Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Q&A for BMod Professionals
 BodyMod.org Forum : BMod Professional's Corner : Q&A for BMod Professionals
Message Icon Topic: Nerve damage. Post Reply Post New Topic
Prostethic_head
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 3

Quote Prostethic_head Replybullet Topic: Nerve damage.
    Posted: March/27/2010 at 9:58am
Have any of the piercers here ever damaged nerves? Ive obviously educated myself on where nerve branches are (behind ear, near tragus, third eye etc) but I was always under the impression you would have to go major deep to actually hit them. I did a microdermal on a girl (luckily it was a friend) behind her ear and it hit the nerve, permanently numbing her ear. I use dermal punches and did use the full length of the blade. This has really hit me hard and knocked my confidence as I simply do not fuck up with piercings. I now issue warnings in any place where there are nerve branches, even just now I did an eyebrow on the 'nose' side of it and gave a heads up to him, also I only use as much of the ounch as is necessary (3mmish). What are your experiences/opinions on this?
IP IP Logged
mspiggy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 77

Quote mspiggy Replybullet Posted: March/27/2010 at 12:38pm
I once had a girl came in with part of her arm paralyzed. It's due to the piercer hitting a vein while piercing her cartilage. You can avoid this by shining a flashlight though the back and front to map out the veins and avoid them while piercing. Luckily, once the jewelry was removed, she can feel her arm again. 
Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: March/27/2010 at 7:26pm

any time you are invading a body there is a chance to hit a nerve, cause irrepairable damage, introduce a foreign lifeform that can harm or even kill the host, or a myriad of other problems.  i myself suffer from nerve damage dealt by an experienced piercer when taking hooks for a suspension.  sometimes shit happens.  don't be too hard on yourself, but definitely take the opportunity to study your procedure and determine what you could have done to cause the problem and what you can do in future procedures to minimize said problems. 

that said, biopsy punches are not as simple as they appear.  a fascia massage should always be done before hand and the tissue should be raised off the subdermal musculature AT LEAST as far as the depth of the punch you are using.  a good technique to determine skin thickness is to get a solid pinch and imagine half of what you are pinching is skin, so it needs to be raised a minimum of that distance, plus the height of the insertion depth of the biopsy punch.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Prostethic_head
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote Prostethic_head Replybullet Posted: March/28/2010 at 7:03pm
Thanks guys, ya I usually do a massage and lift the skin, but its way harder behind the ear and also nerves are lifted with the skin. Do any of you warn people of potential nerve damage or do you just have it included in the consent form? In mine one of the terms is that Ive given the client a chance to ask about any risks, so Im covered there..
IP IP Logged
Prostethic_head
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote Prostethic_head Replybullet Posted: March/28/2010 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by mspiggy

I once had a girl came in with part of her arm paralyzed. It's due to the piercer hitting a vein while piercing her cartilage. You can avoid this by shining a flashlight though the back and front to map out the veins and avoid them while piercing. Luckily, once the jewelry was removed, she can feel her arm again. 

Veins can be checked, what Im wondering is is there any checks for nerves? A piercer once told me he pinches the skin with a hemostat and if theres nerves itll feel kinda like a 'jerk'. Iv done that check a good few times but never came up 'positive'. :P
IP IP Logged
mspiggy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 77

Quote mspiggy Replybullet Posted: April/02/2010 at 8:04pm
^^^ The paralyzed part I'm sure it's associated with the motor nerve, some others with sensory nerves (like what happened to your friend) or both. Even medical license practitioners make mistakes and cause nerve damage every so often but it's not to say that you don't have to be careful next time :D

The good thing is nerve cells do regenerate (provided the conditions are favorable) so once the object (jewelry in this case) is removed, there are good chances that the body will heal itself in no time.

Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean
IP IP Logged
Andrea Grogan
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Andrea Grogan Replybullet Posted: April/21/2010 at 2:08am
How about surface piercings on the spine particularily lower back and nape?
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: April/24/2010 at 2:23am
Originally posted by Andrea Grogan

How about surface piercings on the spine particularily lower back and nape?

what about them?  do they paralize people?  do you tie your own shoes in the morning?
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
holelottalove
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 7

Quote holelottalove Replybullet Posted: May/06/2010 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by mspiggy

Even medical license practitioners make mistakes and cause nerve damage every so often but it's not to say that you don't have to be careful next time :D
True - I'm training in dentistry, and I've seen a fair patients with limited paresthesia following extraction of lower third molars (wisdom teeth). Pushing these teeth downwards to break the periodontal ligament can sometimes force them into the inferior alveolar nerve and damage it. It can happen to anyone, even the most experienced oral & maxfax surgeons, just a risk you've gotta be prepared for Smile
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version