Page  of 4 Next >>
Echovi
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 13

Quote Echovi Replybullet Topic: Magnetic Impant
    Posted: November/20/2010 at 9:29pm

Introduction
 When I started talking to friends about my intentions in getting a magnetic implant, I was met with either awe and happy smiles, or the more common and predictable malicious face of disgust. Best to shake your head and forget the latter. This article, however, is not about my distaste to the ignorant attitudes of others. This article is being written because with disregard to all other comments, I was asked by a friend to write a journal with the objective of relaying my experiences on to anyone else who in the future may plan to get a magnetic implant for themselves. Of course, due to the fact that this procedure is resting on a fueled pyre, ready to be burnt due to its less-than-legal status, names will be excluded. That is unless the persons wish to reveal themselves. I will first present to you my experience during the procedure, followed by a day-to-day journal of the healing process for the first week. After this first week, the journal may not be day to day, but I will keep you up to date on how everything goes. I will be writing it in a style that makes it seem as if it were an entry in my little pink diary. Bear with me, and don't worry, I won't tell you about Jimmy kissing me. I do hope not to miss any major details, but I am only human, so please make requests as you wish. Oh, and yes, there will be plenty of pictures. Please be patient for picture from during the procedure.
"Deep Breath in..."
 I chose to have my MI(Magnetic Implant) procedure done on Friday, the 19th, of November, this year of 2010. I originally planned on having it done the day before, but due to work and timing, it wasn't to be. It all worked out in the end because I was able to get plenty of sleep beforehand, something I'd recommend for anyone before any procedure. I had to sludge through work with a heavy anticipation and brutal excitement I couldn't shake off. Finally, I clocked out and made my way over to the shop as quickly as I could. The shop was busy, so I chilled with a couple friends until it died down. The artist started preparing all the tools, equipment, room, so on. I washed my hands, scrubbed and scrubbed. Shortly after he told me it was time, so I went into the room, where my artist prepped my hand, cleaning it even more so. The actual incision and placement site was to be my left ring finger, so I placed it in the sterile procedure zone, and sat in the chair I was given. I began feeling light-headed, I looked white apparently. I was advised to take a break, I obliged. I drank some water(with my other hand of course), had some candy for sugar. Not long after I had my color back. Its nothing new, I don't mind pain, but apparently I get myself too worked up sometimes. A couple minutes later, we got back to it. I'm trying hard to recall everything that happened, its hard. I didn't have the chance to see it all, but for your benefit I'll do my best. My artist said 'Take a deep breath in' and being the smart ass I am, I say 'Deep Breath Is In'. With that, he made the first incision. It was brutal, bad, An 8 gauge elevation tool was used to make a pocket, not pleasant in the least. Comparable to...well...a large gauge piece of metal being pushed through your finger. A soft trickle of blood went down my finger, nice bit of it pooled up behind my hand on the bib. MI placed inside the pocket to the side of the finger. My artist begins suturing, which was probably the easiest part of the procedure, but still not fun. My finger was cleaned up, made to look pretty. All the while my friend took picture after picture, very grateful for that.
[IMG]http://www.bodymod.org/HC/HCImages/13735/13735-med.jpg" height="333" width="500">">
Scalpel making the first incision.
[IMG]http://www.bodymod.org/HC/HCImages/13736/13736-med.jpg" height="333" width="500">">
Making the pocket
  When my artist finished cleaning me up, he told me to hold on and that after he took care of some sharps, we'd play a little game. He took the suturing needle and placed it on the bib under my hand, and told me to try pick it up. I placed my finger near the needle, and the needle wiggled. I pulled it away...a little shocking. I should have expected it, but its not normal for needles to wiggle because your finger is sitting next to it. I put my finger right over it, it jumped up and rested against skin. It was amazing, overwhelmingly happy. Finished cleaning up, sat around the shop, talked about life. We all went out to supper, Chinese buffet, yum. I had to give my artist a hug, he's helping me become myself after all. No regrets.
[IMG]http://www.bodymod.org/HC/HCImages/13738/13738-med.jpg" height="333" width="500">">
First Day
I will count the time from saying goodnight to my artist on to the end of the night the next day as my first day, and then everyday after as morning to night. Later that night I went to a friend's house, talking. I'm very animated when talking and I accidentally waved my arms and slammed them down on my sides and instantly grabbed my left wrist and yelled in pain. Haven't done that since. In fact, in writing this paragraph, I accidentally typed using the wrong finger, sending out several four-lettered words. Even with a bandage on it, its not something that tickles. I've learned that everything has to be done differently, my ring finger is always extended, and because of that I can't keep it warm with a fist. If I had known, I wouldn't have done this in New York's cold November climate.
[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs932.snc4/74504_458446388546_780923546_5708439_6794383_n.jpg" height="213" width="296">">
My finger-tip is a bit swollen, slightly bruised, and very sore. Several instances of accidentally bumping it against objects. I'm learning quickly not to ignore my hand ever. I've been keeping up with my H2Ocean applications as I should. Keeping a band-aid on it. Can't wait until this suture is out. By the way, only one suture used, very well done. I estimate a clean smooth scar. I've been bad, been picking up light objects with it. I was advised not to try picking heavy things up with it. Well, I have played with a paperclip from time to time. Not pushing it, not going through that procedure again. Towards the end of the night I had some fun in the bmod chat playing with a paperclip. I could get used to this.
[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs952.snc4/74506_458445108546_780923546_5708433_60341_n.jpg" height="213" width="297">
It hasn't bled at all since the suture went in and the blood coagulated. As the day progressed, the sore feeling decreased. Not bad at all if I don't bump it into anything. Oh, and I still don't regret it. Not at all, love it.
Day Two
