<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Hardcore Experiences
 BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Hardcore Experiences
Message Icon Topic: Skully Branding Experience/Healing Log Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Topic: Skully Branding Experience/Healing Log
    Posted: November/23/2010 at 11:00pm
Firstly, I apologize for the length of this post...

On July 3, 2010 at Skindependence 2010 in Billings Montana I got branded. 
I had always considered getting a branding ever since my first time, many years ago, seeing a branding on human flesh.  However, I never got the chance to get one of my own from a reputable artist.
Bmod User MrJonz was in attendance at SkinD doing brandings and piercings... So, I figured "why the hell not?"
In a matter of only about 30 minutes I made the decision to get burned and even less time was taken to consider the design... The Bodymod.org Skully would be the artwork... making mine, the very first (known) Skully branding....

I have kept, to the best of my ability, a detailed log on my Facebook of the healing and sensations, along with pictorial evidence...  
everything from here forward, with the exception of minor changes, was taken directly from my facebook photo album... complete with the information i provided with the photos at the time of posting.

And, here it is...   I will break the posts up into sections...   enjoy..

if there are any questions that anyone would like to ask about the healing, I will answer with the utmost of sincerity...   These are only my experiences with a branding on my body... your results may, and will, vary...

----------------

outline done

completed piece only hours old

The pain of the procedure is a very unique one... as a whole, i would say that it's nearly twice as painful as getting a tattoo in the same area, but only while the utensil in on/in the skin... almost immediately after, the pain would subside to a dull sting similar to an average sunburn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 of healing the brand...

very tender skin surrounding, no discharge, very difficult to sleep (i'm a side sleeper)

day 3 healing the Bodymod.org brand..

very tender skin surrounding, very red skin surrounding (like a bad sunburn, which is basically a first degree burn)

little discharge

Day 4 healing the brand.

the blister is visible on the middle spike going into the head portion...

healing has been uneventful so far... a minor bit of discharge and the usual tightness feeling of the skin, tenderness, and redness usually associated with the healing of a tattoo... no pain, but still tender

Day 5 healing.

lots of discharge today, the blister in the spike burst today... milky white/yellow discharge...
dabbing it softly with a gauze pad to remove discharge...
one spike began to peel as i was cleaning discharge, it was completely loose from the skin by the end of the day... clipped it off with a pair of medical scissors...

border on the bottom began to peel and bleed a little... that area seems deeper than the rest, but no worries says the man...

little pain, little redness around the brand, still tender to the touch...

healing thus far has been comparable to a large tattoo in regards to pain, tenderness, and redness....

Day 6 of healing

major changes today, obviously...

major drainage overnight and into the day... dabbing away with gauze pad, picking crusted bits with cleaned, freshly washed hands....
lower portion of branded flesh came loose today, similar to a scab falling off.... peeled away the loose portion, and snipped away that bit from the remaining branded flesh with a pair of suture scissors...

peroxide rinse after a quick wash with anti-bacterial soap... dried well....

tender to the touch in areas directly adjacent to the brand...
redness is localized to untouched skin inside the brand...
still "tight" feeling... difficult to fully extend my arm without agitation in pain...
not painful, but just enough so to be bothersome and unable to 'block' it out...

day 7 of healing

today, as you can see, most all of the scabbing/burned flesh came off...

i wrapped the brand with non-stick pads in order to conceal it under a shirt for a family function today.... my family is receptive to my mods, but not to the "nasty" look of a healing wound.... it was a respect thing...

upon taking the bandage off, i found that the scabs/flesh that remained had become very soft and stuck to the non-stick pads... they came off the skin easily...

the exposed new skin is very very tender, and painful to the touch.... today has brought the pain that i had expected to come days ago...
it is painful in a stinging sort of way, very much so not able to 'tune it out'.....

Day8

no change from yesterday

a tiny bit more scab came off... no new updates to make...

pain in the tolerable region, stings when arm is moved...

Day 9

no new updates to speak of...

small bits of the scabbing were snagged off due to a hard brush against a door frame today...... that hurt like a fucking BITCH!!!!!!!! a whole new level of pain that was.....

discharge seeping from under the scabbing..... milky white, with a very slight tint of yellow....

