<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: New Medusa piercing (5 days old) infected? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
DiamanteSKye
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote DiamanteSKye Replybullet Topic: New Medusa piercing (5 days old) infected?
    Posted: August/24/2011 at 8:08pm

I got a medusa/philtrum piercing 5 days ago. When I initially got it pierced everything went fine. about 2 days later my lip started swelling really bad, on the 3rd day I went back to get a longer post. Well while i was changing the jewelry i coudlnt get the stud off the original post because my lip was so swollen it was really tight. finally 10 minutes later the stud on the post budged off. Well, at that point my lip was super irritated. I changed the post and everything was going moderately ok after that i guess. Well last night, 4th day i was cleaning my piercing out and sure enough the ball at the end of the stud fell down the drain. well i was so tempted to just take the piercing out but i like it so much, what i ended up doing was get a plastic "back" of a pair of earrings i have in order to secure the post, well today(day 5) i've noticed theres this bright yellow/green stuff coming out of my piercing, is it infected? im going to buy a ball to secure the jewelry w/ after work. my lip is still pretty swollen. and there's this white bump next to the piercing on the inside that hurts and stings real bad when the jewelry rubs against it. should I just take the piercing out? or is there a way around all of this?

Edited by DiamanteSKye - August/24/2011 at 8:12pm
IP IP Logged
jrdnhannah
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 19

Quote jrdnhannah Replybullet Posted: August/24/2011 at 8:22pm
Get a piercer to put a suitable titanium/steel/glass post in. Then don't touch it.

Sea Salt Soaks (1/8 teaspoon of sea salt for 1oz of warm water I think?) once or twice a day.

When the swelling goes down get a piercer to change it for you.

It will ooze gunk, it's part of the healing process, green sounds kinda weird... Signs of infection are usually swelling, redness, hot to the touch and oozing, but as it's new some of those you will be experiencing anyway as part of the healing process...

Get a piercers opinion on whether it's infected, and if you're really that worried go to a docs.

IF it is infected, do not, I repeat, DO NOT take out the jewellery. The hole will close up resulting in a pus filled abscess in the middle of your face, not nice. The jewellery remaining in the piercing allows it to drain. Take whatever antibiotics the doc gives you but DO NOT take the stud out.
IP IP Logged
DiamanteSKye
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote DiamanteSKye Replybullet Posted: August/24/2011 at 8:53pm
awesome thanks!
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: August/24/2011 at 9:47pm
Sounds like your piercing is just really irritated and that's why it's swollen and draining. Go to your piercer and have them put a ball on your post for you. You shouldn't be changing out the jewelry or fiddling with it yourself, especially with it being swollen (and I find it irresponsible of your piercer to only sell you jewelry and not help you change it). Try to keep it clean with warm soaks and leave it alone. It's possible that you may have prolonged swelling and redness, and not only because it's been messed with so much, but because that is how this piercing is during healing.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
DiamanteSKye
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote DiamanteSKye Replybullet Posted: August/25/2011 at 12:45am
thanks a bunch Cale! you're always great help :D
IP IP Logged
Carrie_p2005
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Carrie_p2005 Replybullet Posted: August/25/2011 at 10:30am
To clarify, the proper dilution for sea salt solution is 1/8 teaspoon salt to 4 ounces of water :)
IP IP Logged
DiamanteSKye
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote DiamanteSKye Replybullet Posted: August/25/2011 at 12:10pm
oh yeah! one more question, probably a stupid one too. When I wake up my lip is super swollen, i read somewhere that that is normal. well, the long post i have in helps out because the jewelry isnt too tight when i wake up. But then during the day when the swelling goes down my post feels really long and sometimes gets stuck under my gums which causes my piecing to pull my lip down. does that mean my post is too long!? i havent had a lip piercing is so long i forgot what i feels like to have this haha. its been over 6 years since my last facial piercing.
thanks for your input by the way!
everything helps
IP IP Logged
MrJonz
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 112

Quote MrJonz Replybullet Posted: August/25/2011 at 12:55pm
The longer post is there to accommodate for swelling and draining. It's going to feel like it's too long, until time to switch to a shorter post (usually 4-6 weeks). Your jewelry getting caught could just be because of the added length of the piece, or you were pierced slightly on the high side of the lower lip, or the angle is slightly off. It's hard to say without actually seeing the piercing, but I think you should be just fine as long as you just leave it alone unless you're cleaning it, and even then, very gentle.

And personally, I don't recommend to clients that they mix their own solution to make saline. Too many variables and TOO MANY different piercers saying different ratios, without really knowing that being off, even to the smallest degree, is going to hurt (on a cellular level) rather than help. I recommend you just purchase some Sterile Saline Solution (for contact lenses) either in the eye care section of most pharmacies or Blairex Wound Wash Saline. Buffers have been added to make it isotonic and pH balanced; two things that are crucial to healing any open wound, like a fresh piercing, and you're really never going to get that by mixing your own.

Body Mods by Jonz
IP IP Logged
stellaluna
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 14

Quote stellaluna Replybullet Posted: August/26/2011 at 5:51pm
I've heard that swelling for lip piercings is pretty common, at least I know my lip was HUGE the first few days. What might have messed it up a little bit is the plastic back... new piercings generally don't love plastic too much. Also, definitely don't play around with your piercing too much when it's new, it'll just cause excess irritation and slower healing. What I always do when I'm worried about a piercing is just run over to my piercer and get their opinion on it, it's their job to know about that stuff and I trust their opinion more than my own.
Sidenote: don't use iodized salt if you're making your own saline solution!
IP IP Logged
DiamanteSKye
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote DiamanteSKye Replybullet Posted: August/26/2011 at 7:59pm
So I ended up buying some saline solution and using it on my piercing. i got Bausch + Lomb "bio true" at Target. ive been using that for two days now. My lip isnt as swollen anymore which is good. I just wake up with a swollen lip but it usually goes down within an hour or so.
The external area around the piercing is really red and feels itchy, its a little raised too. not sure if thats normal or not. no more green stuff coming out, just yellow crusty stuff. ive been cleaning it through out the day. Since the swelling of my lip has gone down the inside doesnt hurt much anymore which is good. So i'm assuming it's healing ok?
only odd thing is the outer part thats red, raised and itchy. :/

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version