General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
Message Icon Topic: Why do they wait so long? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
randy flagg
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 237

Quote randy flagg Replybullet Topic: Why do they wait so long?
    Posted: February/22/2012 at 4:37pm
This is an opinion question and at first I thought maybe just for the pro's but I think everyone's opinion maybe valid that has mods.

Why do people let their tattoo and piercing issues go on for so long before getting help?

When I get a client asking me whats wrong with their mod, sometimes its just too late to be helped. They claim that weeks ago an issue began but they wait. I give my facebook address to my clients and shop e-mail so they can contact me whenever, and some do when a problem arises.

Why do they wait so long to get help, and why do they argue when the jewelry just needs to be removed to prevent further scarring from rejection?

I am flattered when they come to me for help if it isn't my shop that did the mod and I feel like I earn a client from that, but why wait?

Piercers who remove curved barbell surface piercings from other shops know exactly what I mean.

I have just seen some awful stuff lately:
Preparation H as aftercare.
A tragus that had engulfed the entire piece of jewelry, she just wanted a new one put in and it was grown over. (how could she not know that?)
A navel so transparent and thin if she sneezed it would of fell out, but couldn't understand it was rejecting.
A nape anchor sticking out sideways so the toe was parallel with the ground.

And they all waited for weeks.
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: February/22/2012 at 4:53pm
I wonder this same thing too! I just encountered a person who waited so long before coming into a shop. She came in to see me a few days ago with an industrial inquiry. The ball has been sinking into her ear for a couple of weeks and she was pushing it out and putting peroxide on it like the piercer told her to do. When I looked at it, it was almost completely sunken in because of jewelry that was way too short and there was a lot of swelling going on.  When I asked her why she didn't go back to her piercer, she said the girl was rude. When I asked her why she didn't come into another shop sooner, she said "I thought it would fix itself". I mean...it's hard to not sit there and just be blown away sometimes! She wouldn't have an incredibly swollen ear if she had just gone into a shop the day she saw it starting to happen. It's amazing to me that many people think things like that will actually "fix" itself.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
that1chick
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 17

Quote that1chick Replybullet Posted: February/22/2012 at 5:07pm
I feel like people put a lot of trust in the people that they allow to modify their bodies.

I mean, unless a person is absolutely, bafflingly stupid... they won't let someone that they DISTRUST come at them with a needle.

So... if a jackass hack piercer tells them to throw neosporin and Hennessy on their new piercings... most people are going to do that. Even though it's outlandishly stupid. And even when things go wrong, they will think THEY are the problem, because, well, the piercer is a professional and they KNOW.

And I think that makes people embarrassed. Like... when I am pretty confident that I've done something stupid... I don't try to show that off. I try to hide my jackassery. So... I would let something go for a while, assuming it would fix itself because my PROFESSIONAL piercer said this aftercare would WORK.

So... pretty much... I think most issues stem from misplaced trust. Most people can't tell you the difference between a good mod artist and a bad one, so they'll trust anyone holding the right equipment. And THAT is where the problem lies.

EDIT: Sorry for the ramblies.

Edited by that1chick - February/22/2012 at 5:08pm
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: February/22/2012 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Cale

I wonder this same thing too! I just encountered a person who waited so long before coming into a shop. She came in to see me a few days ago with an industrial inquiry. The ball has been sinking into her ear for a couple of weeks and she was pushing it out and putting peroxide on it like the piercer told her to do. When I looked at it, it was almost completely sunken in because of jewelry that was way too short and there was a lot of swelling going on.  When I asked her why she didn't go back to her piercer, she said the girl was rude. When I asked her why she didn't come into another shop sooner, she said "I thought it would fix itself". I mean...it's hard to not sit there and just be blown away sometimes! She wouldn't have an incredibly swollen ear if she had just gone into a shop the day she saw it starting to happen. It's amazing to me that many people think things like that will actually "fix" itself.

i think the whole "it'll fix itself" idea is a huge reason. i think a lot of people have about the same amount of knowledge of their modifications as they do about getting a cut... or they really think the two are identical, and so they act the same way. if no one ever taught them about basic signs of infection, the minute they see any form of discharge IT'S OOZY INFECTED PUS, which is obviously not always (or even usually, it seems) the case.

a lot of people grow up watching tv, and they see that people who have cuts can put antibiotic ointment, so, if a piercing is acting up, it may, in their heads, be the logical thing to apply. a lot of people don't like going to doctors if they don't have to--it's a hassle to get there and wait, and it can be embarrassing to talk about what's wrong. i'm sure this is also the case a lot of times with bodymods. either the person thinks the artist was untalented and did something wrong, or s/he is embarrassed at the idea that s/he did something wrong, so going back to the studio may take too much effort in terms of convincing one's self that it's worth the trip.

obviously none of this is the case 100% of the time, but it does seem to be rather common, at least to me.

i think that more and more, it's almost like someone should have to take a test about everything s/he would need to know about the procedure and aftercare before getting work done..

Edited by evalution - February/22/2012 at 6:40pm
IP IP Logged
belle
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 25

Quote belle Replybullet Posted: February/22/2012 at 11:56pm
i have long time friend who is a very well respected artist in new zealand, and he's like..."most people just dont know a good tattoo from bad" which is true i reckon. its like the doctors, most people blindly follow thier advice, cause they're the pro..maybe *shrugs shoulders* fuck it , maybe people like being sheep and told what to do.

*rant over* sorry, its been a long day hot as hell raining and 98% humidity..my brain is fried.Eye-Popping
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

IP IP Logged
metalbabe
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 57

Quote metalbabe Replybullet Posted: February/23/2012 at 1:06am
I think Mel, Eva and Janine pretty much hit the nail on its head. At times it is merely a case of hope being the last to die.

Perplexing people since 1986
IP IP Logged
randy flagg
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote randy flagg Replybullet Posted: February/23/2012 at 3:51am
Great input.

But I would love to hear from someone who let this happen to them, what they were thinking, and when they realized it was time to go to a shop and get help.
IP IP Logged
AyaMcCabre
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 9

Quote AyaMcCabre Replybullet Posted: February/23/2012 at 5:08am
I've never let it go to that stage, but I ended up with long-term complications because the piercer was stumped. I didn't go to a different one because the only other piercer in town has a major attitude problem that I prefer not to deal with, so yeah, the piercer's personality had a lot to do with it. I came straight on here though so I got good advice... it just came on too quickly to be easily solved. I caught it in the evening and the next morning it was scarily close to embedding.
Time is on my side she said
He may be on your side I said, but it makes no difference in the end -
He's coming after you my friend.
IP IP Logged
Boogieforme
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Boogieforme Replybullet Posted: February/23/2012 at 12:05pm
I ofted stall on things like that because I'm really easily ashamed and I will easily think that everything is my own fault (don't want people to think I'm an idiot). Now I never had anything serious like that happen to me before, but I can imagine that it could be a reason for some people.
- Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost -
IP IP Logged
randy flagg
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote randy flagg Replybullet Posted: February/24/2012 at 1:37pm
Its interesting that ego takes such a part in this. One of the first things I try to explain to someone in a situation of a failing is mod is, its not there fault and they have nothing to be ashamed of.

I tell them its my job to answer questions about mods and I ask what they do for a living. I try to lightheartedly make a comment about if I ever need advice in their occupation I would ask them because its not my job to know how to do their job.

IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version