Alright, so to start off day two, I'd like to make mention of last nights activities. After publishing the prior writings on bmod, I went out to a friend's house, drank a bit of beer, got intoxicated. I do not recommend this. The prevalence of hitting your hand against inanimate and personal body surfaces rises greatly. With all that being said, doesn't appear to me that I did any real damage. Magnetic Implant still in it's placed position, sutures intact. The bruising is light, but still present. I still cannot fully extend my finger without getting a sharp pain at the site of the MI. Its still a little swollen, I've been taking my Ibuprofen to try and reduce it, which has helped a little bit. It does not have radiating sensitivity anymore. What I mean by this is that it does not hurt to touch the skin around it. The only part that really hurts is where the magnet is sitting(about a centimeter to the left of the incision site) and the area which was cut and sutured. This is good news for me, I have some band-aid goo and dry blood that I really need to clean off that I couldn't before due to the pain.     As for the strength of pull coming from the magnet, its a bit stronger than yesterday. I would estimate its do to the reduction in swelling, but maybe the magnet shifted a bit closer to the skin after I bumped it last night? I'm not sure, but either way its safe, and strong. I'm picking up safety pins today, where as I could only lift them a little bit off one edge. I need to find my paperclip from yesterday.
[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs485.ash2/75819_458879443546_780923546_5717145_3986521_n.jpg" height="206" width="287">
After posting yesterday, I had my artist read over it. I made a correction or two per his say, which I asked for. Besides that, he also told me it'd be fine to mention his name, Loran Shumway. He's a body modification artist in Olean, NY. He co-owns Eclectic Body Art, and he's a good buddy of mine. He has given me all my body implant work.    That is it for now, its 14:00, I need food and to go into EBA for more pictures for you guys. I'll post more later. Peace
Day Three
 I'm writing this bit in a rush since its a work day, but I just want to give an update as far as condition of my finger. Swelling has gone down quite a bit since the actual procedure. Its not sore anymore, only with its touched or the finger is hyperextended. I'd like to clarify the point about pain on extension. I know I said I always have it extended, but I never have it extended completely. For some reason that sends a sharp pain through my finger. I have some theories as to why, but I'll wait to share them. Bruising is about the same as the previous couple days, a light shade of purple-blue. Strength of the magnet seems to be the same as well. Another topic I'd like to bring up for everyone's consideration is this: I found that there is a VERY specific spot for picking up the metal items. As of right now, I need to place the tiny spot right on top of the metal object in order to pick it up. If I'm a little bit off, it'll just pull up a bit, then flop off. I'm sure the size of this 'magnetic pull focal point' will grow in size as the healing progresses, but I'm still getting used to it.
Day Four
So today was interesting. First off, still bruised and swollen. Not so painful though. Able to make a fist, which is great because now I can grip items with my left hand again, in addition to keeping my finger warm of course. I'm taking extra NSAIDs to reduce the swelling. For those who don't know, NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, drugs like Ibuprofen. Their purpose, in addition to pain-relief, are to reduce swelling. Hopefully I can get the swelling and bruising to go down, get my mod back on the right path for healing. I trust my body is keeping it swollen to help it heal, but it gets in the way of not being able to move properly and thus my reasoning is that this only allows me to catch it on tables, steering wheels, people, etc...thus hurting it more. It seems to be getting a little stronger each day, but It seems to be having a temperamental attitude with me. Sometimes it works brilliantly, other times it does not. This being mainly when I'm trying to show it off, making me look like a fool. It does seem to be popping out of my finger a bit more. A slight bump. I consulted Loran, my artist about it, he said it's fine. I'm hoping it's just making it's way out to the surface a bit more. This would be perfect, adding to it's strength. As for the actual incision, it looks no more than a little paper cut. I'm completely confident that when the time comes to have my suture out, it'll be close to being healed shut. Some of you may have had surgery or surgical mods done in the past and may be wondering what it's like to have a suture at the tip of your finger. I myself felt a lingering curiosity during my first few hours as to what I'll be like to go through day-to-day activities with a suture sticking out. Honestly, with the bandage on most of the time its hardly noticeable at all. It seems to be a little itchy, but I leave that little bit of annoyance as the product of my application of H2Ocean and then immediately applying a bandage. My bad, I'm just in a rush from time to time. My lack of modesty has left me showing off my new found abilities in public. Sorry, I'm not bashful in the least. I can easily attract some attention with it, and I'm hardly far from knowing many of you would do the same. It gets some fun stares, and I even freaked out a few people to the point that they forced themselves to look away with only an intermittent stolen glance.
Day Five
    Today, I awoke to see that most, if not all my swelling is gone! I love Ibuprofen. No pain at all. Still bruised considerably. The skin feels a bit tight when a fist is made. I like the feeling though, it means it isn't painful. I've been asked several times what type of magnet I have had implanted inside of me. I'll describe it now. It is a neodymium iron boron alloy magnet with a thin gold plating which as a mold injected silicone coating. The magnet, though small, is very strong. However, it will not wipe credit cards, nor does it affect electronics. I have been using my Ipod Touch and my phone with full contact to the magnetic finger and have no problems at all. As for the ''Magnetic Vision'', It should take about 6-7 months. Unfortunately for you, not too much to say for today. Keep tuned though, more soon.
Day Six
Not too much to report on today either. Still bruised, no swelling, no pain. I do have one thing I'd like to touch on. Someone asked me what it feels like to have the magnet find something it's pulled to. Well, while I haven't been purposefully putting it next to anything with a strong magnetic pull, it has happened once or twice by accident. It hasn't been tugged on by a strong magnet, thank goodness, but what I have experienced are light pulls from small objects or magnets. As far as that goes, it only feels like a light push or pulling feeling coming from inside the skin. I have been advised not to allow this to happen, else it may cause it to reject, so I won't chance it. I just figured I'd share it with all of you.
[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1194.snc4/154673_461970383546_780923546_5760977_5617786_n.jpg" height="240" width="300">

