Message Icon Topic: Cheek Piercings Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
smokeahontas
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 8

Quote smokeahontas Replybullet Topic: Cheek Piercings
    Posted: February/17/2011 at 8:05pm
So, I am going on a 2 hour trip (yay) to get my cheeks pierced tomorrow and just had a few questions.

I know saline is probably best to clean the outside, but is a saltwater swish or mouthwash better for the inside? I've read different things when I was looking up info.

Is a steel or PFTE barbell better? I've always assumed PFTE but I've seen quite a few pictures of people with the metal barbells.

I know it's different for everyone, but what is the approximate time the initial swelling lasts, and how long after the swelling is down should I wait to get the barbell switched out or cut down?

Sorry for so many possibly stupid questions, but thanks in advance to any answers (:
IP IP Logged
Pozzy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 94

Quote Pozzy Replybullet Posted: February/17/2011 at 9:06pm
Hi smokeahontas,   Tbh Cheeks are a pain in the bum to do, your best bet is make sure the bars are at least 30mm in length to account for any swelling, and PTFE I would recommend this includes the internal balls, just in case you forget and happen to bite down hard, Elayne Angel would suggest you dont get them, she has good reason to say this, not sure who she is google her :)

I have done these piercings for others and you have to do your best to avoid the Parotid Duct, this duct is one of the main points you get your Saliva from, the parotid gland is the largest salivary gland, if this is pierced and its easy done, you will get dripping or weeping from the cheeks, this may heal over time but its also easy for infection to set in or spread to other areas of the mouth or within the cheek.

As everyone's duct is slightly different this can be a hit or miss affair, Its recommende not to pass the 1st Molar but some ducts are longer than others, also line of sight measuring can easily give an uneven look, so be careful.

If you are not happy with the mark up, tell them, if you think you can see something in the mark up they cannot, tell them, even if it takes 20 mins to get it right, your the person that will be walking around with the piercing not them.

If they decide not to listen to you, walk away.

I hope this helps, cheek or Dimple Piercing is not for everyone, it takes months and months to heal, avoid solids for at least 1-2 weeks, smoking and Oral Sex, .... make sure you get good after care advice and you go back 1 or 2 weeks later to be checked on the piercings progress.

Hope this helps :)

Poz

Edited by Pozzy - February/17/2011 at 9:07pm
IP IP Logged
smokeahontas
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote smokeahontas Replybullet Posted: February/17/2011 at 11:16pm
Yeah, I read about the horrendous swelling and the annoying flare-ups.
And "best believe" they will be measuring my face about a hundred times, I had a dream the other night that I went to get them done and the piercer did them so crooked. I'm paranoid about that now. Lol.
& I'll make sure to stock up on soup and jello and such on the way home tomorrow =p
Thank you for the advice (:
IP IP Logged
aPleaforPurging
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote aPleaforPurging Replybullet Posted: February/18/2011 at 1:38am
Chamomile, is really good on oral piercings.
21Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
IP IP Logged
LucieMay
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 14

Quote LucieMay Replybullet Posted: February/18/2011 at 4:34am
Mine are further in than a lot but they are hard work. I had one side swell horrendously and had profuse bleeding with it. They were troublesome the first year. I still sometimes get a bit of swelling on one side after nearly two years. Mine also heal up within a couple of hours if I take the jewellery out. Make up can irritate them so i'd give any skin make up like foundation or blusher a miss if you wear make up. Sounds like you're prepared for them though and I wouldn't be without mine now for the world.
Caustic blonde.
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: February/18/2011 at 5:15am
I got mine pierced last Saturday (the 12th)! Mine are also further back than others, and they swelled up a lot.. still are pretty swollen. I actually had to come back the next day because they swelled more than the piercer expected, and had to get longer jewelry put in (currently 7/8"). I have a steel barbell (ball on the outside, disk on the inside) in, but if they would have swelled anymore (thankfully they didn't!) he would have switched them to tygon.

I've been swishing with alcohol-free mouthwash for the inside, the sea salt soaks for the outside. Eating is still a pain, and I can already tell that they are going to lymph a ton.
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
happydepression
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 39

Quote happydepression Replybullet Posted: February/18/2011 at 4:33pm
I miss my cheeks so, so, so much.
[[monstrosity]]
IP IP Logged
Pozzy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 94

Quote Pozzy Replybullet Posted: February/19/2011 at 4:43pm
tattooedtrish, please be careful of the flat discs turning into blades during the swelling stage, if you have ever had a lip piercing with a labret bar you would know of my concerns, the back can cut in and the skin can grow over, I feel that flat discs are a poor choice of internal jewellery, more so if they do cut in etc they would be very hard for the piercer to remove :)

Poz
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: February/19/2011 at 5:12pm
I'm not too worried about that at the moment, the bars are way too long to get pulled in. Right now the biggest thing I'm worried about is biting down on them.

But I know how that is, I've never had that happen with my labret piercing although my boyfriend has almost had it happen with one of his when he was really sick a year or two ago.
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
smokeahontas
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote smokeahontas Replybullet Posted: February/19/2011 at 10:40pm
Thanks everybody for the input (:
I got mine done just after lunch yesterday; I love them already (:
I didn't bleed very much, which my piercer was kind of surprised by.
The piercer was amazing; they look perfectly symmetrical, and he did it so quick; It was 2 seconds of sharp pain and then just a dull soreness.
The swelling isn't too bad (knock on wood) but the muscles in that area are definitely sore, it feels so strange when people make me laugh or smile.
I have some saline soaked cotton balls sitting in the freezer, have been taking ibuprofen, and saline on the outside with diluted antiseptic mouthwash on the inside.
Thanks again to everybody (:
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version