Message Icon Topic: Paying for apprenticeships Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
zobro
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote zobro Replybullet Topic: Paying for apprenticeships
    Posted: May/03/2010 at 8:14pm
As I see it, an apprenticeship is an exchange of labour for knowledge, practice, and employment in a craft, right?

There's a shop advertising for piercing apprenticeships in my area, but when I asked about the details, the apprentice would be throwing $1500 up front for an eighteen month apprenticeship program.  Is this considered shady or is there a legit reason for this?
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: May/04/2010 at 11:22pm
Pretty standard numbers. Some shops let you work it off, though shops like mine have someone who is paid to do the housekeeping and other 'apprentice' work, so our owner does charge for the apprenticeship.

you pay for trade school, you pay for college, paying for your trade training is perfectly reasonable to me.

so yeah, price and length are within norms. my only issue is an apprentice, even if paying, should still be someone you have faith in, get along with, respect as a person, and dedicated to the proffession and understanding of the necessary time and effort to train..... not just someone who can pay, and respond to a newspaper add.....
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: May/04/2010 at 11:34pm
^ +1
my apprentice isn't paying, but he's with me for 3 years before he's allowed to touch a client.  i split tips with him, but don't pay him.  when he is ready i'll be able to turn him loose on a studio and be completely confident that he will make me look good as a representative of what i've tought him.  he does cleanup, sets up my station, breaks it down, greets clients, gives aftercare, etc. for me.  i quiz him all the time on silly stuff that seems pointless but will become important to him in the future, when i'm not standing next to him to answer those same questions.   i wouldn't take on a paid apprentice because i don't believe it's something to be freely traded for money.  the drive and character of the person applying for it is the deciding factor for me. 

i have seen people charge between 500-5000$ for an apprenticeship, and been taken up on them. if someone is willing to teach you for that and you can afford it then it's definitely worth it if you learn what you need to know to support yourself and become a respectable member of the industry you wish to join.

realize that it is a HUGE commitment to join this industry.  it's not a part time job and your hours don't end when you walk out the door.  it is not easy to support even a small family with a piercer's salary and the training is intense.  a very large percent of apprentices do not make it to the end of their training.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
mspiggy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 77

Quote mspiggy Replybullet Posted: May/05/2010 at 11:03am
Well-said MontanaPiercer and Kcir...
Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: May/05/2010 at 2:07pm
We charge for apprenticeships, but it's not about the money.  We get asked about apprenticeships on a weekly basis.  The easiest way to weed out those who are only looking for a "cool" career is to tell them it costs X amount of money.  If they are committed enough to be willing to pay, then we can be reasonable confident that they would likely take the apprenticeship seriously.  If they aren't willing to put effort into it unless it's free, that says a lot about they're overall character.
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: May/05/2010 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Carrie_p2005

We charge for apprenticeships, but it's not about the money.  We get asked about apprenticeships on a weekly basis.  The easiest way to weed out those who are only looking for a "cool" career is to tell them it costs X amount of money.  If they are committed enough to be willing to pay, then we can be reasonable confident that they would likely take the apprenticeship seriously.  If they aren't willing to put effort into it unless it's free, that says a lot about they're overall character.

makes sense to me.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
Flogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 22

Quote Flogger Replybullet Posted: May/06/2010 at 9:09am
I definitely don't think there should be a charge for it. A body artist who accepts an apprentice does so (hopefully) with the intention of teaching him as well as learning something himself, an apprenticeship is good for both parties. Asking someone to be in a shop fulltime is really something big as that effectively cancels our the ability to have a job whilst being an apprentice, which means no money. If someone asked me to stop working now for 1-3 years (however long an apprenticeship is), how would i pay for rent? Food? All necessities? I wouldn't be able to, that's for sure.

But an apprentice who already devotes all his full time to the shop still needs to survive, so asking them to pay for it is IMO to expect too much.

Also, saying that a person is more devoted and serious because it costs money is a bit extreme, some people do have more money than others, in many cases it seems body artists come from places where they don't have all that much money.

Just my 2cents, I do think it works differently in the US compared to here though.
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: May/06/2010 at 3:09pm
flogger, the same could be said for any training program. Take college. They don't teach you for free just because you can't work and make your classes. Trade school either. The artist's have managed it themselves (working and apprenticing) so its not that big of a stretch to ask the same of you. My sister in law, just graduated with a bachelors degree. Worked one full time and one part time job in addition to full time school....

if you want it, you will make it happen. If you have to have a job outside of the ship, so be it. two full time jobs is only 80 hours a week. More than enough time in the day to do it both.

No sympathy for an unfortunate situation, not our responsibility... it's your as an apprentice.

For the record, I did not charge my apprentice. I understand why many do, and fully support them.
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: May/06/2010 at 3:39pm
bullshit. I had two kids and was a single mom going through my apprenticeship. If someone wants to charge money for an apprenticeship, and they are worth it, then they can charge if they want.
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: May/06/2010 at 10:10pm
I didn't say that someone who has the money to pay would take it more seriously than someone who could not afford.  I said someone who was willing to pay.  Meaning someone who understands that nothing in life gets handed to you, everything worth having comes with a price tag, and if you want it enough, you will find a way to make it happen.  If someone says "oh fuck that, I'm not gonna pay for you to teach me, " why would I want to invest my time in a person with that kind of attitude?  I have friends that help me out for free all the time, but what separates me from the leaches of the world, I would pay if asked.  And in a roundabout way, I do.  Friends, family, and a handful of regular clients very rarely pay full price for work, if they pay at all.

If an artist chooses to give an apprenticeship, or trade for the bitch work if that is the arrangement, more power to them.  If an artist charges, that's his/her choice.  No one says a person has to take the apprenticeship with an artist who charges.

I view tattoo/piercing apprenticeships as I do college.  Try telling your professor that you need to be paid for the term paper that you spent 20 hours researching and writing.

Edited by Carrie_p2005 - May/06/2010 at 10:14pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version