BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Industrial piercing help needed Post Reply Post New Topic
TashaDax
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote TashaDax Replybullet Topic: Industrial piercing help needed
    Posted: September/16/2012 at 11:16pm
it's been about a month since I got my industrial piercing. At the time, I was too busy being in shock to ask the piercer any questions, so I just went with what was on the sheet of paper that he gave me. It said to use cream on the piercing (don't know the generic name for it, it's used for healing small wounds) and use saline solution. Both were unclear on how long this should be done, how many times a day and what exactly to do. All he told me was to NOT, under any circumstances, move the jewellery side to side.
There's the background of my piercing. Now a month later, I seem to have more and more trouble with it. I'm a slow healer, so I took all that was happening as normal, but since things are getting worse and not better, I thought it would be a good time to ask.
So, how exactly should I be taking care of this thing? I spray it with saline once a day, but from what I've read here, that isn't enough. Also, I keep seeing salt water soaks mentioned. How do I go about that? I'm pretty sure I'm developing hypotrophic (apologies if I messed up the spelling) scars around the inside of both holes and I'm hoping that goes away, but what worries me more is that my ear is turning kinda reddish purple on the back side, where the top hole.
Help?
IP IP Logged
Kissadilla
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Kissadilla Replybullet Posted: September/16/2012 at 11:24pm
Saline is good, cream isn't. I would say do a warm soak 2-3 times a day. My industrial was also extremely finicky and I developed some scarring for 3-4 months, but it does heal and it looks/feels awesome now...slooooowly but surely! Patience, patience :)
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: September/17/2012 at 2:13am
Do you have pictures of your piercing? It will help determine what is going on with it.

A sea salt soak is 1/4 teaspoon of non-iodized sea salt in 8oz (1 cup) of warm water. You basically take the whole cup and soak your piercing in it for three to five minutes at a time, twice a day, then rinse with water afterward to help prevent any build-up or dryness. If you use a pre-made saline (saline in a can), make sure it says 0.9% sodium chloride on the bottle (the sea salt soak mimics the 0.9% sodium chloride ratio). When using pre-made saline, I recommend filling up a shot glass or small cup, and warming it up in the microwave for 10-12 seconds, then soaking the piercing that way. If you're experiencing hypertrophic scarring, chamomile tea bag compresses help. You steep a bag of chamomile tea like you're making it for yourself then take the hole bag and hold it on the piercing. Make sure it's not scalding hot! Compress for five minutes along with one or two soaks a day and I bet you will notice a huge difference. Whitish to yellowish secretion is pretty normal to experience and it will often build up as a crust on your piercing.

Since the piercing is still new, stay away from any creams or oils. These products can actually block the much needed airflow to your piercing and can prolong your healing. Other things you can do to help is leave it alone the best you can. If you need to touch the piercing, wash your hands first. When removing crust that builds up, do it after a soak when the crust is moist and never force anything off as this may make it bleed. Don't move the jewelry back and forth or spin it around. Try to keep your hair off of it the best you can, as well as shampoos and conditioners. It helps to wash your hair over to the side. Try to avoid sleeping on the piercing as well. I hope this helps. x
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
TashaDax
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote TashaDax Replybullet Posted: September/18/2012 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Cale

Do you have pictures of your piercing? It will help determine what is going on with it.

Here are the pics. I've started getting bumps on the outer part of the holes too, but they're still kinda flat and covered by the balls. Also, I tried to take a picture of the redness on the back of my ear. It's more red than it looks in the provided picture.
Also, the big bump on my ear has always been there.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/TheLadyAmalthea/ear-bumps-1.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/TheLadyAmalthea/ear-bumps-2.jpg

Hm... images don't seem to be loading so I left the direct links instead.

Edited by TashaDax - September/18/2012 at 3:15pm
IP IP Logged
Cale
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 258

Quote Cale Replybullet Posted: September/18/2012 at 9:20pm
There are a few different things going on here, but some of the problem may be because of the placement. It looks a little "deep" on both ends, especially on that top hole. It could be because of the irritation you're experiencing, but it looks as if they not only pierced your ridge, but went a little too far back, also piercing into the flat of your ear. However, before worrying over placement, lets try a couple other things first.

The aftercare you were using was wrong, so eliminate that and start the soaking. On top of that, chamomile tea bag compresses once a day. Both of these I explain in a previous post. :) The jewelry is also a little long. Because of this you may be knocking it around or it's getting moved around too much. A better fitted piece of jewelry with smaller ball ends can help minimize problems. Also, do you know what kind of metal the jewelry is? When it comes to steel, internally threaded (where the threading is on the ball, not the bar) implant grade surgical steel is recommended (316LVM ASTM F-138) and also implant grade titanium (Ti6Al4V ELI ASTM F-136) or commercially pure titanium (ASTM F-67). If your piercer cannot provide proof/mill certificates that they use these metals, go somewhere else. Low quality metal can cause an array of issues with your piercing, especially if it is not a high polish. Believe it or not, but even the tiniest nicks or burrs can irritate your piercing, causing bumps and micro-tears, and many people have allergies to nickel. Jewelry allergies are one of the number one causes of getting bumps or having other healing issues.

Now, as for the redness on the back of your ear, this could be a sign of the jewelry sinking in/migration, or even worse, an infection. Infection starts with redness that spreads outward, and you may also experience a lot of heat, swelling, and secretions that are green to brown to black with blood mixed in. I'm not trying to scare you but if you feel like the redness is becoming darker, this could be a sign of infection, or also necrosis, which is where the tissue dies. This could happen because the blood flow is cut of to the area due to unnecessary pressure, which you could very likely be experiencing based on the pictures. It's important to keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, go see your doctor.

For now, keep an eye on the redness behind you're ear and change the aftercare. A change in the aftercare could very likely improve your problems. Don't over-think it. You may not see results right away so give it a chance. It could be days or weeks before you see an improvement with the bumps. I hope this helps you. x
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
facebook.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version