Day 10 of healing

the final bit of the original scabbing came off today... it was (in this photo) near the bottom (photo)left portion of the outline... near the jaw of the skull....

concerned about the spikes going into the head....

discharge is like it has been, minimal, but seeping... milky white/slightly yellow...

the scabbing that is there now is not scabbing in the normal sense in that it feels more like dried discharge rather than solidified platelets.....

pain is just how it has been for a few days.... stinging to the touch and to movement.... not able to completely tune out the stinging, as my arm is almost always in motion...
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: November/23/2010 at 11:05pm

Day 11 of Healing

again, no new things to report as far as major stuff...

sensations...

decreasingly painful as the scabs begin to crack and expand as my arm moves.... the cracks in the scabs are filled in with new scab, causing a lessening of the pain from extension or movement of my arm....

did a quick wash with antibacterial soap today as i had it exposed to the elements today at work...

concerned of the integrity of the spike going into the head, as you can see it looks as if the skin connecting it to the unbranded border seems to have been taken over by the brand and will scar like the rest...

hopeful though...

considering doing scab peels every other day to promote more scarring.... especially in the border.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 12 of Healing

pretty much the same as Day 11 was....

i have a long standing compulsion to pick scab, and today i gave into it on the brand.... :(

hoping that the picking will cause more scars, but in reality i was doing it mindlessly before i realized that i was doing it...

SOOOOoooooo... yea...

sensations...

still stinging to movement of the arm,
no stinging if arm is stationary...
most stinging if i fully straighten my arm, or fold my arm in at the elbow completely.... at a 90* elbow/arm resting position, no stinging, no pain...

there is a dull ache, like a deep tissue bruise would throb slightly and ache.... this started yesterday, and became more noticeable today....

Day 13 of healing..

ok, so.... i gave in today and picked the fuck outta some scabs.... as you can see.....

needles to say, picking some of them hurt like an angry bitch.... i think that a couple that i picked off were directly connected to the central nervous system.... and blood veins.... there was a bit of that...

anywho....

the pain has subsided considerably after the scabs were off, i guess the hard scabs were pulling weird on the skin and causing that stinging pain i spoke of in the previous posts....
that's not to say that the pain and stinging has gone away.... the stinging is still there, but not as strong... the pain comes in waves, but not at all bad...

Day 14

no change to speak of from yesterday's post...

will continue the daily posts until the last bits of the scabs come off the forehead area.... then, i'll go to either once every other day, or once every two days.....

Day 15 of healing

again, no real change....

stinging has almost completely gone away except for when i fold my arm at the elbow completely.....

still can't lay on that side without pain...

Day 16 of healing

i was able to sleep on my right side for the first time in 16 days... the right side sleeping position is my usual way, so it was a nice night's rest.... finally....

even more of the final scabbing has come off.... had a little help.... i'm agitating the fuck outta it trying to get some really good scars....

the forehead area is still giving a bit of a trouble in the pain spectrum.... stings rather solidly when extending the arm and folding the arm completely...

overall, i'm happy with the progress to this point...

the pink areas are not raised, they're actually trenched into the skin....

i doubt i will have any raised scars at all on this....

Day 17 of healing...

quite a few of the remaining scabs came off today... it was a very very very hot day (heat index of 110*F) and i was working outside all day.... the sweat must have softened the scabs considerably and they were rubbed off on my shirt sleeve...

Day 18 of healing

again, very very hot day at work, the sweat softened the scabs considerably and my work shirt's sleeve abraded the scabs off.....
i have only picked off loose/hanging scabs for the past week or so...

i'm very much interested in what color/type of scars are going to be produced by the brand in the long term....

obviously, there has been a considerable amount of blurring to the lines, but that is to be expected...

pain is all but gone,
stinging a bit still when arm is fully extended and bent completely inward at the elbow...

Day 19

very close to complete scabbage awayness.... :D

for some reason the scab at the front of the jawline of the skull shape is discolored.... see that?
i dunno why that is, i can't find a reason, nor can i remember a reason..... sooooo... i dunno... feels no different than what a 'normal' scab would though...

the new growth scar and the surrounding skin is very very very dry, to the point of flaking off.... i will persevere and not do any lotion or ointment treatments so that the scar can have ample chance to do it's thing...

in other news,

all stinging and pain are completely gone, save for the minor bit of stinging when the arm is bent completely at the elbow and when i lay directly on the healing brand while sleeping... but even then, it's more than bearable... so YAY!

