<<<  Return to the BodyMod.org Community
  Active TopicsActive Topics  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  
Piercings
 BodyMod.org Forum : Body Mods : Piercings
Message Icon Topic: Can't have lobe piercings but other piercings are fine...? Post Reply Post New Topic
kiki81
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote kiki81 Replybullet Topic: Can't have lobe piercings but other piercings are fine...?
    Posted: June/03/2014 at 10:21pm
I have 5 lobe piercings (2 on left lobe, 3 on right lobe). I have had these piercings for over a decade. I cannot wear any jewelry in them (this started about 2 years ago). Solid gold, silver, stainless steel, etc. My ears swell up and get itchy within 1 minute of wearing any type of jewelry at all. After I take out the jewelry, a hard ball forms around the piercing itself. It goes away by the end of the day.

I have two nostril piercings and a web piercing with stainless steel jewelry, septum and cartilage with titanium, and a daith piercing with surgical implant grade titanium.

I have had no problems with any of these piercings. They have all been done in the past 2-3years.

Anyone know why my lobes cannot handle ANY jewelry at all but I can have all these other piercings with no problems?

Edited by kiki81 - June/04/2014 at 4:07am
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: June/03/2014 at 10:52pm
Have you tried (implant grade) titanium or niobium?

I have pretty severe metal allergies, and those two do well with me. Lobes seem to be more sensitive than other skin, in my experience, but I couldn't tell you why.
IP IP Logged
kiki81
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote kiki81 Replybullet Posted: June/03/2014 at 10:57pm
Ah yes, my daith is implant grade titanium (I wrote steel in the original post)

I have not tried that in my lobes, what kind of jewelry do you have in your lobes that is implant grade titanium?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
evalution
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 34

Quote evalution Replybullet Posted: June/03/2014 at 11:30pm
I have what is generally called labret jewelry in my 2nd holes and higher (still in lobe skin) from neometal. These are titanium, threadless, and amazing. If you haven't seen threadless jewelry, it's a little more expensive, but it looks like this. I'm not sure what different shapes you can get in niobium, though I've gotten niobium hearts and cbrs before. I just don't think I've seen them in this sort of shape. I've stretched up my bottom holes and usually wear glass in those.
IP IP Logged
SaintGabu
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 1

Quote SaintGabu Replybullet Posted: June/04/2014 at 3:53am
it is possible that extensive use of low quality jewellery has deposited slightly toxic metals in your lobe's fistulas, you could try allowing the holes to close therefor releasing this materials onto your general blood stream (it's probably a very low amount in a very high concentration, if they spread they'd be effectively harmless) and repiercing

then again, this is a theory i could never actually proove, it might not even be possible, it's jut what i assume from hearing stories like your's
IP IP Logged
kiki81
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote kiki81 Replybullet Posted: June/04/2014 at 4:05am
Ahh interesting theory. My only problem is that I don't know if the lobe piercings would close. I have left jewelry out for years at a time and they are the exact same size as before.

Thanks for your input!
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 74

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: June/04/2014 at 7:52am
Unless gold is 24K it can cause a lot of problems due to reactive metals like silver, copper, or tin. 24K gold may be an option but it will be an expensive one and you'll need a reasonably thick gauge as the metal is too pliable for really thin gauge jewelry. Most gold tends to be 12, 16, 18 or 22K which won't work for your ears.
Your best option, as has been already mentioned, would probably be implant grade titanium.
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
Teeheemiller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 1

Quote Teeheemiller Replybullet Posted: June/04/2014 at 6:37pm
Shop for NeoMetal threadless jewelries (Also Industrial Strength and Anatometal brand names, though theirs aren't threadless). NeoMetal only makes implant grade Titanium (and Gold) with tons of threadless/internally threaded jewelries options for gemmed ends. I use mainly NeoMetal 18g threadless jewelries for most clients' lobes. You might have Titanium jewelries, but with the increased popular of "implant grade" material, it's best to know exactly which company makes your jewelries because not all jewelries are created equal.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version