BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Rook Piercing issues Post Reply Post New Topic
Bladon
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote Bladon Replybullet Topic: Rook Piercing issues
    Posted: September/09/2012 at 12:04pm
I have had my rook pierced for almost a year now, and i've still got a bit of a problem with it from where I don't think it's healed properly. Along the cartilage where it is pierced, you can feel a raised bump which is hard to the touch and not visible when you look at it. It's not a bump like a keloid or hypertrophic scarring, it just feels like it would when a piercing is swollen, only harder to the touch and is not painful. From time to time I still get crusties around the exit holes to the piercing also.
I have a feeling it happened because I had it pierced initially with a straight barbell instead of a curved one, however I changed it to a curved barbell about a month ago hoping it would get rid of the bump but it hasn't as of yet.

If you look here: http://fuckedupfascination.tumblr.com/post/31202967150

you can see the size of my un-pierced rook on my right ear, and compared to the look of my rook where the piercing is on my left ear there is a noticeable bump/swelling to the cartilage around the piercing.

I've tried continuing saline soaks and using tea tree oil but nothing has managed to get rid of this bump, and I can't find any info online that is relevant. Anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of it?
IP IP Logged
ThoughtPr0n
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 10

Quote ThoughtPr0n Replybullet Posted: September/10/2012 at 10:54am
It looks to me like the straight barbell might be to blame. The pressure from swelling and other healing related responses from your body where pushing against the barbell and eventually healed with the bump. When you look at your picture, you can see how the barbell sat in the hole from the angle of the bump. I would suggest emu oil and some warm compresses to soften the tissue. Hopes this helps, but this is only one man's theory.
Progress is a nice word. But change is its motivator. And change has its enemies.
-Robert Kennedy
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: September/10/2012 at 4:26pm
If you just changed it to the curve, it's going to need a little more time. The piercing doesn't look unhealthy, but it still may need time to drain and adjust. Keep up your soaks and for now stay away from oils. The oils could be blocking the airflow to the piercing and not letting it drain accordingly. At this point, you may need to treat it like it's a new piercing as it adjusts to new jewelry. Also, something else that may help is making sure you have a quality piece of jewelry in there. Low quality jewelry will keep your piercing in a constant state of healing, causing bumps, off and on swelling, as well as crusting.

My suggestion is to just give it more time, especially since you recently changed the style of jewelry. Do you soaks and stay clear of oils for now. Try not to mess with it very much. Don't move it back and forth or spin it around. Only remove crust after a soak (no picking crust off with fingers!), and when removing crust, be gentle! Also, avoid stuff like shampoo and conditioner on it, as well as any other hair products. These things will definitely keep your piercing in a prolonged state of healing. I hope this helps you. x
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
Bladon
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote Bladon Replybullet Posted: September/10/2012 at 5:32pm
Okay thanks that's really helpful I do tend to fiddle with it a lot, which obviously doesn't help..just a natural thing I do haha but i'll stop that and continue with soaks and hopefully it should fix itself soon enough!
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: September/10/2012 at 9:17pm
Good luck with it hun!
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged