BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Online Stores to buy jewelry Post Reply Post New Topic
JoleneSorenso
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 7

Quote JoleneSorenso Replybullet Topic: Online Stores to buy jewelry
    Posted: January/22/2014 at 12:02am
I am looking for good websites to buy good quality jewelry such as plugs, tunnels, and other stuff for stretched ears. Your help would be very appreciated :)
IP IP Logged
Vio_Lynn
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Vio_Lynn Replybullet Posted: January/22/2014 at 1:36am
Body Art Forms.....they have very high quality stuff. Here's the link:

http://www.bodyartforms.com/

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."
IP IP Logged
Braids
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 30

Quote Braids Replybullet Posted: January/22/2014 at 3:05am
i second BAF, the only other place i buy from is onetribe
omnomnom
IP IP Logged
Teeheemiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 1

Quote Teeheemiller Replybullet Posted: January/23/2014 at 12:42pm
I recommend buying from your local (tattoo &) piercing shop. They will help you measure the exact size and length, the right implant grade material, sterilize your jewelry and even help you put them in. Here is an article written by Courtney, a professional piercer in St. Sabrina's Minneapolis, MN:

These days, body jewelry is available literally EVERYWHERE. You can even buy it in a gas station. I’m sure most people have heard that there are large differences in quality, as far as material, design, and construction. While I personally don’t like the idea of people spending the time and money to get a piercing, then wearing junky, poor fitting, or even dangerous jewelry in it, I do understand that it is YOUR RIGHT to wear whatever jewelry you want, even if it can cause serious consequences.

I have a different idea to present to you about body jewelry. This one is regarding economics. Piercing studios are not an endlessly profitable business. They are not like some, where they can grow almost indefinitely. A piercing studio will always be limited by the fact that people will only get so many piercings, and only so many people can actually have piercings, because of work or school. Part of what keeps a studio going, is being able to sell jewelry. Obviously, there is the added bonus that your piercer has the knowledge to help you select jewelry that will be the best for your piercing- they are also generally the only place that will specialize in body jewelry. This means, more variety. While the store in the mall have the lip ring you want in only one size, a piercing studio will typical have, or be able to order, hundreds of size and color combinations for you. This way you can actually get what you want, instead of settling for what is there. That is all in addition to the ever present issue of quality. It’s really pretty simple: If people don’t support their local piercing studio, there is no way they can stay in business.

So while you may run in to see your piercer for jewelry changes, advice, help stretching, and number of other services, (Some they don’t even charge for!), that professional can only be there to help you if they have a studio to work in. Everyday, more and more retail stores and websites begin selling bargain basement body jewelry. Everyday, one less person buys their jewelry from the local piercing studio.

What I’m getting at, is that if you value the service your local piercer provides to you, buy jewelry at their shop. It seems like such a little thing, to pick up some cheap jewelry at the mall, but trust me, it adds up. Smaller, independently owned businesses cannot stay open if you refuse to support them. So the next time you are bargain hunting on the internet, please remember, if your piercer is good to you, the best thing you can do to repay them is buy jewelry at their studio.

Thank you for reading. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL PIERCING STUDIO !!!
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: January/23/2014 at 9:45pm
I agree with the above post, but..
If you do know the correct length, gauge, etc. that you need, and perhaps don't live near a studio (or live near a studio that sells high quality jewelry), BAF is definitely the way to go. It is not a bargain basement website, and as a professional, you should be aware of this (this does not mean they don't sell some lesser quality jewelry, but they do sell amazing anatometal, IS, etc.)

I am all for supporting local artists who know what they are doing. I think a lot of people don't understand that some people live in piercing deserts or in places where shops are not very reputable.

Going to buy a $20 piece of crap that will fuck up your ear just because it was easily accessible at a local shop is not helpful.
IP IP Logged
Teeheemiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote Teeheemiller Replybullet Posted: January/24/2014 at 3:37pm
The previous post is of many topics:

1) It is true that not all piercers know what they are doing or carry good jewelries to begin with, that is why doing a research on your piercer and their shop is very important. However, if you trust the piercer enough that you would let them do your piercings and believe that he or she carries quality jewelries, then by all means, I do think that you should support them by buying the jewelries from them.

2) It is true that not many people are fortunate enough to live near a good piercer who carries good jewelries, but people have traveled for a good hour or two or three and make a road trip because your body is worth it. I frequently have people travel 2 hours each way to see us and I know a lot of other piercers have clients do the same as well.

3) Also, if you are absolutely sure of your size, length, gauge, materials, etc, a lot of shops will ship to you just like any on-line shops. I don't have a beef with BAF or any online stores; you can just easily buy crappy jewelries from a local shop, but exhaust all your options before turn to an/any online store.

Ultimately, it's your body and it's your money, it's your choice to do whatever you want with it. This is just a suggestion.

Edited by Teeheemiller - January/24/2014 at 3:39pm
IP IP Logged
Vio_Lynn
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Vio_Lynn Replybullet Posted: January/24/2014 at 3:48pm
It's not really a "local" shop if you have to drive a few hours to get there. Just saying...

And I'm sure most people DO look in their local shops for jewellery before they look to order online, but for the people who either do not have access to a car all the time, are always busy with work/other things, or have other personal reasons that prevent them from leaving the house.....online stores are the best option.

I know that you're just giving your opinion/suggestion that people should support their local shops, but it seems like you are trying to push it onto people with the way you word things.

Edited by Vio_Lynn - January/24/2014 at 3:52pm
"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."
IP IP Logged
Alchemyplugs
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: -9

Quote Alchemyplugs Replybullet Posted: January/31/2014 at 1:54pm
Hi i make low cost custom plugs made to order, too your specification. custom wood polished with jojoba oil and sealed with natural beeswax, there vary healthy for your lobes and look great.

I also do plastics and other materials.

Www.facebook.com/alchemyplugs

few examples.
IP IP Logged
SaintGabu
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote SaintGabu Replybullet Posted: February/01/2014 at 9:09am
i’m not sure of how it’s like around wherever OP is, but here it’s hell to get quality jewelry, even more if you want to pick a design instead of just going with whatever the store has, supporting your local shop is awesome and something everyone should do, but we also can’t keep restricting our options to common steel barbells with maybe a gem on top and cheap-ass acrylic plugs just because we want to keep them in business
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version