Day Seven
So the first week of healing is over with. I ended up taking my suture out after my post yesterday. Tickles coming out, it's an odd feeling. Shortly after taking it out I noticed my magnet's pull is stronger. I hardly believe this to be related to the removal of my suture. My wound looks odd, it seems the suture was starting to cut into my skin, so now it looks as if I had an X cut into my finger instead of just a single cut. I don't mind, the X looks great. Chicks dig scars, right?    Well, I'm not screwing around, besides my favorite little safety pin, I'm not trying to pic up a single heavy object. Its not worth going through all this again. In a month I should be able to play around some more.     Well, being the end of the first week, sorry to say guys, I'm going to be lengthening the time between posts. There isn't enough information to give all of you everyday at this point. I'll continue to post pictures as I take them.
[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1227.snc4/155985_461973008546_780923546_5761028_8178019_n.jpg" height="240" width="300">
Week Two
So, not much going on differently in my mods second week. I'm still getting used to the large bump in my finger that is squishy when poked. I can pick up slightly heavier objects now. The skin around the incision kind of dried and split. I apologize for not having taken a pic, but I kind of had to peel it. My artist says that the peeling is normal. I'm not worried. The skin tissue left after the peeling is smooth, with only a barely visible scar underneath.
Week Three
Wound is completely healed, no tenderness upon hard pressure. Its an odd sensation pressing down on it, moving it around and having the sensation that the magnet follows late inside my skin with the movement. Its kind of as if there is a pocket of water sloshing around as i wave my hand around, but this of course is not so. I can pick up both the safety pin and paperclip while they're attached to one another. I've been finding more and more objects that are of a magnetic metal that I can move with the magnet, but most items found are too heavy to pick up. After next week I should be able to play with the larger objects and magnets without guilt.
      An interesting conversation was brought up on page three of this topic. The Magnetic Implant, to the best of my memory, is not autoclaved. rather it is soaked, or marinated if you will, in an antimicrobial compound. Why is this done, I am not sure. I plan on asking my artist the next chance I get.
[IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs098.snc4/36244_468969018546_780923546_5871621_4394075_n.jpg" height="250" width="300">">
February 10th

