<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Hardcore
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Hardcore
Message Icon Topic: Surgically Implanted Hearing Device Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Adam
BMod Admin
BMod Admin

Total Mods: 72

Quote Adam Replybullet Topic: Surgically Implanted Hearing Device
    Posted: October/04/2011 at 4:50am

I was blogging around and saw this video on youtube of a girl hearing herself for the first time. The hearing device that she's using is the first FDA fully implantable (surgical) hearing device. It's called the Esteem by Envoy Medical. You can find out more about the device here.

Judging by this woman's reaction, I would have to say that this is a miraculous device.

Implants FTW! =)

.: Adam

Edited by Adam - October/04/2011 at 5:18am
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 4:58am
Came across that vid yesterday and I must say it is rather moving! Couldn't help thinking "she will now hear the buzz of the tattoo machines next time she gets tattooed" haha

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
mmm_riboflavin
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 6

Quote mmm_riboflavin Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 6:26am
awww, that's cool :D
"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty." -Mark Twain
IP IP Logged
Bigman68
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote Bigman68 Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 8:41am
If you loook at the pics of her in the full story that ran on the today show, you can see she just recently became sleeved too.  all the pics showed her with no 3/4 sleeve.  just thought I would throw that out there too.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/285046/nbc-today-show-deaf-woman-hears-own-voice-in-dramatic-video

Edited by Bigman68 - October/04/2011 at 8:44am
IP IP Logged
CurlsInMyCoffee
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 8

Quote CurlsInMyCoffee Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 9:11am
that was moving!  I was trying not to tear up i just did my make up for work!  Very cool.  
IP IP Logged
ihaveonlyme
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 59

Quote ihaveonlyme Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 5:17pm
That is awesome :)
You might not share my views on politics, religion, or several other notable topics; if you ever attain my level of knowledge, you will, though.
IP IP Logged
freckled20
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 42

Quote freckled20 Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 6:11pm
Saw this on tumblr and I teared up... for as much as technology can suck sometimes, there are miracles like this that blow me away.
Don't judge me monkey...
IP IP Logged
burninseid
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 31

Quote burninseid Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 8:00pm
I really, really don't wanna be the party crasher I was back in high school; raiding parties and killing kegs before midnight - but my habits ALL die hard...

IF, that's a BIIIG IF; I remember correctly... the last update I happened to hear from a radio interview on the development of a 'spinal trigger' was -

the implantation of a device able to electrify the nerves of the spine and to enable people (paraplegics at this point) the complete mobility of being able to train, adapt and learn to walk all over again... unassisted by any crutches, walkers, etc.
Because clinical trials were still being conducted (and units in use were less than 10 worldwide) for the longevity of use and the rather limited life of a single charge lasting per individual implant... talk about having to plug in daily,?
Initial costs for production are so exceedingly high that only select participants were chosen i.e. the war veteran in recovery who was unable to move on his own without assistance (featured in the interview I heard from NPR).

Maybe I've been hitting the good stuff (Weed)too much, but then maybe I've

fogged my own memories a little too often too and let my fantastical flare for sci-fi creep into my space coffee as I floated adrift for years, spaghettified and excremented by black holes time & time again,?

[MUMBLE ALERT -  THIS ONE COMES TOO LATE?]

And yes, in my asinine ramblings as I stumble to the alter for just one miracle a day... I'd instantly settle for mobility over audible sensory feedback... HOW else will people believe I really* can't hear my ol' lady or the cops' sirens or play like I'm sleeping when my grandkids wanna sit on grandad's lap,? Being deaf (or at least hearing waaay less when I get grumpy... and older) will be a 'godsend'! My My%202%20Cents ... TY Smoking
"THE death of REAL music has been the drum machine... the absence of emotion; the loss of heartfelt passion - like something is missing..." Barry Manilow VISITcyberageDOTcxTOjoinTHErevolutionCUZtheRESTcantBEtypedOTHERWISE!dsbpDOTcxTOO!!!
IP IP Logged
thesounknown
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 40

Quote thesounknown Replybullet Posted: October/04/2011 at 8:18pm
I know a lot of Deaf people who don't mind being Deaf.  In fact, it gives them a strong sense of community they wouldn't have had otherwise.  They're fine communicating in sign language.

Having said that, its a pretty neat piece of technology if it can make some people happy :)
She looks like the real thing.
She tastes like the real thing.
My fake plastic love.
IP IP Logged
DTown8705
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote DTown8705 Replybullet Posted: October/05/2011 at 5:02pm
Damn Thats AWESOME!!!
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>