<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Hardcore Experiences
 BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod Experiences : Hardcore Experiences
Message Icon Topic: To all the people who love branding! Post Reply Post New Topic
Elsjedb
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Elsjedb Replybullet Topic: To all the people who love branding!
    Posted: May/11/2011 at 4:05am
Dear body modificators,

as a second year student Cultural Anthropology from the University of Amsterdam (Holland), I'm doing a research on some extreme forms of body modification, in particular branding.

I'm totally unknown in this bodymod world, so i hope you can help me out and answer some of my questions!

1)What are the reasons for you to choose for branding and not, lets say, tattooiing?

2) Is the aspect of pain important? Do you feel like you have 'survived' something after branding?

3) How are people on the street reacting when they see your scars? Do they ask you about it?

4) Do you feel like you are bonded with the other 'branders'?

Thanks very much! If someone would like to tell a longer story about their brands, you are very welcome!

Greetings from sunny Amsterdam :)

Elsjedenbraber@hotmail.com
IP IP Logged
xjessiex
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote xjessiex Replybullet Posted: May/11/2011 at 5:37am

reason? I don't think I had an absolute reason for it. I already had piercings, tattoos, scars from scalpel. had an appointment for a tongue split a few months later, Id thought about having something new done to build up to it- my tattooist had a friend who was building up a port folio with brandings so I scored a freebie!

Branding by electro cautery actually isn't very painful at all, I'd take branding over a session with guy who's doing my leg! it was a feeling of accomplishment after though. the adrenalin rush is always a kick, and tattooing doesn't do that anymore for me. and I enjoy the texture of scars.

people don't see my scars. they're on my ribs, and even swimming I keep them covered. the doctor frowned at me, my siblings love it, my mum rolls her eyes, my bf thinks they're cool:p
my floral scarrification on my leg is visable in summer though. most ppl assume it's a scar from tattoo removal:p most of the time I don't bother to correct them:p
otherwise, ppl think I'm disgusting and love pain, they love it to bits and get a little boggled, but mostly no one really gives a shit!

actually- I wouldn't say in the least I feel 'bonded' with other branded ppl. it was my experience. I only know one other person who I've met with branding though, maybe seeing her mods made me like her more? but she's already cool enough thateveryone loves her mods or no!
Having been to a few fetish events where live brandings were performed, I don't feel linked to that scene at all...I did it to please myself, not show it off or have something done to me on someone else's accord... I'd say my mods tie in more with my personal view on personal responsibility and human evolution (not in the case of every individual, but to use mods as a form of personal development in my mental process...if that makes sense:p)

hello from freezing Australia!!! (yes, 8 d c is fucking ridiculous here!!)
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."
IP IP Logged
Eui1337
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote Eui1337 Replybullet Posted: May/11/2011 at 12:51pm

1)What are the reasons for you to choose for branding and not, lets say, tattooing?
Why I chose branding was because the work i had done was very special to me, and i wanted it to be visible at all times. Since it was a memorial piece, it didn't feel appropriate getting something that could be removed. So i wanted something permanent, the first time around, I had it done with scarification, but even after following after care advice from my artist, it didn't show up as well as I wanted to, so I talked to MrJonz about doing it, and now I love it.

2) Is the aspect of pain important? Do you feel like you have 'survived' something after branding?
The actual procedure was a breeze, it took maybe 20 minutes. It was everything after that was a pain in the ass. I got really sick at one point, and could barely move my leg. but it finally healed after a month and a half. had I known what the after care would have been like before hand, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. But I plan on getting one more on the other leg in the same spot, but I don't know what yet...also I really like symmetry.

3) How are people on the street reacting when they see your scars? Do they ask you about it?
Most times, since I live in the land of eternal winter, i wear long pants. So most people don't see it that often, the reactions might change since it is finally getting summer like out and I will be able to wear shorts. But when people do see it, it is when I show them. Most of the reactions are the same "Wow" "Why did you do that?" and the best one is "What does it say"

Not really...
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream..." - Vincent Van Gogh
IP IP Logged
grundstuck
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 19

Quote grundstuck Replybullet Posted: May/11/2011 at 1:07pm
1)What are the reasons for you to choose for branding and not, lets say, tattooiing?

