<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Stubborn nose piercing bump - help :( Post Reply Post New Topic
KGJxx
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote KGJxx Replybullet Topic: Stubborn nose piercing bump - help :(
    Posted: January/29/2014 at 7:17am
I'm sure this topic has come up a fair few times, as I've figured out it seems to be a common problem. So I had my nose pierced on the 30th December and for a few weeks now I've had a large, red fleshy bump on the piercing site - both outside and inside of my nostril. Here it is:

It's not full of pus or anything like that, it is literally a raised area of skin. Every so often the top layer dries up and I peel it off, but this doesn't seem to reduce its size. I've tried all the things I've come across on the internet, like the sea salt soaks and tea tree oil and aspirin paste. Nothing has helped, if anything it has just gotten bigger.

I've seen the word 'keloid' thrown about quite a bit, and the thought that this thing could be a permanent scar is terrifying - it's hideous and I feel like a cartoon witch with a wart on the end of her nose!!! Can anyone identify what type of bump this is from my photo? And is there anything else I can do to try and get rid of it?
IP IP Logged
Karlittod
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 33

Quote Karlittod Replybullet Posted: January/29/2014 at 9:44am
Looks like a keloid alright, keep using the aprin paste and perhaps try get some high quality jewellry, also, you have only had it pierced a month so it is no where near healed.
IP IP Logged
Vio_Lynn
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 11

Quote Vio_Lynn Replybullet Posted: January/29/2014 at 10:11am
^ I agree with the post above.

Also I would try Emu oil. Rub a drop of the oil on the bumps and massage in about 2 times a day (once when you wake up and once before bed). It also helps reduce the chance of scarring.

Other than that just keep up with the aspirin paste and sea salt soaks. It might take a while, but if you keep all these things up it will start to get better.
"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."
IP IP Logged
Teeheemiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 1

Quote Teeheemiller Replybullet Posted: January/29/2014 at 1:42pm
I never like starting out a nose piercing with a ring, hoop, captive bead ring, segment ring, etc. They tend to move around a lot and get snagged easily. So if you accidentally hit on it, bump on it, sleep on it, etc. it would add up to your bump also.

As far as jewelry quality goes, do you know the quality of the jewelry you are wearing (is it implant grade material? Who made them? Will the shop provide a mill certificate of the manufacturer making your product upon your request?) The reason I ask is because of substandard jewelries are a dime a dozen out there and more likely than not, you are wearing one. This vastly contribute to the problem you are having right now.

How did you care for your piercing? A simple saline soak twice a day would suffice. Check the ingredients: it should only contain 0.9% sodium chloride. These products are sterile, isotonic wound wash, which you cannot do the same if you mix your own sea salt. You can buy them at any first aid isle. If you use too many different products within a short span of time, they will just counteract or do nothing and you'll just waste your money.

If you only treat the symptoms but not recognizing the source, it will never go away until you do. You might need to see a professional piercer as soon as possible to better sort out your problem.

Here is a video from a more recognizable piercer in our industry talking about that dreaded bump. Maybe it'll help you to understand somewhat.

How to fix the dreaded piercing bump

IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: January/29/2014 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by teeheemiller

As far as jewelry quality goes, do you know the quality of the jewelry you are wearing (is it implant grade material? Who made them? Will the shop provide a mill certificate of the manufacturer making your product upon your request?) The reason I ask is because of substandard jewelries are a dime a dozen out there and more likely than not, you are wearing one. This vastly contribute to the problem you are having right now...

....Here is a video from a more recognizable piercer in our industry talking about that dreaded bump. Maybe it'll help you to understand somewhat...

this.

Edited by evalution - January/29/2014 at 7:47pm
IP IP Logged
SaintGabu
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote SaintGabu Replybullet Posted: January/29/2014 at 9:23pm
that looks like a segment ring, if that’s the case change that out for a CBR

EDIT: oh, and chill out on different methods to take it down, that may be irritating your piercing, stick to one and give it time while cleaning with saline soaks (don’t try to make your own saline, just buy it at a pharmacy)

Edited by SaintGabu - January/29/2014 at 9:24pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version