BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: 316L is all you need? Opinions? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 124

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: August/24/2012 at 8:36pm
They don't want to be educated, they just want to 'scene'. We can't even get them to stop saying gauges.

Shakes%20Fist
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: August/24/2012 at 8:51pm
I disagree

"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: August/24/2012 at 9:07pm
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: August/25/2012 at 1:48am
This is a Wal Mart world, I don't share your optimistic outlook on any significant change in industry standards as a whole.  We can talk again in a few years and see if the APP can pull its membership rates to double digits. I'm betting what you will see in that time is a further proliferation of the $20 shops tucked in every nook, cranny, beauty salon and head shop in the country.
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: August/25/2012 at 8:22pm
Why would you even want to be a part of a profession you feel so poorly about?

IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: August/25/2012 at 8:36pm
APP membership = approx. 400+

Of which I AM ONE, and proud of it! And yes, I live where there are $20 hack shops that use crap jewelry, and yes, I lose SOME customers to them. The difference is, I NEVER pass up the opportunity to try and educate a client. And believe it or not, I win most of them over. I have a healthy clientel and i make a decent enough amount of money that Ive stuck with it for over 18 years. What I tell my clients is the TRUTH, that I CAN back up with evidence.

Whenever i feel differently is the day I hang it up.
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: August/25/2012 at 9:08pm
I raised all of my prices just in the last six months now that I only use jewelry from Industrial Strength, Anatometal and Intrinsic. Yeah I lose some business to the cheaper shops but I also gain a lot of business, and even more business from the shops doing bad/cheap piercing. I've also noticed the change in clientele and the amount of money people are willing to spend on jewelry now that I carry quality organics and gold. People who care do exist! And many people really are just uneducated, so a little information can really go a long way! :D
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: August/26/2012 at 3:12pm
I don't pierce. I am speaking on observations. Also based on 20 years of involvement. 13 Professionally. My opinions on the 'average' piercing customer is re-affirmed almost every day. Yes I burned out, and yes I grew tired of dumb asses.

I looked at the shop list for APP, I didn't count them all but I don't think there are 400 shops on that list. look like 100?, and I didn't see 400 piercers names.  There is 5  APP shops in 1000 miles diameter of Billings, with the closest being 250 miles away. There are HUNDREDS of shops in that same area. A straight piercing is a straight piercing, so you jack up the required credential-ism and jewelry production standards as an attempt to separate yourself from the working masses. That's fine. Good for you, whatever, but there are thousands of working piercers in the world who are not APP members, and I refuse to believe they are all hacks.

Offering the customer the best is ethical, demanding they purchase the best is pretentious.

Edited by MontanaPiercer - August/26/2012 at 5:58pm
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: August/27/2012 at 5:22pm
Nobody said non-members are hacks. NO ONE! And we are not trying to separate ourselves from anything. It sad that you have such a low opinion of an organization that is there to HELP piercers and set a minimum standard.

Does using jewelry from the likes of CAM make someone a hack? well, we all have an opinion.

And for the record my opinions on clients are also re-affirmed every day in a positive way, but you take the good with the bad and strive for better. Or you don't.

You've met me. Do I seem like an elitist to you? Just like any group or organization, there will be people involved that other people dont see eye-to-eye with. And yes, some people think they're too cool for school. But to knock an ENTIRE organization based on that is unfair. Kinda like saying all non-members are hacks. Its an assumption that is unfounded

Edited by BigMikeHOOKED - August/27/2012 at 5:25pm
IP IP Logged
MontanaPiercer
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Quote MontanaPiercer Replybullet Posted: August/27/2012 at 5:59pm
One question? Where is the call for 'minimum standards' coming from? Is it the working masses or the minority. The minority. Your standards are not the world's standard.

Piercing started in primitive cultures, and still happens today using the same methods they have used for millenia. Now the piercing police wants to tell them and every piercer not following their rules, that they are doing it wrong? The best is NOT necessary. The best is a luxury.

You want to talk about facts, how about the fact that hundreds of thousands of piercings are done each year without adhering to your inflated 'standards', the vast majority heal fine. That means for most people that level of 'standards' is just fine, and people have a right to do it that way if they want. Legislating elitism is not cool regardless of how 'noble' you think it is.

The APP forgets that body modders throughout history have got along just fine without them. APP could continue on forever or fall apart tomorrow and the vast majority of this industry, and almost every human on earth, most who have never even heard of the APP, will continue just fine.

ALL piercers, good or bad have a right to work. It is the customer's duty to make sure that work is good enough for them, and if it is, nobody has a right to stop it from happening. All piercers also have a right to determine for themselves how they work, and what materials and equipment they use.

Customers have a right to adhere to their own budgets, who cares if they spent 150.00 on shoes. If they don't want to buy high dollar jewelry, they certainly don't have to.

I will always support that choice, and the right to their journey using whatever methods they wish. using whatever tools and materials they wish.

It's like a religion. You can't just be happy with the people who 'believe' but you have to shove it down everyone else's throat too.

To hell with that.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version