Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: I dont want to lose my lobes!! Post Reply Post New Topic
morrigan972
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 13

Quote morrigan972 Replybullet Topic: I dont want to lose my lobes!!
    Posted: February/03/2011 at 1:43pm
i had recently stretched to 7/8ths and my ears have been 1/2inch plus for about 3 years. A few days ago my ears had a terrible reaction to some Parylene-coated kaos tunnels... i have used regular kaos with no problems but this was my first time with the coated ones. they swelled up and oozed, when i took the plugs out they bled, now they are crusted shut and im afraid that will heal closed...

Am i just being paranoid? does any one have experience with this? my ears have always been healthy and i have absolutely zero frame of reference, so i have no clue how this will turn out...

i was finally ONE size away from my goal of an inch, and it kills me to think i may have to start all over, or even worse that they heal closed AND have a lot of scar tissue that i have to deal with before i can stretch again... im heart broken... im hoping im just being silly and they will only close up to a 0 or something once they stop leaking and crusting...

any help is welcome, thanks!
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: February/03/2011 at 3:05pm
You shouldn't stretch with silicone.. it even says so on their website.
"

I have heard you do not recommend stretching with Kaos?

A few people have had problems with irritation from our silicone, and this has largely occurred when using the silicone jewelry to stretch or installing silicone just after stretching by another method. Additionally, those with seasonal and pet allergies who have attempted to stretch have not had success. We are pretty certain this is due to the tacky surface of the soft material. This tackiness can cause small tears in the weak tissue on the inside of the stretched lobe, and may also pick up particulate contaminants (ie: allergens) on its tacky surface. These tears and/or debris then cause irritation. In general, when you stretch a piercing (by any method) you tend to tear or damage the tissue, either due to pressure or friction caused by the stretch. Normally, this goes away within a few hours or days. But, if the jewelry is too tight or tacky, it can effectively seal off the piercing, and it can't drain. The plasma builds up, and the bacteria (usually there is a certain amount of bacteria already residing in the piercing) run amuck. We recommend you remove the jewelry immediately (carefully and with lubricant) if you think this is happening or the piercing may be further damaged. The tearing problem is most pronounced when trying to stretch cartilage, which often ends up a painful failure. For these reasons KAOS DOES NOT recommend stretching piercings (especially cartilage) with our current product."
http://www.kaossoftwear.com/index.php?main_page=faq&faq_item=6&zenid=9h6hf77dsvjsid7qdecg7qn5a3

You went from 1/2" to 7/8"? You DO know there are sizes in between right? Sounds like you tore them to me. Next time, wear real jewelry (steel, titanium or pyrex) when you stretch.. although it sounds like it will be awhile until you can.
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
morrigan972
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 13

Quote morrigan972 Replybullet Posted: February/03/2011 at 3:17pm
oh! i did'nt skip sizes, sorry i guess i typed it wrong... now i sound like a twat... i had taped up using teflon tape with 5/8ths plugs to a 7/8ths, then switched to the kaos about a week later... they felt fine so i figured it would be ok...but over night they got swollen and sore.
IP IP Logged
jakethejake
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote jakethejake Replybullet Posted: February/03/2011 at 4:03pm
I don't think there's much chance of them closing completely. I've had reactions to materials, and generally you just have to give it some time to get back to normal.

My (non-pro!) suggestion would be to downsize into something that's suitable for fresh piercings, and that you know you won't be allergic to, and baby them for a week or so.
IP IP Logged
ZachHooked
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 7

Quote ZachHooked Replybullet Posted: February/03/2011 at 5:05pm
Sorry to hear about your lobes. With out seeing your ears it's going to be hard to say exactly what happened to them, but you should be able to save them.

You did however say that you taped from 5/8th to 7/8ths. On that note, how long did that process take you? It sounds like you may have stretched too quickly and may not have stretched completely to 7/8ths when you tried to put the silicone tunnels in. If this is the case, You probably tore your ears due to a combination of the silicone finishing your stretch, and your lobes already being weakened from stretching too quickly.

I would have recommended that you stop at 3/4th and waited at minimum 4-6 weeks before you tried to up size again. This allows your ears to recover from the trauma of stretching them. It also insures that they are healed and ready to stretch. That being said 4-6 weeks is a general recommendation, not a time frame set in stone, everyone heals differently.

At this point you should switch to another set of plugs that aren't silicone. I highly recommend pyrex tunnels, they tend to have a nice long wearing surface that should accommodate for the swelling that is already present in your ears. Also I would drop your ears to 3/4ths and treat them like a fresh piercing (sea salt soaks 2-3 times a day, etc.)for at least the next 4-6 weeks.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps.
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: February/03/2011 at 7:17pm
If your ears felt fine after the stretch and you put the new jewelry in a week later, I don't think your soreness would be a result of stretching too fast. You could have just had an allergic reaction. It can definitely happen with coated jewelries.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: February/04/2011 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Cale

If your ears felt fine after the stretch and you put the new jewelry in a week later, I don't think your soreness would be a result of stretching too fast. You could have just had an allergic reaction. It can definitely happen with coated jewelries.

unless, like zach said she was a little shy of 7/8" and the silicone was slightly bigger than what she had in prior.

Or you're right, its just an allergic reaction.
"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version