Day 20 of the healing...

i missed posting last night, but this photo was taken last night.... so, :P

i scrubbed the fuck outta the brand with one of those Axe brand Body Scrubber things whilst in the shower yesterday.......... that kidna sucked.... gonna take another shower in an hour or so after making this post and do that again....

no change on the pain front from the last post...

IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: November/23/2010 at 11:11pm

Day 23
Still a little scabby, Very Itchy and Flakey
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 26 of healing. No notable change.. Itchy and flaky (dry)

Day 30 of healing

as you can see, the healing has pretty much stalled.... i have noticed no appreciable change in nearly a week...

the resulting scar tissue that you see here is very dry, flaking, quite itchy at times... and, to a small degree, sensitive to the touch.... though, not in an easily explainable way... the sensation is actually rather confusing...... not painful, nearly a stinging but not when direct pressure is applied.... if a pinching pressure, or off axis pressure (non perpendicular to the surface of the skin) is applied then the sensation comes...

Day 32 of healing

significant fading of existing scar tissue along (viewer's) top left section...

it's very dry, flaky... itchy at times....

new hair growing through the scar tissue is sensitive to pulling (more so than usual)....

Day 36 of healing...

various areas have begun to 'puff' up in a raised scar tissue... all the scar tissue is very soft, dry, and flaky....

Day 43 of healing

still very dry, but not as much so as the last updates... still flaking a bit, but no biggie...

the outline scar around the bottom is beginning to raise, the top is not raised as of now... it's staying flush with the rest of the skin..

the scar area around the eyes, nose, and mouth/jaw is raising as well... the forehead area and the rest are (as of yet) still not raising...

it gets very itchy at times... the highlight of my day has become scrubbing it vigorously with a washcloth or an Axe Body Scrubber thingy in the shower..... feels soooo goood.... (that sounds wrong)

Day 60 of Healing

no real change from the last post...
the bottom portion of the brand is raising into some nice raised scars... the top half, not so much...

still itchy at times....

Day 73

there it is, in it's full glory....

the parts that look raised... are..... the spike on the (viewer's) right and the bit of the outline on the (viewer's) right under that spike are raised considerably more raised that other parts...

4 months and 1 day old....

IP IP Logged
INKLIZRD
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 8

Quote INKLIZRD Replybullet Posted: November/24/2010 at 1:06am
Thank you ..
This very informative & well documented ...

complete scabbage awayness....
Is that the medical term ???
IP IP Logged
merrry
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 55

Quote merrry Replybullet Posted: November/24/2010 at 1:28am
looks good!
AKA: The Queen Of Hugs, Naughty Girl Extraordinaire, Merrrypoppin, Merrry Contrary and Sunshine. I'm also Proud To Be A Persnickety Bitch!
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 73

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: November/24/2010 at 3:36am
Excellent scar journal  
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
belle
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 25

Quote belle Replybullet Posted: November/24/2010 at 4:23am
i must admit i take my hat off to anyone whom gets a scar this way.....i whinge like a bitch when i get the teeniest tinyest tiity bitty burn. well done chris, it lokks fab. MrJonz did this didnt he? great job. Nod
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: November/24/2010 at 11:31am
There's one part that's confusing me...in the original photo, it appears that just the outline was burned, but in the rest of the pictures, the solid part of the skull appears to have been burned as well.  Was the first picture taken before it was finished, or did he do something to the inside of the skull that I just can't see in the picture?
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: November/24/2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by INKLIZRD

Thank you ..
This very informative & well documented ...

complete scabbage awayness....
Is that the medical term ???

it is indeed...

IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: November/24/2010 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Carrie_p2005

There's one part that's confusing me...in the original photo, it appears that just the outline was burned, but in the rest of the pictures, the solid part of the skull appears to have been burned as well.  Was the first picture taken before it was finished, or did he do something to the inside of the skull that I just can't see in the picture?

yes, the outline was done, a photo was taken, then the interior of the skull was branded away as a removal and then the second photo in this series was taken.... the second photo shows the completed piece only about an hour after it was done.....
i apologize if that wasn't made clear in my posts...
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version