felonious drunk
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 78

Quote felonious drunk Replybullet Topic: Definition of a hack artist
    Posted: May/23/2010 at 9:55am
I would like to ask everyone of what it means to be a "hack"
We all know the stereotypes (and maybe it must be said),
but what can a hack tattoo artist do to be less of a scratcher?

I know that getting an apprenticeship is one of the greatest bits of advise for an aspiring body artist,
but is it truely a requirement? 
 UrbanDictionary's second definition for the word "hack" is;
"a person who is a professional at doing some sort of service, but does crappy work."
The only example of this word being used in a sentence is;
"man, that tattoo shop is full of hacks."

Is it possible that what we at BodyMod.Org call "hacks",

could be better described as "amatuers?"
An amatuer is a non-professional that does what they do because they love the work.
It also insinuates a lack of skill, and is often synonymous with "hobbyist."

IP IP Logged
TattooBox
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 53

Quote TattooBox Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 10:16am

A hack is a hack. Or a scratcher, it's more or less the same. It's not about the time you spent tattooing or your experience. It's just about doing crappy work.

Nothing to do with being amateur. You have two kind of amateurs, the good ones, and the scratchers. The good ones end up as artists, the bad ones stay scratchers for life.

To give you an example, Felonious, I'm posting a tattoo that I did after four months of tattoo (I'm not saying I'm fantastic, you can find guys that after four months of tattoo - bob tyrell or Boris to give a few examples, amongst many others - were doing much, much better. I just try to explain the difference between people who try their best, and people who just came for easy money and who don't give a shit about screwing up other people's skins).

Plus, even more than a question of natural abilites and gifts, it's a question of attitude. If you start to tattoo and you're lame at it, and you have a bad hand, and you can't draw, if you work everyday on it, you'll improve, and come to the point you'll be doing very good work.

It's mostly an attitude. You're an asshole, you came for the easy money, you take advantage of the stupidity and credulity of your peers, and you don't have any sense of responsibility. You don't work to improve, and you always stay the shit you are. You're not born a hack, you become it, day by day, after a long life of mediocrity.

Edited by TattooBox - May/23/2010 at 10:36am
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 10:46am
I would have tp say that Rouslan hit the nail on the head there.

And the hacks I've known generally have the biggest fucking heads.
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
TattooBox
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 53

Quote TattooBox Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 11:12am
Oh and about all your apprenticeship blah blah, Felonious... I never did apprenticeship, I learned everything on my own. And I can name you more names of top level tattoo artists that learned by themselves than of artists who went through apprenticeship.

So the difference between a hack and a scratcher obviously doesn't come from that, right? Actually, a hack and a scratcher are the same person, with or without a shop, and they both strive for the same goal, easy money.

I don't say there that tattoo artists don't like money. I do like money. But it's not the main priority. First, good work. Then, do as much as I can.
IP IP Logged
felonious drunk
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 78

Quote felonious drunk Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 1:50pm

I'm glad that you were first to respond to this thread Rouslan.

I had you in mind when I started this thread.
By no means would I call you a hack or a scratcher;
for you are a good example of a talented self taught artist.

Whether or not this is true to the actual definition of a "hack";
a problem that I have seen in many hack artists is an absence of following an ethical code.
Morals and ethics can be considered only an opinion,
but I have a problem with artists who show no respect for age of consent.

Even when tattooing underground/illegally an artist should take some responsibility for tattoos that could ruin a young person's life.
It is wrong to take advantage of a customer's stupidity;
I could not agree with you more Rouslan.

IP IP Logged
Jeeennnnniiiii
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 23

Quote Jeeennnnniiiii Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 1:55pm
unless it's a girl who wants stars all over her face. then they really deserve it
well i might have somethin' to say about that, space man!
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 3:07pm
+1 to rouslan's post...

a lot of hacks are great bullshit artists though...

as in, convincing weak minded individuals of the general public that they are, in fact, good tattoo artists and that they shouldn't go just down the street a little bit to a good shop with a good reputation with actual good artists to get the tattoos they want...

if someone does a tattoo for you for $20 and a six pack of bud-lights... that person's a hack...

the proliferation of tattooing in the media lately (past ten years) has given a steep rise in people who want to tattoo, think that they too can live that rockstar life they see in LA INK, and they dont want to put in the hard work that it takes to produce quality tattoos...
instead, they buy some general crap equipment from ebay, and decide that they're now tattoo artists....
IP IP Logged
kcir
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 4

Quote kcir Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 3:33pm
it's good to see you back, dave. i agree the end result defines the hack more than the beforehand.

an apprenticeship is necessary if there is a pre-existing knowledge of (not something you read on the interwebs) sanitary working environment, wound aftercare, first aid, drawing/drafting/sketching, customer interaction, troubleshooting biological irritants, color balance, differentiating between texture/color/thickness of skin and working accordingly, sterilization and proper handling of "sterile" equipment, biohazardous workplace, soldering, electrical pathing, electromagnetism, musculature, etc... AND have expirmented on oneself first to the point of being confident in ability to perform said procedure....

that said, an apprenticeship isn't a requirement, it's an introductory course that lays a foundation for understanding your trade. some people can learn for years and still suck.

if you can't do a clean tattoo to save your life then it should be easy to make the moral decision not to continue to tattoo.
BMOD WARNING: This user is notorious for instigation and general ass-hattery. Please don't take any cynical comments seriously. Thank you.
IP IP Logged
belle
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 25

Quote belle Replybullet Posted: May/23/2010 at 10:23pm
make your own mind up...
LuSeraph      is a "pro"
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

IP IP Logged
DeaOfScelestus
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 74

Quote DeaOfScelestus Replybullet Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:35am
Photobucket
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version