Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : General BodyMod.org Chit-Chat
Message Icon Topic: Careers? Post Reply Post New Topic
Titanium92
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Titanium92 Replybullet Topic: Careers?
    Posted: May/17/2013 at 4:31pm
Hope Im posting this in the right section haha.

Ive been searching the internet looking for careers that allow piercings. Im not really worried with tattoos because the ones i have and the ones i want are hidden, but i have 4 facial piercings and counting and im just wondering what to do.
And when i say careers i mean not just a job, like something that ill go to school for and everything.

Thanks.
~~No Action~~
~~No Result~~
IP IP Logged
hoodieninja
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 7

Quote hoodieninja Replybullet Posted: May/17/2013 at 7:22pm
Well, it really depends upon what you want to do as far as careers are concerned. I know that you can attend schooling for mechanics, welding, electrician, etc. and be just fine with the piercings you have. Haha. I don't know if that helped at all but I tried. :p
IP IP Logged
cryptorchild
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 20

Quote cryptorchild Replybullet Posted: May/18/2013 at 1:26am
for the most part any blue collar job probably wont care. don't even bother trying to get a career that is a white collar job because chances are visible mods will be frowned upon in the work place. but im sure theyr are still white collar jobs that would be ok with it. I know that in the restaurant business if your a cook(like me) they probably wont give a damn but some health inspectors may frown upon it. id look around and ask employers what their policies are regarding Body Modification.
IP IP Logged
Echovi
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 13

Quote Echovi Replybullet Posted: May/18/2013 at 5:56pm
Its pretty dependent upon which company you apply for work at. I know a lot of EMS/Ambulance companies dont seem to care too much. However, I can only speak for this area. I've seen some nurses/ER techs. Surgical techs

All that and what was said above. :D
IP IP Logged
Titanium92
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Titanium92 Replybullet Posted: May/19/2013 at 11:30am
Mechanics can have facial piercings?? That's kinda one thing I've been interested in doing.
I know around here cosmotologistscan have facial piercings. My cousin is one n she has her eyebrow, nose, and lip done. And I've seen alot of others. I've also seen a lot of nurses w their nose or lip done. Thing is, I'm not a people person...:/
~~No Action~~
~~No Result~~
IP IP Logged
hoodieninja
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 7

Quote hoodieninja Replybullet Posted: May/19/2013 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by titanium92

Mechanics can have facial piercings?? That's kinda one thing I've been interested in doing.
I know around here cosmotologistscan have facial piercings. My cousin is one n she has her eyebrow, nose, and lip done. And I've seen alot of others. I've also seen a lot of nurses w their nose or lip done. Thing is, I'm not a people person...:/

Yeah, as a matter of fact I am pursuing a career in mechanics. I didn't know that they were allowed to have facial piercings in cosmotology.
IP IP Logged
Titanium92
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Titanium92 Replybullet Posted: May/19/2013 at 4:26pm
Yep haha, my cousin has 3 piercings and she worked at JC Penney, and now shes working at a hair place here in town. And ive seen alot of others with all kinds of piercings. But yeah, the whole mechanic thing, i might look into that. Ive always had a deep interest in cars, but ive never seen a mechanic with peircings...
~~No Action~~
~~No Result~~
IP IP Logged
bustacapinurass
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 19

Quote bustacapinurass Replybullet Posted: July/13/2013 at 2:10pm
I have a white-collar job and I have visible tattoo's and piercings. I'm a Wholesale Account Manager for an e-cig company. When I had my interview with the M.D. and founder of the business, I rocked up with a full-on Mohawk, 38mm lobes, stretched labret and facial tattoo's. I got the job on that same day and haven't looked back (3 years now).

I established myself a strong CV prior to becoming visibly modified. I spent ten years in Marketing Communications for Nissan Motor GB, so that usually opens doors for interviews. I'm confident and capable and come across well in an interview, so I've never had problems.

IP IP Logged
LauraOhFace
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote LauraOhFace Replybullet Posted: July/20/2013 at 5:57pm
Have you considered wearing clear jewelry so you can do which job you wish?

I have always believed my career comes before my mods. I do a job I love and work everything around it.

I take all mine out to work at a school for autistic children with severe mental health issues and challenging behaviours.
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: July/21/2013 at 2:59pm
I only have two facial piercings: an eyebrow piercing that I've had for 8 years and my septum piercing. I take out my eyebrow jewelry for work. I definitely would rather work my mod work around my career for now, and therefore, I do a lot of planning so that things can be hidden.

I have repeatedly been told that multiple pieces of jewelry in ears is not appropriate for interviewing, and I think this is absurd. I've successfully gotten and maintained several jobs without removing any of that jewelry, but that is probably completely unrelated.

I was able to wear my eyebrow jewelry in an alternative (behavior-focused) school I worked in. I work in social services (social work), and at some point, I think I will probably pursue private practice, in which case I can decide for myself what will work.

The policy the agency I currently work for allows for facial piercings as long as they are "tasteful" and "not distracting". I will be happy for the day when these statements are not written into a handbook as they are obviously extremely judgmental and subjective.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version