<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Hardcore
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Hardcore
Message Icon Topic: Suspension - I'd like to know why :) Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 6 Next >>
Sennah
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Sennah Replybullet Topic: Suspension - I'd like to know why :)
    Posted: September/20/2011 at 8:27pm
Oh, I am not sure how I should ask you guys this - I really don't want you to take it the wrong way, or be mad at me for asking. But there is something I am really interested in to hear...
Why do you to suspensions? Is it to shock people? A competition? Or are you into masochism or a whole other thing? I am seriously curious, but there is no way, that I will ever try it out by myself - those hooks will never catch my skin Big%20Grin But those of you who do it - damn, you are tough!!!

I am sorry, if someone has already asked about this in a previous post. I am new in here, and have tried to look for a thread like that, but I didn't find one.

And I know, there may be personal reasons why people like suspensions, and they may not want to share their feelings about it with others. So I fully understand, if no one will respond to this post.

But if you do - thank you.

Hanne // curious by nature Smile
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: September/20/2011 at 8:43pm
Different people have different reasons for doing a suspension.

When I first heard about suspensions, I was like you - thinking that there would be no way I would ever try that .... then I read more about it, seen more pictures, etc. I eventually got more and more interested in it over a few years.

I did my first one because I wanted to try a new experience, and it looked like fun.
After that first one I continued doing them because swinging around is fun. The endorphin rush you get from them is amazing - it's the best high anyone can get. It also gives me a huge sense of accomplishment.
It's not a competition, and I'm definitely not into masochism or pain.
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
Sennah
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Sennah Replybullet Posted: September/20/2011 at 9:06pm
tattoedtrish

- Thank you for your answer Smile 

But even though it gives you a rush, doesn't it hurt like hell to hang in hooks? Or will the possible pain disappear in a short time, while hanging there? Well, not that you look like you are in pain. I have seen some of your suspension-photos - and your big smile Smile 

IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: September/20/2011 at 10:02pm
i first learned that suspensions existed when i was 15. i immediately knew that it was something i wanted to do, but it took a good 8 years before i did it (this summer was mah first time). even though i didn't stay up long at all, all i want to do is go up again.

for me, it's completely personal. i don't think i could've gotten up if i'd been doing it to compete or shock people or something. i can't say i'm not into masochism, but i don't really relate it to that..

here's a video a member here posted on facebook about why suspensions don't hurt.. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/humanly-impossible#tab-Videos/07525_00

honestly, i was surprised by the lack of pain. i especially expected the hooks being thrown to hurt, but really, it was just a little uncomfortable, nothing near what i thought it'd be.
IP IP Logged
Sennah
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Sennah Replybullet Posted: September/20/2011 at 10:35pm
evaluation - with the pretty arms, which I already have complimentet  Smile - and for your toughness - I need some af that Smile
Thank you for the link - it was actually very interesting to watch! And a lot of swinging too - if you can say it in that way Big%20Grin I really didn't thought, that it was possible to get that "wild" when hanging in hooks. Impressive, that the skin doesn't crack!

IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: September/20/2011 at 10:52pm
I always found suspension to be fascinating. At first I'd look at it horrified, wondering how the skin could take so much without ripping. Eventually, I started learning more about it. I got to know people who suspended. And the horror changed to fascination, and then interest, until it finally became a case of "I can't wait to suspend!!!!!!!!!!!" over the years.

Last year I did my first suspension. My reason was... I wanted to fly. I wanted to manage to defy gravity. And I did. To me, getting the hooks thrown was quite painful - but after a few moments, the pain went away. The moment I managed to lift off the ground was painful as well. Which is why I ended up yelling out and swearing

But, after a few minutes, I realised I had done it. I was flying. And all the pain went away. That is where I started to truly enjoy myself, swinging about, singing along to the songs I had chosen, smoking a cigarette even!

I can't wait to fly again

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
Sennah
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Sennah Replybullet Posted: September/20/2011 at 11:07pm
metalbabe - I must admit, that it fascinate me as well in some strange way, but I am sure, that I would scream like a maniac, if I were hanging up there. Definately not smoking and singing - well, I don't think I would Big%20Grin
Oh, I have to find my bed by now! This place is just so interesting, that I almost can't stop watching, when I first start Smile I like unique people, and I must say, that there is a lot of them in here - and thank you all for your good answers and help! Smile
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: September/20/2011 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Sennah

But even though it gives you a rush, doesn't it hurt like hell to hang in hooks? Or will the possible pain disappear in a short time, while hanging there? Well, not that you look like you are in pain. I have seen some of your suspension-photos - and your big smile Smile 

For me, it hurts like hell at first.  Then the endorphins kick in and it's pure bliss and happiness. There's no pain after the initial ouchness, thanks to the endorphins.
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
that1chick
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote that1chick Replybullet Posted: September/21/2011 at 2:27am
I have tried to suspend once.

I use the word "tried" because I didn't actually manage to break gravity.

But, I want to clarify, it's not pain that kept me on the ground. Everything that kept me was in my head. I was totally thinking up everything that could possibly be wrong... that the rope could break... or my skin could tear... or I could fall. But all of that is fairly unrealistic. I would have been fine. I was just scared.

But that was part of the reason why I wanted to suspend. I try a lot of things that scare the shit out of me.

I also thought it looked fun though.

I guess I have a lot of reasons that I tried to suspend.

Even though I didn't make it off of the ground, I really want to try it again. There is something oddly centering about being connected to the hooks.
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 73

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: September/21/2011 at 4:30am
It looked like fun and I had an entertaining idea for what to wear while I did it. Good times.  
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version