General Talk About Anything
 BodyMod.org Forum : General Chit-Chat : General Talk About Anything
Message Icon Topic: Blood donation exclusion !! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
onega
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote onega Replybullet Topic: Blood donation exclusion !!
    Posted: March/16/2011 at 7:29pm
So, I was thinking of giving blood  and checked out the conditions thingy before because I know they are generally have a waiting period for modded people due to blood borne pathogens.. Anyway, I came across this :
" You should never give blood if:

You're a man who's had sex with another man, even safe sex using a condom. "

Here's the link as to the whole why and excuses : http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/exclusion/

Regarless of statistics and risks of transmission and all that, i think it's unfair.

They've worded it in a way which is socially "acceptable", but the fact remains that it effectively bans mainly gay and bisexual men from giving. It's ridiculous. I think that it's a pity that some perfectly healthy individuals wouldn't be allows to help save lives because of statistics and who they choose to sleep with (even protected)!

Hmmm yeah, Opinions or thoughts ??

Edited by onega - March/16/2011 at 7:30pm
If you hear an "ouch" in a room full of people you'll know it me.

> Queen of Clumsiness <
IP IP Logged
that1chick
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote that1chick Replybullet Posted: March/16/2011 at 7:39pm
I've hated this for years.

I think, statistically, it's actually black women between the ages of 25-35 that have the highest rate of HIV.

It's bigotry. That's all.
IP IP Logged
onega
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote onega Replybullet Posted: March/16/2011 at 7:48pm
Statistics might vary a little between countries ??.. Hmm But yeah, their exclusion policy is moronic. Having clauses such as the one stated above but forgetting one of the most important : "Don't give blood for 12 weeks after having unprotected sex", one that actually makes sense.. 

*hisses*
If you hear an "ouch" in a room full of people you'll know it me.

> Queen of Clumsiness <
IP IP Logged
belle
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 25

Quote belle Replybullet Posted: March/16/2011 at 8:06pm
i had a woman on the phone from the blood donation centre tell me off a few years back, she said to me "with your very rare blood type you shouldnt be getting tattoos or piercings done, in case someone needs it" i was like, if is so rare, aint many people gonna need it are they. bitch.
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 72

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: March/16/2011 at 8:48pm
It seems pretty absurd that if a man had homosexual sex in the early 1960's but never had any form of sex since then he is still considered a bigger risk of carrying HIV than someone who had hetrosexual sex since 1981 when the first case of AIDs was ever discovered.

I guess it must be a standard misconception that if someone has homosexual sex that they MUST also travel in time to catch STDs.
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 72

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: March/16/2011 at 8:55pm
Apparantly I may not be able to give blood because I "plan to go to CANADA or the UNITED STATES this Summer" (quoted from  https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp )

PLAN TO???

Another case of catching pathogens via time travel.
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
CheapPerfume
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote CheapPerfume Replybullet Posted: March/16/2011 at 10:46pm
About 2 months ago, my mom was like, "I think you can't give blood if you're a gay man." I was like, nope, not true. That would  be so stupid if that was the case.

... Turns out it is true; cited here, and I Googled it at the time, and was like WTF.
IP IP Logged
xjessiex
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote xjessiex Replybullet Posted: March/16/2011 at 11:47pm

...oooh actually while looking up the rules on donating blood here in oz i found out you can donate blood 6 months after having a tattoo. i could be wrong but is this new? i thought it used to be 12 months?

hmm, here (in oz) from what it says, you can donate blood if you're a man and you've had sex with another man- if the last time you did that was 12 months ago (it also includes women who have had sex with a guy who's been with another guy in the last 12 months, if you've been to prison or if you've visited a country with a high HIV rate...)
So i guess after 12 months of abstaining gay/bi dude's can donate:P (because apparently even sex with a condom makes it impossible for a gay guy to donate.)
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."
IP IP Logged
fragaholic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 81

Quote fragaholic Replybullet Posted: March/17/2011 at 11:36am
what the fuck??? seriously, what is wrong with people??
I just looked it up, and it's the same for germany!!

I really don't know what to say about that... just omg -.-
I can think of way more conditions, that would actually make sense, but this is utter bullshit. period.

IP IP Logged
merrry
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 55

Quote merrry Replybullet Posted: March/17/2011 at 2:48pm
Oh, that's an OLD one! I wanted to give blood 20 years ago (when I was youing and healthy) but was denied denied because I had sex with a man that had sex with a man...Crazy

All this in spite of my HIV- statusBang%20Head

Stupid Censored rules!

EDITED FOR EMOTICONS

Edited by merrry - March/17/2011 at 2:49pm
AKA: The Queen Of Hugs, Naughty Girl Extraordinaire, Merrrypoppin, Merrry Contrary and Sunshine. I'm also Proud To Be A Persnickety Bitch!
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version