<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Jobs and Clear Labret Retainer Question Post Reply Post New Topic
SuicydePrincess
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote SuicydePrincess Replybullet Topic: Jobs and Clear Labret Retainer Question
    Posted: September/13/2013 at 4:54pm
Hey everyone! So I went in and applied for a professional Photographer job. I spoke directly to the manager about the position and I had all 4 of my sharkbites in (labret studs, 2 silver and 2 black) and chances are, they are not exactly accepted in that kind of environment, or at least not to my knowledge because it is a family portrait studio. The manager did not say anything about them and he really seemed interested in me. He called me today to come in for an interview on Monday, so I guess my question is...

Do you think that if I wear clear labret retainers in all 4 of my lip piercings for the interview that it will have any negative effects on me getting the job? If he doesn't say anything about them should I bring it up or should I just assume it's alright to have them on the job, or at least that it is okay to wear the retainers? If he tells me I am not even allowed to wear the retainers I don't know what I would do, a huge part of me wants to say that I would turn down the job if it meant retiring my lip piercings, being that I put a lot of time, money and pain into having them. Would it be too selfish of me or has anyone on here turned down jobs because their piercings were not accepted and refused to remove them? I have grown so attached to all of my piercings and feel that no job is worth letting them close.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by SuicydePrincess - September/13/2013 at 4:55pm
IP IP Logged
CurlsInMyCoffee
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 8

Quote CurlsInMyCoffee Replybullet Posted: October/27/2013 at 4:23pm
On one hand it sounds as though you have answered your own question stating you don't feel you would remove them for a job, I say not to bring them up if he doesn't leave that page unturned. You have to decide if you want that job right now or your piercings or if you feel you can get what you want along with the mods you want. Maybe it will be the best of both worlds and you won't have to sacrifice one thing for the other. Let us know how you make out! I hope you get the job and can keep your piercings too.
IP IP Logged
JClaude
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote JClaude Replybullet Posted: October/28/2013 at 12:55am
I would wear the clear retainers.
It is a sign of good faith, that you are willing to compromise, which makes you look serious about wanting the job, and it also shows "gently" that you compromise has a limit.
Once you get the job, you will quickly get a feel if you can go back to your favourite jewellery.
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!
IP IP Logged
JClaude
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 32

Quote JClaude Replybullet Posted: October/28/2013 at 12:56am
damn that is an old tread lol
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!
IP IP Logged
LauraOhFace
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote LauraOhFace Replybullet Posted: October/28/2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by jclaude

I would wear the clear retainers.
It is a sign of good faith, that you are willing to compromise, which makes you look serious about wanting the job, and it also shows "gently" that you compromise has a limit.
Once you get the job, you will quickly get a feel if you can go back to your favourite jewellery.

Old but never forgotten.

I agree.. Wear the retainers to show willingness for professionalism and compromise.

My sister is a professional photographer who always wore retainers until she got to a point of having regular returning customers where she wore her own jewellery as they knew and trusted her and image played no factor :D
IP IP Logged
SuicydePrincess
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 4

Quote SuicydePrincess Replybullet Posted: October/28/2013 at 5:05pm
Thank you all for your responses. I have been getting them in my email and reading them as they come but haven't really had the chance to respond back, and for that I greatly apologize.

As for the topic, I got the job and have been working there for a month now and even though it is a job I have been wanting for some time now it isn't exactly what I imagined it to be. Don't get me wrong I love the art of studio portrait photography and love making people happy with the photographs I have taken for them. However, I don't like that I can't use my own creativity to the level I want, I hate having certain rules as to what I can and cannot do in my photographs, it feels a bit restraining and less intimate than the freelance stuff I have been doing for a long time. It is only seasonal right now and I am glad I got a chance to experience this type of profession but if they ask me to stay full time after the Holidays I am afraid I will need to decline.

As for my piercings, every morning before work I put in the retainers and as soon as I get home I put in my regular jewelry. My coworkers have asked me about my piercings and have even noticed my tongue ring occasionally but have not had any complaints as far as I am aware of. None of my customers have said anything either, whether or not they notice my piercings I don't know but as far as I am concerned it's not a problem. The only piercings I wear retainers in are my 4 lip piercings. My tongue, nostril and ear piercings are all left untouched and I keep the shiny's in them and still nobody says anything, which is good.

Anyways, that's the update as far as that goes. Like some of you have said, I am willing to compromise when it comes to working but my piercings are apart of me and I would be very sad if I ever had to take them out permanently. No job is worth giving up who I am and my piercings are a big part of that. Some of you may be able to say the same for yourself and some of you may not. Each to his own!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version