Message Icon Topic: Do you pierce minors? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by thebrootalkid

I guess I'm counted as a minor, I'm 17 and have quite a few piercings including a microdermal. The way I see it is the piercer needs to make their own decision but definately nothing more than ears on anyone under 16. I did get my navel done when I was 14 but to get it done I had to prove to my parents I fully understood everything that came with it.

I think parents should be more involved, I've never had a crap peircing simply because my mother has made me be educated and really think about what I'm doing rather than just go on a whim and have something done because its 'cool'

woops, told on yourself.....

Also, by your wording Randy, I am making the assumption that this question was aimed at site pros, and so I have moved it to an area where only pros can reply to.

I left the original non pro post intact incease you DIDN'T intend for it to be pro only, in which case I can move it back.

Edited by MontanaPiercer - January/18/2011 at 1:07pm
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
MrJonz
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 112

Quote MrJonz Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by MontanaPiercer

Originally posted by thebrootalkid

I guess I'm counted as a minor, I'm 17 and have quite a few piercings including a microdermal. The way I see it is the piercer needs to make their own decision but definately nothing more than ears on anyone under 16. I did get my navel done when I was 14 but to get it done I had to prove to my parents I fully understood everything that came with it.

I think parents should be more involved, I've never had a crap peircing simply because my mother has made me be educated and really think about what I'm doing rather than just go on a whim and have something done because its 'cool'

woops, told on yourself.....

Very very true. But (and this may not mean a damn thing) but she will be turning 18 by the UK meet this next week as I'm to do a scarification piece on her.  Still completely your call of course; just thought Id point that out. Smile
Body Mods by Jonz
IP IP Logged
bondagekitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote bondagekitten Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:28pm
I got my nipple done at 16 by a professional who's consent form only stated over 16 without parental consent. I had lied a couple of months before hand and got my first VCH in the same place but I had been getting into over 18 nightclubs for over a year at that point with no ID. I think the rules are stricter now (it was back in 1996 I got my first intimate piercings) but it's still legal for 16 year olds to get married in Scotland without consent so I have no problems with the idea of a 16 year old getting work done. It was 18 for tattoos then too so can see the argument for the 18 age limit. I am funny about age of consent stuff as here you can die for your country and leave a widow(er) at 16 but you can't vote or get a tattoo. 

sorry mods - I'm not quite with it today and didn't realise this was in the pro section - please just delete

Edited by bondagekitten - January/18/2011 at 3:45pm
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:36pm
I pierce minors, and honestly it's usually not that big of a deal. If I had my choice, I would pierce 18 and up only, but it's a requirement of working in my shop. I've turned away minors before that won't pay attention or don't seem like they can care for a piercing. It's not that hard.

They have to provide name, face, and birthdate for ID if they don't have a state issued ID, also with a parent present, and the parent needs an ID. If it's a guardian, they have to show proof of that.

I won't do microdermals or surface piercings, dermal punching or genital piercing on anyone under 18. I also won't do tongue piercings on anyone under 16.

Hope this helps your research. :)
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
randy flagg
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 237

Quote randy flagg Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:49pm
I don't mind who gives their opinion. But yes, I would like the pro's to weigh in with their rules on minors.

I had a mother who wanted me to pierce her 14 year old daughter yesterday. A tongue and navel. I pierced the moms tongue a few months ago.  Legally I can do it.

But just how young is too young?

It is our responsibility to stop kids from getting a piercing with an apple and a sewing needle/safety pin cooked by a lighter as tools? Is that just a part of growing up?

5 years ago I was like I'll never pierce a minor, but now... I think we have all seen some awful homemade piercings come through our doors. I feel much more OK about piercing a kid now, because at least its being done in a safe, clean, professional environment. You also get a loyal customer.

What age is to young? (in your opinion)
Lobes
Ear cart
Nostrils
Septums
Tongues and oral piercings
Navels
Surface Anchors

Violence with grace...
IP IP Logged
angelfetus
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 38

Quote angelfetus Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by randy flagg

I don't mind who gives their opinion. But yes, I would like the pro's to weigh in with their rules on minors.I had a mother who wanted me to pierce her 14 year old daughter yesterday. A tongue and navel. I pierced the moms tongue a few months ago.  Legally I can do it. But just how young is too young?It is our responsibility to stop kids from getting a piercing with an apple and a sewing needle/safety pin cooked by a lighter as tools? Is that just a part of growing up?5 years ago I was like I'll never pierce a minor, but now... I think we have all seen some awful homemade piercings come through our doors. I feel much more OK about piercing a kid now, because at least its being done in a safe, clean, professional environment. You also get a loyal customer.What age is to young? (in your opinion)LobesEar cartNostrilsSeptumsTongues and oral piercingsNavelsSurface Anchors

i think if you have a 'parental consent' rule...

then those piercings you have listed should have a SET age.

by this i will give 2 examples

1) a mature 14yr old girl. asking all the right questions, developed enough mentally and physically to house and look after the piercing( parent with her)

2) a 16yr old girl, who looks about 10, has a mother talking for her, while shes daydreaming.

Now the first one i would have no issue piercing. the second, i believe will at some point endure a growth spurt, thus causing a concern, also i think she isnt going to give it correct aftercare, so i will explain that and send them on their way.

so it really(within legal laws) isnt about fixing a number to the piercing. to say '15 for navels' or '16 for septums'...is not a good way to judge who you pierce i think.
IP IP Logged
bodymod05
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 137

Quote bodymod05 Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 4:50pm
My take on the subject is the same as some of the others.  I feel that if they are going to have a better safer piercing experience, I would rather know they are getting it done correctly.  My shop does require parent to be present for piercing as well as ID and birth certificate to be copied at time of release form signatures.  I do have things besides genitals that I wont do either.  Examples would be microdermals cheeks etc.
Evil Dave Has Spoken!!!
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 6:03pm
i've always had the personal rule of not piercing anyone under 14, except for earlobes.

i've always made parental consent, and parental accompaniment a mandatory for anyone under 18.

i will pierce earlobes for minors over the age of 8, as long as that minor can understand and restate my aftercare instructions to me before the piercing, thus knowing they have at least a rudimentary understanding of how to care for their piercing... i also will give the parents/guardians the same instructions.

if the minor client can not acceptably vocalize their own want/reason for a piercing to me, i will not pierce that client....

and, of course, no nipples, no genitals, no advanced piercing (surface work, microdermals, corsetry, play piercing)
IP IP Logged
xjessiex
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote xjessiex Replybullet Posted: January/18/2011 at 7:35pm

I most certainly am no pro- but I had my nose pierced at the age of 13 and it was a big deal for me. I appreciated the risks and looked after it. today a piercing is just a piercing for me, but as a 13 yr old it gave me a lot of confidence.
I realise the law does not recognize under 18 or 16 yr olds to be legally responsible for themselves- but at 13 I'd been through more than a lot of 20 somethings I know and I'd still say I was more clued on at 13 than some 30 yr olds I know lol.( perhaps every 13 yr old wants to think that, but some people are thrown into life at a much younger age than others).
age is always a funny thing!
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."
IP IP Logged
randy flagg
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 237

Quote randy flagg Replybullet Posted: January/19/2011 at 3:37pm
Right on. Good stuff everybody.
Violence with grace...
IP IP Logged