Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Rejected Navel Piercing? Post Reply Post New Topic
meetthewretched
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote meetthewretched Replybullet Topic: Rejected Navel Piercing?
    Posted: September/09/2012 at 11:26am
I've had the top of my navel pierced a few times, to the point of horrible scar tissue, because it was infected (once) and the other times, it just seemed to reject - navel piercings are considered surface, for those who didn't know. But I mean, they started the rejection process fairly early, like weeks into getting the piercing..
Now I'm considering possibly getting the bottom of my navel pierced, but what are the chances of rejection if I've had such bad luck with the top??
My Mods:14g rook, 14g tragus, 14g helix, 10g lobals, 12g lobals (2x), 16g left nostril.

Retired:top/bottom navel, 16g right nostril, various helix piercings, 16g hip surface piecings
IP IP Logged
hellodave
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 9

Quote hellodave Replybullet Posted: September/09/2012 at 2:30pm
It could be to do with the shape of your abdomen. Mine began to reject after about 2 months because my anatomy wasn't suited to the piercing (the piercer was too concerned about taking my cash to tell me I wasn't suited, and myself being fourteen, didn't know any better). Does your navel sort of tuck itself in when you bend (if that makes sense)? That was the reason mine rejected. You will have to consult with a reputable piercer in order to determine whether you would be suited to an inverse navel piercing. Good luck!

Edited by hellodave - September/09/2012 at 2:34pm
"Drink plenty of whisky and you'll live as long as me!" - Frank Smith, 1910-2006.
IP IP Logged
ThoughtPr0n
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 10

Quote ThoughtPr0n Replybullet Posted: September/10/2012 at 11:03am
Post pic so we can get a better idea of your anatomy.
Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies.
-Robert Kennedy
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: September/10/2012 at 3:52pm
Navel piercings are not technically considered surface piercings unless you have a specific anatomy. If you had it pierced and you had rejection, then pierced again and experienced rejection again, it is possible that you didn't wait long enough before having it repierced, it was again pierced improperly, or the proper aftercare was not applied. When you're not waiting long enough between the piercing (especially if scar tissue is present) you will have the same issues almost immediately. Some people have to wait many many many months before having their navel pierced after experiencing previous problems.

If you can take a picture of your navel, it would be incredibly helpful. :)
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
meetthewretched
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote meetthewretched Replybullet Posted: September/15/2012 at 3:09pm

Please excuse how fat I look.
Anyway, I had it pierced a few years ago, the first time. It was a bit infected and I had to remove it. The second time (about a year later), I had it pierced again and it rejected. Last year I had a friend from a piercing shop take a look at it and he thought I might be better off trying for the bottom of my navel because of the scar tissue above.

Edited by meetthewretched - September/15/2012 at 3:10pm
My Mods:14g rook, 14g tragus, 14g helix, 10g lobals, 12g lobals (2x), 16g left nostril.

Retired:top/bottom navel, 16g right nostril, various helix piercings, 16g hip surface piecings
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: September/15/2012 at 5:38pm
Your navel anatomy is not such that a piercing there would in ANY WAY be considered a surface piercing. Sometimes if someones has an "outie" piercing the navel can be more similar to a surface piercing but that is not the case with your navel. You have a very defined "lip" around your navel.

Now, that being said, any number of things can cause rejection in a navel piercing. Cale listed some very good examples and has a good theory on why you were seeing rejection so soon after being pierced. Another theory would be a reaction to Nickel in low quality jewelry. Have your piercer get you a NICE quality IMPLANT GRADE Titanium curved barbell if you decide to give it another try.
"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: September/16/2012 at 3:28pm
A closer picture of your navel would be helpful as well to determine how your scar tissue looks. The scar tissue should be mostly white before attempting a repierce. If it's still red, the tissue is not healed enough and you will again experience the same problems as you did before.

Mike pointed out you have a defined ridge and it's very true. Because of that it means you've had inexperienced piercers or bad jewelry in your navel. Piercing the bottom portion isn't going to be any better if you keep going to the same people or using the same jewelry.
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
bellybling
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote bellybling Replybullet Posted: October/01/2012 at 10:38am
The Piercing Bible has some tips for migrating and rejecting navel rings like taking it out before it pushes all the way through
http://piercingbible.com/blog/2011/04/questions-about-piercing-migration-and-rejection
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: October/01/2012 at 4:15pm
Bang%20Head

NOT directed at OP

Edited by BigMikeHOOKED - October/01/2012 at 4:15pm
"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
pierced_celt
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 10

Quote pierced_celt Replybullet Posted: October/01/2012 at 7:16pm
^^^ lol mike. Dear bellybling, UR jewellery sucks balls and ur advice does too.maybe u could write a novel on the correct way to suck eggs? Prob get more customers for that than your shite quality jewellery. But I will give u credit for spending a full hour writing your own testimonials

Edited by pierced_celt - October/01/2012 at 7:21pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version