<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
Message Icon Topic: Fighting Against Body Modification Discrimination Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 8 Next >>
hollyjane
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote hollyjane Replybullet Topic: Fighting Against Body Modification Discrimination
    Posted: January/31/2011 at 11:26pm
Recently I lost my job to a closed minded person.
So I'm fighting fire with fire. Being a tattooed and pierced female I feel strongly discriminated against.
For more information on my situation and why I'm fighting please add yourself to my group. I'd love to have all the support I can get and I hope to make a difference and make Body Modifications acceptable in the work force.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Fight-Against-Body-Modification-Discrimination/116605941702986
IP IP Logged
dinobeano
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 20

Quote dinobeano Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 12:22am
Right after I read this, I joined ur Facebook page:) I believe that as the years go by, discrimination just keeps spreading to anything that a person can pick out and hate. Its ridiculous!
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 73

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 7:44am
I serously doubt a campaign relying on a facebook page will change international opinion on anything.

If you can't even take the time to post details of your ideas in full on a dedicated modification forum and yet want us to copy and paste links to look at other websites then I think on a very basic level I can not see your campaign working.

No matter how noble your ideas if you do not go about them in way that seems professional and well organised then you will get very little support.
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
ayay
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 25

Quote ayay Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 8:04am
point is we CHOOSE to modify our bodies in a way that is unacceptable to the general public. If you have a problem with the way employers see you - try to change their mind or realise this was a descision you made and you should have realised that this would have happened when making this lifestyle descision.
IP IP Logged
lizee111
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 20

Quote lizee111 Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 10:06am
I agree that it sucks that people discriminate but as the above comments say, you made the decision to associate yourself with a 'culture' that involves discrimination on a daily basis.
No matter what you do or where you go, you will face it, and creating groups on facebook is not going to change that.
IP IP Logged
jakethejake
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote jakethejake Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by ayay

point is we CHOOSE to modify our bodies in a way that is unacceptable to the general public. If you have a problem with the way employers see you - try to change their mind or realise this was a descision you made and you should have realised that this would have happened when making this lifestyle descision.

+1

IP IP Logged
merrry
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 55

Quote merrry Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 2:47pm

Wouldn't it be easier to just use dermablend on your "offending" tattoos?  Common sense isn't so common I guess. No doubt I sound like an old bitch... If you get visibly modified you need to accept the consequences. Employers are allowed to have "dress codes" and modifications are covered under them. Complaining just makes you look worse.  

AKA: The Queen Of Hugs, Naughty Girl Extraordinaire, Merrrypoppin, Merrry Contrary and Sunshine. I'm also Proud To Be A Persnickety Bitch!
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 3:13pm
Employers are allowed to have dress codes, but if she had the tattoos before she got hired you would think they would tell her that they weren't allowed when she had the interview(s).

That really sucks that you got fired for that, I joined your page!
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
Mariachristina
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 12

Quote Mariachristina Replybullet Posted: February/01/2011 at 11:14pm
I joined it as well
IP IP Logged
new2theneedle
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote new2theneedle Replybullet Posted: February/02/2011 at 12:44am
Originally posted by tattooedtrish

Employers are allowed to have dress codes, but if she had the tattoos before she got hired you would think they would tell her that they weren't allowed when she had the interview(s).

That really sucks that you got fired for that, I joined your page!

i dealt with a similar situation. got hired via phone interview, i addressed the piercings specifically (told them what i had and that i wasnt willing to take them out, it was a deal breaker for me), they said it was all good. i moved here (to hawaii from new hampshire) for the job, day one they tell me the piercings are a no go, and that even though the boss said it was all good and there would be no surprises, they were in fact changing the rules soon. once they changed the rules i advocated for myself and my position, we compromised, then a couple months later (shifts were 8 days on, 6 days off) the motherfucker let me go via voicemail with no reason or cause. i filed for unemployment and he told them i had been fired for misconduct after being written up four different times (which was TOTAL bullshit). that was over a year ago and i still want to bitchslap the motherfucker!

im all for being told up front that they cant/wont hire you because of mods, but to be blatantly lied to like that, and then defamed for it, is bullshit
IP IP Logged
Page  of 8 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version