BodyMod.org Forum : BodyMod.org : BodyMod.org News and Updates
Message Icon Topic: Phenom in Training Post Reply Post New Topic
News
BMod Contributor
BMod Contributor

Total Mods: 0

Quote News Replybullet Topic: Phenom in Training
    Posted: March/20/2013 at 10:50am

Is there a 'too young' for the tattoo biz? A father and daughter duo from Abilene, Texas doesn't believe so. Seven year old Alicia Gutierrez is following in the footsteps of artistic greats such as Michelangelo, Ruebens, or Titian, masters who started intensive training at a very young age. Early training is what allowed these individuals to be at the top of their game very early in life. I have heard many tattooist, including myself, lament about where their career might be if only they were able to start earlier. Like me, many artists were not encouraged to pursue it as a career, and therefor came to it, only much later in life. My parents, like many of yours, wanted an engineer or a doctor, something socially 'respectable', and our art was looked upon as childish pursuits. No so with dad Patrick Gutierrez, tattoo artist, shop owner, and father of Alicia, who proudly stands by watching his daughter work the tattoo machine.

This is they type of encouragement that will produce the next greats in this industry. Alicia's father is sure that within a few years, she will be a solid tattoo artists, and I see no reason, given her current skill, that this would be untrue. As a matter of fact, I have seen tattooist in the business for years whose own work isn't as clean as little Alicia's. Though some states require that the tattooist be 18 years old to ply their trade, it isn't slowing her down one bit. I would expect that we see more from this girl as she progresses and grows in age and skill, so remember her name, and the cute little pink 'Future Tattoo Artist' t-shirt. And to dad Patrick? You sir are doing it right. Your daughter thanks you, I thank you, and the industry thanks you.

Source: NYDailyNews.com
IP IP Logged
xevious
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 119

Quote xevious Replybullet Posted: March/20/2013 at 11:10am
Of course there is a too young. I wouldn't want a 10 year old to draw my blood, or do anything else that is an invasive procedure that has to do with bodily fluids, such as tattooing. There are three major things wrong with that picture itself, no clipcord cover, no machine bag, and her gloves are WAY too big to provide much, if any, protection. All this man is doing is throwing his child into something that can make her seriously sick. If he really wanted to get her started, he'd be having her draw on paper to get her ART skills where they need to be. This is fucking ridiculous.

There is a good reason for making children wait until they're older to start learning to tattoo. Besides the obvious health risks, kids just don't draw well. My kids are good for their age, and there is no way in hell I would give them a tattoo machine. Their art skills just aren't at a "permanent" level. Plus, what child has a good grasp of BBP? To them, gross is something they can SEE, not the invisible beasties living in blood. I have seen very intelligent children thing nothing of playing all day, and thinking their hands were clean, because they couldn't see the bacteria and such. 

My daughter wants to be a tattoo artist, just like her mom. I wanted to be a cop, just like my dad. I also wanted to be an astronaut, a magician, a lion tamer, all kinds of things.

Edited by xevious - March/20/2013 at 11:17am
I have titties.
IP IP Logged
News
BMod Contributor
BMod Contributor

Total Mods: 0

Quote News Replybullet Posted: March/20/2013 at 12:38pm
Here's the video from the news all about it:

.: Adam
IP IP Logged
JClaude
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote JClaude Replybullet Posted: March/20/2013 at 2:19pm
If it's too young to get one, it is too young to do one!
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version