Aftercare Q&A
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Aftercare Q&A
Message Icon Topic: Ouch... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Titanium92
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Titanium92 Replybullet Topic: Ouch...
    Posted: May/19/2013 at 4:24pm
I just got snake bites around 2 or so weeks ago, the left side was already done, so i just had it redone and its fine, but the right side is new, and i think its not only infected, but it seems the ring is digging into my lip? there is just this huge gash in my lip where the lip ring is (i have hoops in it) Not sure what to do about this. Its been fine the past few days up until yesterday and i couldnt get the swelling down, when i got the chance to look (i was on a road trip) i saw this gash. I clean it alot with mouthwash, and ive been told not to use alcohol, and to use peroxide? I dont know what to do about it.
~~No Action~~
~~No Result~~
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 73

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: May/19/2013 at 5:06pm
If you can go back to your piercer and show them, if you are still on your road trip try to find a decent piercer near to where you are and show them.
If not then try to post a photograph of the piercing on here so we can see what it looks like.

Also try to regularly wash the piercing and wound with saline solution.
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
leeanns86
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 23

Quote leeanns86 Replybullet Posted: May/21/2013 at 5:39am
I personally would NOT do the peroxide rinse at all hun, maybe a saline or salt water like stated above, just try to keep the area as clean as possible and as soon as i got back to where my piercer was i would have him/her take a look at it
IP IP Logged
JWBlack
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 14

Quote JWBlack Replybullet Posted: May/21/2013 at 10:39am
Like they said above start washing it out with quarter teaspoon of sea salt in a cup/mug of boiled water, wait till it goes down to a temperature that doesn't burn you and wash the outside with a cotton bud (clean hands of course) and then swish the remaining salt water in your mouth then spit out.

I personally would not advise going back to that piercer who told you to use peroxide which is pretty much just going to damage your piercing ( generally i would never pierce a lip with a hoop but a labret for the healing stages) when you get back i'd advise you go to a reputable piercer to check it out and/or find the closest one where you are who have good reviews.. the signs of infection are inflamation, odor coming from the piercing, discharge of yellow/greyish fluid and you can usually feel the heat when hovering over with your finger (not touching)

it could be possible that the hoop that was put in is too small for the swelling and the gash is where the bar has bedded and rubbed against and if this is the case then get a piercer to change to a high grade metal, long Labret bar to allow healing

Edited by JWBlack - May/21/2013 at 10:58am
IP IP Logged
Titanium92
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Titanium92 Replybullet Posted: May/23/2013 at 4:54pm
I havent been able to get ahold of the piercer...But yes, thats what happened, the ring was too small and it pretty much inbedded in and created and huge cut in my lip. I use hoops with my lip because of all the swelling, studs never work. but these hoops were appearantly too small. I eventually switched it out to a stud but the cut in my lip is so big that the plate on the back side sits inside the cut. I took the stud out a few minutes ago, and im not sure if i should try to put something else in it or just leave it. Since i took the hoop out though, the cut has healed some, other than where the stud was sitting.
~~No Action~~
~~No Result~~
IP IP Logged
JWBlack
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote JWBlack Replybullet Posted: May/24/2013 at 10:48am
Its best to go to a piercer who can give you a high grade metal (i personally use surgical steel) which is sterilized & packaged from then on you just need to make sure you are not touching it and make sure you are cleaning it on a regular basis.. ive had similar cases i dealt with where a long labret has helped, keeping the disk of the labret out of the the cut and keeping your lip loose so that your teeth do not push it back in and you will find you have to keep pushing the bar back a bit couple times through the day.. from experience things like this have healed enough to allow surface area for the disk to rest, if not then continue this technique for another day and see from there. You do need to make sure you go to a piercer because if your changing the jewelry yourself you are at high risk of infection specially if the piercing is already aggravated

If you plan to take it out and let it heal then you still have to take care of it because obviously infection is still a risk so continue cleaning after removal also and perhaps regular checks with a reputable piercer if they feel it is needed

I hope this helped, obviously its hard for me to give proper advice without seeing it but maybe you could upload a couple of clear photos if you wish for further advice

Edited by JWBlack - May/24/2013 at 10:55am
IP IP Logged
Titanium92
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Titanium92 Replybullet Posted: May/24/2013 at 1:21pm
I went ahead and left the jewelry out yesterday and today and have been cleaning it several times a day. This has been going on for so long that its not worth it and its tearing up that side of my lip. After leaving the jewelry out the cut is already starting to heal closed, where as with any jewelry in, it wouldnt at all.

Ill see what I can do about pictures here shortly.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.
~~No Action~~
~~No Result~~
IP IP Logged
Titanium92
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Titanium92 Replybullet Posted: May/24/2013 at 1:34pm
Here is the day after I got back from my road trip, so right after it first started.

After a couple of days, i took this and decided to change the jewelry

And this is what it looks like now

My dad said it was the reason why ive been laying in bed sick for 6 days straight now, which is why i gave up and took it out to let it heal over, i dont want to fight it anymore.

Now for my stupid question, Do you think ill ever be able to get it redone? :)
~~No Action~~
~~No Result~~
IP IP Logged
JWBlack
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote JWBlack Replybullet Posted: May/25/2013 at 5:37am
You might want to wait at least couple of months for healing and see a decent piercer to check it out.. to see what sort of damage has taken place but after you give it full healing time it should be okay. make sure you are only cleaning it at most twice a day and the right amount of salt otherwise you will end up drying it out and risking infection that way by irritation and removing your bodies defence.

You may find that getting it pierced again may be slightly more uncomfortable due to scar tissue but you could help this by applying vit e or A&D oil on the outside.. not much you can do with the inside but that should heal up fine if not it may be a little tougher to pierce.

I'd say that the other side needs checked out and perhaps changing of the jewelry :)

Edited by JWBlack - May/25/2013 at 7:58am
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: May/25/2013 at 4:09pm
Get that acrylic jewelry away from that healing piecing. That is the lowest of low quality jewelry and can be so irritating to healing piercing that they will NEVER heal. I know you have been given this advice but GO SEE A PIERCER and get yourself some implant grade Steel or Titanium jewelry. If you want these piercings to work, that will be the only way. I would even go so far as to say to skip the Steel jewelry and stick with titanium as it may also be the nickel. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me
"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version