General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
Message Icon Topic: Looking the way you do. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
DisturbingNoise
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote DisturbingNoise Replybullet Topic: Looking the way you do.
    Posted: January/01/2012 at 10:17pm
 Looking the way you do how do you get by? Some of you are pretty heavily modded. Are you excepted as you are by the world or are you constantly getting looks and comments? How does your work feel about it? What kind of job allows it? I'm a garbage man and need to take out my jewelry for work. I even had to hide my hair cut before I shaved it all off. I would like to be able to get mods with out having to worry about hiding them for work. Plus the healing time wouldn't allow me to take them out for work. How did you all get around these problems? I hope to be heavily modded one day, but don't know how I would get by looking like that. I don't care about the nasty comments or the such, I love me so it don't bother me. I mean how I would make it by professionally and in the work world.
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: January/01/2012 at 10:33pm
I'm a tattooist and art student, neither have issues with my appearance. Advice for you, for any white collar job, nothin below wrist, or above collar. If you go there, odds are that you better be in this industry or extremely talented as an a athelete or musician if you want to make a living wage. Blue collar jobs are a little more forgiving, but getting facial mods past the HR dept will be tough.
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
pierced_celt
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 10

Quote pierced_celt Replybullet Posted: January/01/2012 at 11:19pm
Personally ive never had any problems in getting work or holding down a job because of my piercings. if you're a decent person and a hard worker then employers here(Ireland) dont really give a damn what you look like(ive worked in ER's as part of my studies and was told to remove them if they were metallic due to machinery used in the ER but once i replaced them with acrylic there was no problem). As montana said facial piercings are a lot harder to get accepted in the workplace but a good attitude to work helps.
On a separate note, why would you need to remove piercings as a garbage man? (apart from sanitary reasons). personally i couldnt care less if my garbageman collected my garbage and he was stark naked wit a hamster up his butt.

IP IP Logged
xjessiex
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote xjessiex Replybullet Posted: January/01/2012 at 11:31pm

Hahaha, I think i may have issues if he had a hamster up his butt (that poor hamster lol)... I recall a good while ago, reading a post (perhaps on BME?) about a lady who worked as a lawyer (or something of the same stature) with facial tattoos who wore make up to cover them. I found this quite amusing, not in a bad way, but the fact that she still had them regardless- I often wondered if anyone from her work ever saw her without the make up...

I always made sure when I went for job interviews my tattoos were partially visable so the knew what they were getting into. I don't believe I was ever knocked back because of them, quite the contrary when working in hip cafes or on university campuses around melbourne!

Blue collar jobs never interested me though...
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: January/02/2012 at 1:04am
I worked at Walmart for 6 years, and recently found a new job. Walmart is extremely anti-piercing. I had to wear retainers in my cheeks & bridge (although retainers technically aren't allowed),  flip my septum up and take my labret out. They cared less about nostril piercings on other people, but for me it was 'against the rules' Confused, and all piercings are a 'safety hazard' *rolls eyes*. They didn't care about my ink or subdermals, though.

I recently found a new job at a Warehouse after searching religiously for well over two years. They could care less about any piercings (or body modifications, including hair color) anyone has. Their only rule is that you can't fit a pencil through any of your jewelry, or have any holes in the jewelry.  They figure that something can snag in it, if a pencil fits through... it also can't interfere with safety equipment. I had to take out a part of my 3-point industrial, to 3 separate pieces of jewelry so I can wear ear plugs.  I also have to wear plugs in my lobes, instead of eyelets. I'll take that any day instead of having to be someone I'm not.
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
Kissadilla
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Kissadilla Replybullet Posted: January/02/2012 at 1:07am
I'm interning at a hospital lab. They allow nose studs, any ear piercings as long as there are no dangly earrings, and to keep tattoos covered when possible. I'm not that heavily modded, but I was kinda nervous about all my ear holes when I got into the profession. We don't directly interact with patients anyway, so it hasn't been much of an issue. No one has commented on my stretched ears, either. I always keep my septum hidden as well. The town I live in is pretty liberal, so that definitely helps! All in all...no biggie :)
IP IP Logged
SteveSirenic
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 35

Quote SteveSirenic Replybullet Posted: January/02/2012 at 1:29am
I work in a warehouse for well "bill money." I could live off it if I had too. Beyond that I buy/sell/repair music equipment mostly drum and guitar. So my job is basically Craigslist haha.

But hoping to getting my storefront in the next few years. No matter what there is a way. And being heavily modified is no excuse for not having a job. Especially, since it costs so much money to do.

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need no roads. -ISHC
IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: January/02/2012 at 5:54am
The dresscode at my job has changed several times - i'vebeen therefor almost 3 years now. I work in a call centre for a bank.  I've had to wear long sleeves in the middle of Summer, and either wear clear jewelry, take it our, or flip it up [septum] when it comes to piercings.  They have no issue with hair colour [so far] and neither did they with my earlobes being stretched - which look better with jewelry in them than out anyway.

At job interviews, i tend to hide most of my mods, but ask about their policies.  If they give me the thumbs up, i put everything back in there and then.

Re: people's reactions - you grow used to them tbh. The stares become something you don't notice most of the time, but they can make people uncomfortable if they're in your company and they aren't used to it.  Rude comments can easily be answered in an honest way that embarrasses the person making the remark.  Example - two people walking past me. One goes "Man have you seen that one? How many piercings has she got?!"

I just turn around and go "17 " and walk on.

Edited by metalbabe - January/02/2012 at 5:58am

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: January/02/2012 at 1:09pm
i spent last year working at an alternative school for kids with emotional and behavioral disorders (i'm now a full time graduate student). i was allowed to have my eyebrow piercing in, but all my other more "hardcore" mods (not just ear piercings) i've chosen to be in specific coverable places, as i do plan on not having a blue collar job. i got hired with 18 microdermal anchors (3 in my chest, 2 in my neck, 13 in my lower back), and i'm pretty sure they were never noticed, due to location. i got my leg cut/branded while i was still employed there, and i worked there for my last month while healing it without letting them know.

at the same time, i know that the eyebrow will probably have to go (at least during school hours) when i get a full-time job, and it will possibly have to go for my internship in the fall. i think the piercing itself will survive at this point, but i will feel odd without jewelry in.
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: January/02/2012 at 3:35pm
I get stared at a lot. It happens. Before I was a piercer I worked in a restaurant as a manager for four years. I wasn't as modified as I am now, but I still had a lot of tattoos, a few piercings, and large stretched ears. That restaurant didn't care too much about appearance, but I have had issues with other jobs because of appearance. I was fired from Panera Bread because I continued my ear stretching passed the size I was when I started there (I had to cover my ears with my hair...not too easy at nearly 1"). They made me cover my arm tattoos which I eventually stopped covering. The sad part is I worked there for a year and they hired me with stretched ears and some visible tattoos. Later on, I couldn't get a job at McDonalds because my hands were tattooed. I've only had my hands and neck tattooed since I've been a piercer, and though I don't struggle with finding a job, I still don't always fit in in the workplace. My boss doesn't like face tattoos and even says he would never hire someone with facial tattoos, and though I had my chin tattooed after I started in this shop (I already had some very minor facial tattooing when I started), I know he still doesn't like it. It's not like having my chin tattooed interferes with my work ethic, but he feels that too many mods scare people. This, however, doesn't stop me from continuing my journey! I've learned that it's more important to be yourself, and even though you may have to work a little harder to succeed or to get others to accept you, it's totally worth it!
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version