Message Icon Topic: Ear Scalpelling Questions Post Reply Post New Topic
cindereckless
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote cindereckless Replybullet Topic: Ear Scalpelling Questions
    Posted: November/19/2012 at 10:21am
I'm new to this website so if I'm posting this wrong I"m sorry D:
So I have a few questions regarding scalpelling. My ears are at half inch.

As you can see from a side view they look normal but the front view it looks like I have a huge thin spot. Or maybe that's just me. Here's them naked:

It might be hard to see, but I feel like my lobe is thickest closest to where it connects with my face. In the front view I have this weird diagonal look where the part of my lobe above the hole sticks out and down. Now this could all be normal, I'm not sure, but I don't like the look of it and I was wondering if scalpelling to redirect the hole would help.
And if that's the case I have no idea how to find a reputable artist to do it in California.

Edited by cindereckless - November/19/2012 at 10:35am
IP IP Logged
SolidOak
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote SolidOak Replybullet Posted: November/22/2012 at 8:00pm
I had my ears scalpeled from 3/4" to 1" about 3 months ago. The method that was used was to cut and have clear glass tunnels put in.

Winter is rolling in here in Northern MN and my ears are FUCKING PISSED. I pretty much can't wear jewelry right now.

Multiple people I have asked for opinions on this cutting method have told me that the cut/jewelry method leaves way too much scar tissue and they only prefer to use a cut and suture method, where you let the tissue heal before inserting jewelry.

I am no expert but your lobes look really healthy and viable for regular stretching with tapers or PTFE tape.

The only reason I had mine cut is because I had hit a wall and was unable to go past 3/4" even with PTFE tape.

Be sure you are finding and traveling to a highly experienced artist. 
IP IP Logged
SolidOak
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote SolidOak Replybullet Posted: November/22/2012 at 8:03pm
And if you simply don't "like the way your lobe looks"... You are not going to like how they look without jewelry after they are cut, hah

But then again, maybe the person who did mine wasn't the best person for the task.
IP IP Logged
stillill
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 22

Quote stillill Replybullet Posted: November/24/2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by SolidOak

I had my ears scalpeled from 3/4" to 1" about 3 months ago. The method that was used was to cut and have clear glass tunnels put in.

Winter is rolling in here in Northern MN and my ears are FUCKING PISSED. I pretty much can't wear jewelry right now.

Multiple people I have asked for opinions on this cutting method have told me that the cut/jewelry method leaves way too much scar tissue and they only prefer to use a cut and suture method, where you let the tissue heal before inserting jewelry.

I am no expert but your lobes look really healthy and viable for regular stretching with tapers or PTFE tape.

The only reason I had mine cut is because I had hit a wall and was unable to go past 3/4" even with PTFE tape.

Looking for verification from others that the cutting/tapering/jewelry method leaves a lot of scar tissue... This is my first time I have heard anyone say this. I understand tapering/wearing jewelry right away puts pressure on the ear while sutures and letting ears go naked does not, but I was under the impression that if done correctly, scalpelling and going straight to jewelry should not cause a great deal of scarring.
Soon you'll be
more tree
than person.

You'll go camping
in the woods
and never come back.
IP IP Logged
bondagekitten
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 3

Quote bondagekitten Replybullet Posted: November/25/2012 at 5:26am
When I got my ears cut (to even out placement as I started stretching from my original gunned way to low lobes past the point of return before I knew better) I wore the Titanium tunnels that the artist used until they were healed. I had no stitches and can't feel any scarring. Once they were healed I went back to doing oil rubs as I like the feel of doing them but think the tissue would be fine without. I got mine done in January last year and we had a very wet rest of winter so I was glad when I could switch to buffalo plugs and kaos eyelets.
I hope you find a good artist but the placement looks fairly central to my untrained eyes. 
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)
IP IP Logged
tattooedtrish
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 46

Quote tattooedtrish Replybullet Posted: November/25/2012 at 10:50am
I had the same issues as you, SolidOak. I could wear jewelry, but one of mine hurt extremely bad for awhile over the Winter. I think that only happened because I got it scalpelled so close to the Winter.
My avatar (my 4th suspension) thanks to The Holy mackerel in St. Paul, Minnesota.
IP IP Logged
SolidOak
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote SolidOak Replybullet Posted: November/28/2012 at 4:30am
Originally posted by stillill

Originally posted by SolidOak

Looking for verification from others that the cutting/tapering/jewelry method leaves a lot of scar tissue... This is my first time I have heard anyone say this. I understand tapering/wearing jewelry right away puts pressure on the ear while sutures and letting ears go naked does not, but I was under the impression that if done correctly, scalpelling and going straight to jewelry should not cause a great deal of scarring.

Hopefully some Pro's can chime in on this. As I said before I am not a pro, I have only what I perceived to be my experience and what someone else told me.

I too would like to hear more opinions and is the only reason I posted anything.
IP IP Logged
SierraFoxtrot
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 38

Quote SierraFoxtrot Replybullet Posted: December/04/2012 at 2:32pm
Your lobes have a nice shape, and look pretty healthy to me. Why fuck with a good thing?
I don't think you have a thin spot, its just the shape of the flesh there, the lobe curves out and gets a big thicker before the cartilage. My ear lobes are like that too.
I like the way it feels, like a tiny little ear lobe seat that a beetle or a fairy could sit on and dangle their legs down over my plugs.

If you're worried about thin spots, I would recommend downsizing and re-stretching rather than cutting them open. Let them live! Let them grow!

I've got problems of my own, but not the kind that can be solved with an atom bomb.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version