Personally i am not interested in tattoos at this point of my life. i tend to prefer branding and scarification because i love how they heal and the process you have to go trough while getting them done. Whereas a tattoo after two weeks if healed a branding can take several years and it will costantly change. My chest branding is one and a half year old and is still in the pink status, which means is still healing.

Pain is a part of the procedure, definitely not something i am looking for in a bodmod. Personally i found my branding to be extremely painful, particularly the outlines of the circles. In the end i am happy i went trough all the process though.

My branding and scarification are not visible, and i never sunbath nor go to the sea. But i get occasionally stared at when i used to go to the gym, usually they just stare and never ask though. As for friends, the ones that are not into bodymodification are just generally curious and they tend to ask about the procedures and that sort of staff.

No.
IP IP Logged
freakychild
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 40

Quote freakychild Replybullet Posted: May/11/2011 at 5:04pm
Branding, to me, is just another form of modification... i see it as being on the same level as tattoos and piercings.... not something that is more 'hardcore'...
I chose branding because of the deep ties it has with ancient forms of body modification..   i chose my design due to my affinity for skull designs and that it's a symbol that is deeply tied with a community that i love and has supported me in my modification journey... that design, you'll see next to the BodyMod.org banner... the black and white Skully design.

I was branded using the electro-cautery method... the action was, i say, about twice as painful as a tattoo in the same area...
some areas hurt considerably more than others, but it was not unbearable..
I modify my body to mark points in my life and to make points real to me... so that i can forever have a reference to look upon and remember who i was, where i was, what i was, and where i came from.....   i have that feeling of survival after every modification...

most dont realize that it's a purposeful scar when they see the lower half peeking from under my shirtsleeve...  those who do realize it's a scar seem to not want to ask me about it, lest it be a result of an accident...
those who know it's a branding have all seemed to be either pleasantly neglectful of caring or supportive and even a bit jealous...

yes, but only in the sense of joining a new community.... i see modifications as a modern day hold-over of ancient 'rights of passage' rituals....
IP IP Logged
Elsjedb
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Elsjedb Replybullet Posted: May/12/2011 at 6:12am
Hi guys,

thanks a lot already! Your personal stories are very interesting and helpfull for my research.

Keep up the good work :)

IP IP Logged
sames89305
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 38

Quote sames89305 Replybullet Posted: May/18/2011 at 7:17pm
1) I choose branding and other forms of scarification because they are things that are not too common. I prefer body mods that are out of the norm for most people. To me, tattoos are overdone (although I have them) so I rather have something that is unique.

2) The aspect of pain is not important to me. I do find it less painful than tattoos which is nice. Tattoos are more of an annoying feeling which I hate, while branding is much quicker and more enjoyable overall.

3) I have many other forms of hardcore body modifications which typically people are interested in. When people see my arm which is scared from flesh removal they react negatively often. Im lumping it in with branding because they heal similarly. People are often grossed out by it and i have yet to have someone outside of this community find it appealing.

4) I do not feel as if I have a bond with other people who have been branded. It is cool to be in a niche community but I have never felt a connection with others.

Edited by sames89305 - May/18/2011 at 7:18pm
IP IP Logged
samantha_sick
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 22

Quote samantha_sick Replybullet Posted: December/04/2011 at 9:37pm

I have tattoos also. I love the look of scarification pieces. The colors of mine are close to my natural skin coloring, so they're subtle, but I get VERY raised scars. You cannot achieve anything like it with tattoos.

I personally didn't find my brandings to be painful. Which is another reason I like them. Tattoos hurt way more.

Some people are awesome and ask great questions. Most people are rude, and a lot have even tried to touch me without permission.

Since it's less common that tattoos, yeah I kinda feel like we're all a little special :)
Currently have 27 piercings
Have been pierced 63 times total (14 temporary)
2 4g cartilage punches
78 star tattoos, lots of other tattoos
2 brandings
1 cutting
Magnetic Implant (removed & replaced!)
IP IP Logged
brasca
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote brasca Replybullet Posted: August/02/2012 at 2:11pm

I don't know, I personally prefer the branding for the feeling and for 'cause if you want a DIY mod is easier than a tattoo

the aren't much painful,but personally I love the pain

they're surprised and most of then think only insane people can do this type of mod...fuck off I don't mind, I did 'cause they're were important for me and for remember
certain step of my life.

no

Thanks very much! If someone would like to tell a longer story about their brands, you are very welcome!

sorry for my bad english :)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version