I apologize for taking so long to post, but up until today I had nothing new to speak about. However, this morning I went to use the microwave and to my surprise I felt something in my little magnetic fingertip. I instantly moved to the Can Opener knowing that would put out a lot of EM and I was right. A strong...feeling came over my magnetic portion of my finger. Kind of like a gentle rocking feeling, or a vibration. Its hard to explain. It just feel unreal.

Edited by Echovi - August/10/2012 at 12:02am
IP IP Logged
Cidmy
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 14

Quote Cidmy Replybullet Posted: November/20/2010 at 9:35pm
very well documented Mack! it is a very awesome mod!
IP IP Logged
Braids
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 30

Quote Braids Replybullet Posted: November/20/2010 at 9:44pm
but i wanna hear about jimmy kissing you greytongue well written mack, keep us informed Big%20Grin
omnomnom
IP IP Logged
LauraOFace
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote LauraOFace Replybullet Posted: November/21/2010 at 8:47am
Excellent Write up and Pictures! :D
Gone wandering
IP IP Logged
Cidmy
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 14

Quote Cidmy Replybullet Posted: November/21/2010 at 9:21am
and after all... did Jimmy kiss you?
IP IP Logged
Echovi
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote Echovi Replybullet Posted: November/21/2010 at 2:34pm
Are the pictures big enough for all of you?

Day 2 Up
IP IP Logged
standingtyping
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 33

Quote standingtyping Replybullet Posted: November/21/2010 at 2:59pm
*envious*

edit to say: the pics are a teensy bit small

Edited by standingtyping - November/21/2010 at 3:45pm
"One day we will be the most awesome crazy cat ladies EVER...
people will know us."
IP IP Logged
poopypopss
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote poopypopss Replybullet Posted: November/21/2010 at 3:27pm
excellent man! keep us posted on the healing and lots and lots of pictures! 
IP IP Logged
Echovi
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote Echovi Replybullet Posted: November/21/2010 at 5:28pm
Procedure pictures finally up
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: November/21/2010 at 5:40pm
good goin man.... looking forward to seeing the progression of this...

more people should keep such detailed logs of procedures and healing/experiences..... 

then we could just send people a link instead of trying to explain over and over when they ask questions about specific mods...
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version