely up to you really.

Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: March/02/2010 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by ZombiePhlegm

Originally posted by xevious

you're the ones that charge that amount ;)us tipping you is a treat, you shouldn't expect it constantly!

actually, not always. I can't charge under a certain amount, sometimes shop pricing is set by the owner. Also, figure in that we have to pay for all our materials, health insurance is not something we can generally get, plus the fact that we don't get paid unless we do something. I have had times where I didn't make money for one or two weeks. Sometimes maybe only like 4-5 $50-60 tattoos. So sometimes I make nothing, or almost nothing. If it wasn't for the fact that my husband has a job, we'd be flat broke, especially since everyone is tight with their money these days. Theres been times when I almost had to get a second job to make sure we could make our mortgage. I also work in a city where people are cheap-asses no matter how good they're doing financially. Tallying up what I made last year, I actually made less than minimum wage. I made more when I worked at Subway.

I had a guy pull up yesterday in a brand new F150, brand new clothes, talking on a cellphone that I know cost him a good amount of money, and ask me how much it would be for a sleeve of tribal. Since I need money right now, I lowballed myself, saying that the one I have in my portfolio cost about $400 for the halfsleeve. It actually cost about $600. I then told him that It would probably be $7-800, and he looked at me like I just told him he was going to have to give me his car, his wallet, and all his children, and said "that's too expensive, I have a friend that'll do it for $100" and walked away.

I NEVER expect tips. They're nice, I'll admit, but most people don't because they think we're rolling in money. We're not. We charge what we charge so that we can actually make enough to support our families. I do this because I love it, and because I'd probably go insane if I had to work an annoying customer service or food service related job.
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
mspiggy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 77

Quote mspiggy Replybullet Posted: March/02/2010 at 1:03pm
^^^ +100000 x Ntimes
I agree with Xevious said above. People think tattoo artists and piercers make good money since their shop minimum is such and such upwards, but it's not like we have customers walk in everyday lining up for our works. It can goes for days without any customers walk in at all, and there are plenty of people would just price shopping and think they can always get somewhere cheaper.

Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version