BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Aftercare Q&A
Message Icon Topic: Frequent bumps on nipple piercing Post Reply Post New Topic
Zennit
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Zennit Replybullet Topic: Frequent bumps on nipple piercing
    Posted: February/07/2014 at 2:11am
I understand this question has been asking many times but I don't find they quite answer my questions. So I do apologize for the repeat. I have had my piercing for 15 months now and it still has not healed. I frequently get bumps around the opening and based on the little researched I've done they're cyst like. They come and go often. Honestly I gave up cleaning it frequently after the year mark. I have always used the H2O spray. Basically I am wondering If I should continue to even keep the piercing. Maybe my body is rejecting it? Maybe I need to hardcore clean it for another month or so? Will SSS do the trick, never heard of it until today. Please help, I would like to keep it.

Edited by Zennit - February/07/2014 at 2:13am
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: February/07/2014 at 4:30pm
What kind of jewelry do you have in? (metal, grade, etc.)
IP IP Logged
SaintGabu
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote SaintGabu Replybullet Posted: February/08/2014 at 3:43pm
cysts mean irritation, maybe your “hardcore cleaning” is irritating the piercing, things like heavy duty anti-bacterial soap and oils may do that

the other thing that it might be is nickel allergy, which is uncommon, but very possible

first thing i’d do is get rid of the H2Ocean spray and start cleaning it during your (hopefully) daily bath with nothing but water and neutral soap, you know, the really mild one for sensitive skins, and then get your nipple to a piercer explain to him what’s happening and buy a nice titanium curved barbell from him (i don’t know what’s the standard jewel for nipples over in the states, but around here it’s curved) and gently ask him to exchange the piece for you, not all of them will do it because some piercer have really hardcore sense of moral superiority and will not hesitate to tell someone who got pierced at a cheap place or at home to “go die in the hospital” (actual words from an actual piercer, one doesn’t have to wonder much about how i came to dislike most piercers so much), if one refuses, simply go to the next one, but not before muttering some really mean words before exiting the studio
IP IP Logged
Zennit
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Zennit Replybullet Posted: February/13/2014 at 9:08pm
I said I was going to start hard core cleaning, but that I had been neglecting any cleaning at all other than soap in the shower for about 6 months. I have surgical steel barbell, like one for a tongue piercing. I'll go to a piercer than and see what they say about the length of healing time. My body rejects most ear piercings for whatever reason so maybe my nipple is having a similar reaction. My belly button took a year to heal but it was never this bad besides the first day or two which is expected. Thanks for the replies
IP IP Logged
Zennit
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Zennit Replybullet Posted: February/13/2014 at 9:12pm
as to the second reply. It is identical to a tongue barbell. surgical steel, straigh and 12 or 14 gauge ( not 100% sure, was more that a year ago I was told)
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: February/14/2014 at 8:44pm
You may try switching to better quality jewelry. Often a big issue that leads to bumps is jewelry quality.
IP IP Logged
SaintGabu
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote SaintGabu Replybullet Posted: February/15/2014 at 12:15am
since you’ve had problems with piercings before, i’d go with nickel allergy

as for the gauge, i’d seriously doubt any piercer would go straight to 12ga in a customer’s nipple (not that it can’t be done or that it’ll cause problems, it’s just not what the average customer wants); my god are gauges confusing

try upgrading your jewellery, titanium or niobium
IP IP Logged
freckled20
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 42

Quote freckled20 Replybullet Posted: February/21/2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by zennit

I said I was going to start hard core cleaning, but that I had been neglecting any cleaning at all other than soap in the shower for about 6 months. I have surgical steel barbell, like one for a tongue piercing. I'll go to a piercer than and see what they say about the length of healing time. My body rejects most ear piercings for whatever reason so maybe my nipple is having a similar reaction. My belly button took a year to heal but it was never this bad besides the first day or two which is expected. Thanks for the replies

You honestly shouldn't be using soap to clean your nipple piercings. If you don't get all of the residue clear from the exit/entry points, it could cause a flare up. Treat them like fresh piercings:

From BME: "The most common mix is ¼ teaspoon salt per 8oz (250ml or 1 cup) of distilled warm water. When mixed correctly the solution should taste as salty as your tears, and be about as hot as a drinkable cup of coffee.

To soak your piercing, invert a disposable cup (or shot glass) of water over the piercing and soak for 5-10 minutes. When finished soaking, it is extremely important to rinse piercing with a brand new Q-tip and cold water to remove discharge both on and around piercing and jewelry."

Carefully pat dry with a clean paper towel. I don't suggest using a dry q-tip because of the fibers that could get caught/left behind.

You could try looking into different jewelry as well -- titanium is a good one, and Teflon can help too -- talk to your piercer about it.

Hope that helps!
Don't judge me monkey...
IP IP Logged
Pozzy
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 94

Quote Pozzy Replybullet Posted: February/24/2014 at 3:41pm
Long sea salt soaks will help, you can also try breast feeding pads in your bra for about 3 weeks to reduce rubbing and friction, the lumps are normally a form of keloid however unlike ears we see and feel our nipples on a more day to day basis so we can over clean them as a result, this can result in irritation and more trauma for the piercing, don't pick the lumps just soak them in sea salt and water but not too much salt as this can dry out the fistula (The Tunnel created by the piercing) then matter and salt can get stuck to the metal bar resulting in more trauma and irritation prolonging the healing process.

I hope this helps, the poster above me pretty much sums up the rest.

Poz
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version