<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Was thinking of making my own plugs. Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
LukeWard
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote LukeWard Replybullet Topic: Was thinking of making my own plugs.
    Posted: May/14/2012 at 8:04pm
Noooooo, not silly clay ones!

I want to make plugs out of hard wood, like the stuff they use for flooring.

Was thinking of getting some hole saws (Google them Smile )

Then getting the 'slugs' which are normally the waste material sanding them, sealing them and maybe even burn a pattern or symbol on the front with a soldering iron. For the wood I was going to use hardwood flooring samples.

I wanted to know if this would be save to put in my ear, after wax sealing or varnishing them, although the varnish may not be a good shout since well.. it's varnish and may be bad, just wanted to see if it would be okay before i wasted time and actually made them Smile

Thanks guys! Smile
IP IP Logged
heatherfeather
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote heatherfeather Replybullet Posted: May/14/2012 at 8:45pm
I have never done this before, but I don't think varnish would be safe. As far as wax goes, I think it depends on the kind of wax you use. I would be careful about using hardwood floor samples, you might not know what all they have done to the wood. 
IP IP Logged
LukeWard
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote LukeWard Replybullet Posted: May/15/2012 at 6:46am
Okiee dokiee :) I dsidn't think the varnish would be a good idea :P For the wax, i was thinking maybe bee's wax, isn't that how omerica seal their plugs?

I could always ask in B&Q what the woods been treated with. I f not, i could get some wood straight from a builders merchant, but that would probably be pricey, although i wouldn't need much..
IP IP Logged
heatherfeather
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote heatherfeather Replybullet Posted: May/15/2012 at 3:50pm
yes that is how Omerica does it, they also use jojoba oil if the customer requests it instead of bees wax
IP IP Logged
Mish Misfit
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Mish Misfit Replybullet Posted: May/15/2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by LukeWard

Noooooo, not silly clay ones!

Hey watch it... "silly clay" jewlery can be very creative and fun to make. Wink
I've also made some bad ass buttons with that polymer clay - just say'n.

Edited by Mish Misfit - May/15/2012 at 5:44pm
IP IP Logged
LukeWard
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote LukeWard Replybullet Posted: May/15/2012 at 5:57pm
Polymer clay jewelry can be very creative, but also bad, as they're porous which could harbour pathogens and handmade ones would be very hard to get nice and round and smooth, and I'd imagine hard to keep clean, I've taken a long time to get my ears the way they are and i don't wanna ruin it with an infection, no offense to you, that's just my view :)

I was thinking if they were safe, and i could make a good set (of the wooden ones) I would sell them, and there could potentially be people buying them who don't know what they're doing, stretching too fast, not cleaning their ears and i wouldn't want to sell clay as like i stated above, bad stuff could happen D:
IP IP Logged
heatherfeather
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Quote heatherfeather Replybullet Posted: May/15/2012 at 7:03pm
people who stretch to fast are still going to have issues with wood ones, with clay ones, depending on the clay...I would be worried about other particulates sticking to them. 
IP IP Logged
Mish Misfit
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Mish Misfit Replybullet Posted: May/16/2012 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by LukeWard

Polymer clay jewelry can be very creative, but also bad, as they're porous which could harbour pathogens and handmade ones would be very hard to get nice and round and smooth, and I'd imagine hard to keep clean, I've taken a long time to get my ears the way they are and i don't wanna ruin it with an infection, no offense to you, that's just my view :)

I was thinking if they were safe, and i could make a good set (of the wooden ones) I would sell them, and there could potentially be people buying them who don't know what they're doing, stretching too fast, not cleaning their ears and i wouldn't want to sell clay as like i stated above, bad stuff could happen D:

AH, I see.  I only saw the first thread on here didn't see you where looking to make and sell the plugs/jewelry.  You don't want to use polymer in freshly stretched ears of course but if you've been at a size for a while it is fine to wear, as far as getting it round and smooth it is possible and takes skill. 

Good luck with your business, sounds fun :)

Mish

Edited by Mish Misfit - May/16/2012 at 1:56pm
IP IP Logged
LukeWard
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote LukeWard Replybullet Posted: May/17/2012 at 6:07pm
I agree, wood can be bad too, but most of the people I've seen wearing wood have payed enough for them to know what they're doing. I mean some of the clay stuff on Etsy is pretty nifty, but then you have some proper junk, and people still buy them because they're cheap and just want something in their ears, I was talking to a guy in college who didn't even know you could have wooden jewelry! D:

Originally posted by Mish Misfit

Good luck with your business, sounds fun :)

Mish

Thank you! :)

I'm just asking 'cause i don't wanna end up the next post on Awful Mods :P
IP IP Logged
bubblesDclown
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote bubblesDclown Replybullet Posted: May/17/2012 at 6:15pm
I was also wondering how to make wooden plugs. Not to sell but because Id like them to be 1 off. I was thinking just get a piece of wood (I don't know which woods are good/bad tho) hit it with a hole saw. Dremel it to a double flare and the right size, sand, burn in a design with a wood burner, clean and varnish w/ jojoba and wear. My only question is what woods are useable?

Edited by bubblesDclown - May/17/2012 at 6:18pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version