Message Icon Topic: Tongue Re-Split Experiences Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
JohnnyVilonious
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 7

Quote JohnnyVilonious Replybullet Topic: Tongue Re-Split Experiences
    Posted: November/06/2010 at 4:21pm
So the regrowth has kicked my ass and I know I'm gonna have to split again.

I didnt really enjoy the healing process the first time.  Having stitches in your tongue isn't fun.

Should I be expecting the same the second time around?  It seems to me like it wont be as bad because:

1. We're only cutting back about 1/2 an inch
2. It doesnt feel like theres much meat in there.  Just skin and scar tissue.
3. I already know how to use it.  I feel like part of what made the first time so shitty was because I couldn't talk with it yet, even if the stitches werent there.

So what have you guys gone through?  I mainly wanna hear from people who were sutured both times (since thats what I'm up against)

IP IP Logged
xjessiex
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote xjessiex Replybullet Posted: November/07/2010 at 12:46am

I didn't suture, but this reminds me I need to re-cut...kind of makes me glad I didn't bother with the sutures though! I had been debating about having them at some point to see if it stopped the regrowth more...

Can I ask how long it was since you first had it cut/sutured?
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."
IP IP Logged
Cortex
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Cortex Replybullet Posted: November/07/2010 at 12:58am
I self split with a scalpel and resplit the same way, both with no sutures. The only thing I remember about the resplit vs. the initial split was that bits of food would get stuck in the gap and were annoying to get out, but with sutures I suppose that doesn't happen.

The sutures in scar tissue might be a bit more uncomfortable because it's more rigid I suppose. Also it's only the middle section of the tongue that's cut/sewn and there's less movement there compared to the tip so it should heal without as much drama
IP IP Logged
JohnnyVilonious
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote JohnnyVilonious Replybullet Posted: November/07/2010 at 10:03am
Originally posted by xjessiex

I didn't suture, but this reminds me I need to re-cut...kind of makes me glad I didn't bother with the sutures though! I had been debating about having them at some point to see if it stopped the regrowth more...

Can I ask how long it was since you first had it cut/sutured?

Its been about 5 months since my initial split.  About 50% regrowth.  I didnt have a piercing first to anchor.

Its amazing.  When you want your body to heal, it doesnt, and when you dont want it to heal (fuckin regrowth) it does.
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: November/07/2010 at 10:16am
My boyfriend had his split three times and still only has a baby tongue split. He got stitches the first time but not the 2nd or 3rd.. He doesn't think the stitches would have made a difference the other times, because of how little his tongue is. All the regrowth started after the piercer took the stitches out.

His second and third time healed a ton easier than the first - he could talk and eat easier. 
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
zobro
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote zobro Replybullet Posted: November/07/2010 at 2:44pm
I've heard that splits with an electrocautery machine tend to help with the regrowth issue.
IP IP Logged
LauraOFace
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote LauraOFace Replybullet Posted: November/07/2010 at 2:46pm
EC all the way I say :D
Gone wandering
IP IP Logged
MrJonz
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 112

Quote MrJonz Replybullet Posted: November/08/2010 at 12:12am
Originally posted by LauraOFace

Good girl.  Wink

Really though I don't see issues necessarily between the 2 methods, but I exclusively perform the procedure via EC.  No bleeding and no need for sutures.  As far as regrowth is concerned, of the ones I've personally performed, I've seen/heard of very little/minimal regrowth.  With any way you choose to get this done there's always the chance of some possible regrowth to occur.  But keeping something (gauze for example) in between the 2 halves during the healing process (and sometimes a lil longer after that too) can also assist in dissuading that to happen.
Body Mods by Jonz
IP IP Logged
JohnnyVilonious
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote JohnnyVilonious Replybullet Posted: November/08/2010 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by tattooedtrish

My boyfriend had his split three times and still only has a baby tongue split. He got stitches the first time but not the 2nd or 3rd.. He doesn't think the stitches would have made a difference the other times, because of how little his tongue is. All the regrowth started after the piercer took the stitches out.

His second and third time healed a ton easier than the first - he could talk and eat easier. 

See thats what Im afraid of.  Going through the whole thing again to still end up with the same damn split.  My split is still pretty deep, I cant complain too much.  Luckily my tongue was a pretty good candidate and we were able to go pretty deep, but I'm dissappointed in the way it looks right now.  It doesnt really look like 2 tongues, more like I just cut my tongue in half :(

I am glad to hear that the healing wasnt so bad.  It sounds like your boyfriend and I have similar issues with our tongues.  My regrowth was the same way.  The stitches didnt seem to make any difference at all.

Originally posted by MrJonz

Originally posted by LauraOFace

Good girl.  Wink

Really though I don't see issues necessarily between the 2 methods, but I exclusively perform the procedure via EC.  No bleeding and no need for sutures.  As far as regrowth is concerned, of the ones I've personally performed, I've seen/heard of very little/minimal regrowth.  With any way you choose to get this done there's always the chance of some possible regrowth to occur.  But keeping something (gauze for example) in between the 2 halves during the healing process (and sometimes a lil longer after that too) can also assist in dissuading that to happen.

The only thing I personally dont like about EC is, since it doesnt bleed, it doesnt get to drain any of the fluids.

Edited by JohnnyVilonious - November/08/2010 at 7:58pm
IP IP Logged
MrJonz
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 112

Quote MrJonz Replybullet Posted: November/08/2010 at 8:10pm
No its just the dead skin you have to wait to slough off for.

And the taste of burned chicken for about a week.
Body Mods by Jonz
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version