Message Icon Topic: Modification vs Mutilation Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
JDMmicah
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote JDMmicah Replybullet Topic: Modification vs Mutilation
    Posted: April/11/2011 at 3:03pm
OK so I have had this debate with plenty of people who don't understand the principals of modification.  They will argue that stretching your piercings is "self mutilation" and they see it as this "emo-I-hate-my-life" type thing but it's not, at all.  I explained that when someone modifies themselves correctly and for the right reasons, it is completely different.  Modifying yourself takes alot of knowledge, knowing your body's limits, but still acknowledging the extreme possibilities.  You have to have alot of respect for your body to modify yourself correctly. Peope who intentionally mutilate themselves are the complete opposite, no respect for themselves or their bodies.  Modifiers love their bodies and modify to enhance themselves.  Self mutilators loath themselves and do it to for attention and possibly love that they badly need.  I also think the reasons behind modifying have alot to do with what makes somebody a respectable modifier or not.  For instance, I know a kid that FUCKS his earlobes UP!  Not because he hates himself but because he thinks that he is "better" or "cooler" than everyone else by having the biggest earlobes and the most tattoos ($40 kitchen tattoos and a couple of really mediocre cheesy toolish tattoos).  He clearly modifies for the sake of what other people think about him, which is all wrong.  Hopefully one day people will stop categorizing everyone under the same page and realize the difference between legit modifiers and tools.  Elaborate if you'd like, let's keep it civil. :)
IP IP Logged
merrry
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 55

Quote merrry Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 3:34pm
I had a similar discussion with my therapist. People who "cut" or mutilate themselves can't wait. They want things "NOW" Me? I plan outand wait and then get it done when it's the right time, waiting weeks or months. I never rush into doing something, and I listen to my body and rarely "push" beyond my "limits"
AKA: The Queen Of Hugs, Naughty Girl Extraordinaire, Merrrypoppin, Merrry Contrary and Sunshine. I'm also Proud To Be A Persnickety Bitch!
IP IP Logged
JClaude
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote JClaude Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 3:52pm
What makes something a "mutilation" seem to me has nothing to do with how long, or little, one waits to do it. It is the motivation, the reasons,  that lead to such act, no matter how long or how little one waits...
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 5:14pm
Im pretty sure that wasn't the point JD was trying to make. 

Edited by BigMikeHOOKED - April/11/2011 at 5:14pm
"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
ZombiePhlegm
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote ZombiePhlegm Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 5:37pm
modification is consentual, modification creates the desired effect, modification makes you feel good, modification is a personal improvement or embelleshiment that brings your closer to your self-image, modification can add, it can take away it can cut and it can stitch.

Mutilation is unwanted, it alters the body in a way that is not desired, it makes you feel bad.

The Unbreakable!
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 6:25pm
modification is creative. mutilation is destructive.

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
jakethejake
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 15

Quote jakethejake Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 8:03pm
I think trying to simplify this is the wrong way to go about it. Mutilation is at times positive for the person. Someone who cuts themselves gets some sort of satisfaction out of it.

I would have to agree with Jc, it's more the intention and reason.

I also think it's a bit pointless to discuss, as different people have different definitions of both as well as different, personal connotations they bring to each word. I think it ends up becoming a question of defining those terms, rather than a moral/philosophical debate.
IP IP Logged
AnthonyD
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 11

Quote AnthonyD Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 8:08pm
I feel pity for people when they come into the shop with stories of their scared anatomy where they previously had a piercing done in  someones car or bathroom only to have it ripped out when they where changing clothes or playing sports. I feel that in most cases like that its ignorance and not mutilation. Still not an excuse for not waiting and I defiantly would advise a minor to wait, think about it and then seek a professional to perform what will hopefully be a life long choice.
IP IP Logged
pierced_celt
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 10

Quote pierced_celt Replybullet Posted: April/11/2011 at 9:46pm
i have to agree with jake, 20 yrs ago i started cutting myself and didn't know why but life looked clearer after.While "cutting"(wrist slashing, leg slashing etc) is considered a psychological problem(and rightly so) every person is different in their psychological make-up.with me it only lasted 2 years and although i got into modification during that time the 2 things were different things to me.

i haven't cut myself in 13 years but i also haven't been pierced in ages, but the will to get another piercing is asthetic for me, the will to cut my skin was a compulsion for those 2 bad years.

i guess when ur young ur mind is muddled up a lot more than when ur a little older.

to quote METALBABE(who im sure robbed/paraphrased the quote from modify The%20Finger )

"modification is creative. mutilation is destructive"

(If BBD is involved then thats another thread altogether!!)

Edited by pierced_celt - April/11/2011 at 9:49pm
IP IP Logged
randy flagg
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 237

Quote randy flagg Replybullet Posted: April/12/2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by ZombiePhlegm

modification is consentual, modification creates the desired effect, modification makes you feel good, modification is a personal improvement or embelleshiment that brings your closer to your self-image, modification can add, it can take away it can cut and it can stitch.

Mutilation is unwanted, it alters the body in a way that is not desired, it makes you feel bad.

Yeah man, I can dig that quote.

Not only is this a great book on this topic, Bodies under Siege: Self-mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry , but Dr.Favazza is an e-mail pal of mine, and lives in town where my shop is at. He is approachable, has written the forward on books by Fakir Musafar, but has declined my invite to pierce him. lol

http://www.amazon.com/Bodies-under-Siege-Self-mutilation-Modification/dp/0801853001
Violence with grace...
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version