Message Icon Topic: Tattoos in the workplace Post Reply Post New Topic
emilycantfly94
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote emilycantfly94 Replybullet Topic: Tattoos in the workplace
    Posted: November/05/2014 at 6:33am
Hi everyone (:

I just want to know, what does everyone think of tattoo and piercing discrimination in the workplace? And has anyone ever experienced it?

Feel share to share opinions ^^
IP IP Logged
choo
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote choo Replybullet Posted: November/05/2014 at 4:25pm
I'd never show my tattoos in the workplace, all mine are coverable with long sleeves or a flesh colored spandex sleeve thing I wear.

I forgot to wear it once and no one said anything, they just gave me filthy looks, in my country its illegal to discriminate in the workplace because of tattoos, I don't doubt for a second it happens daily though and I don't show mine for this reason (don't give em an excuse).
IP IP Logged
BigMikeHOOKED
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 30

Quote BigMikeHOOKED Replybullet Posted: November/05/2014 at 7:22pm
I am heavily modded. I am lucky, in that I am in the industry and can basically do whatever I want. However, my opinion on tattoos and piercings in the workplace will not be a popular one on this site. As an employer, you should have the right to make the rules for your employees appearance. Especially if you deal directly with customers.
"stay true to your obsessions" V. Vale
IP IP Logged
emilycantfly94
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote emilycantfly94 Replybullet Posted: November/06/2014 at 9:13am
Originally posted by choo

I'd never show my tattoos in the workplace, all mine are coverable with long sleeves or a flesh colored spandex sleeve thing I wear.

I forgot to wear it once and no one said anything, they just gave me filthy looks, in my country its illegal to discriminate in the workplace because of tattoos, I don't doubt for a second it happens daily though and I don't show mine for this reason (don't give em an excuse).

Thanks. You said it's illegal where you are, but have any of your friends or anyone you know ever had any grief because of their tattoos at work? Do you think the members of the public think that tattoos are more acceptable in some work roles than others?

IP IP Logged
emilycantfly94
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote emilycantfly94 Replybullet Posted: November/06/2014 at 9:14am
Originally posted by bigmikehooked

I am heavily modded. I am lucky, in that I am in the industry and can basically do whatever I want. However, my opinion on tattoos and piercings in the workplace will not be a popular one on this site. As an employer, you should have the right to make the rules for your employees appearance. Especially if you deal directly with customers.

Thank you. I know the law in America in some states gives employers more rights in this area than perhaps here in the UK. Can you tell me a bit more about what employers' and employees' rights are around tattoos and piercings where you are?

IP IP Logged
emilycantfly94
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote emilycantfly94 Replybullet Posted: November/06/2014 at 9:16am
Originally posted by emilycantfly94

Hi everyone (:

I just want to know, what does everyone think of tattoo and piercing discrimination in the workplace? And has anyone ever experienced it?

Feel share to share opinions ^^

I'm a student at the moment. I have one tattoo, but it's very discreet. How do you think employers in an office based context where you are would be if I had a tattoo I couldn't cover up?

Do you think it's think it's more acceptable for a man to have a visible tattoo in the workplace rather than a woman?
IP IP Logged
Keiran1980
Mod Zentity
Mod Zentity

Total Mods: 72

Quote Keiran1980 Replybullet Posted: November/06/2014 at 4:14pm
I work in a job where I can show my tattoos but I don't because it would not be great for the business (I live in a pretty conservative area).
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson
IP IP Logged
choo
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote choo Replybullet Posted: November/06/2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by emilycantfly94

Thanks. You said it's illegal where you are, but have any of your friends or anyone you know ever had any grief because of their tattoos at work? Do you think the members of the public think that tattoos are more acceptable in some work roles than others?

yes iv known people to have grief, we have a private school teacher with her neck tattooed in the news at the moment but that's just for publicity (didn't interview with visable tattoos, knows Australias laws and did it to sue most likely).

when I had my bridge/ears/septum pierced + my tattoos iv been asked to leave a resteraunt and refused shop service.

tattoos are more acceptable in trade jobs and jobs where are more physical performance based typically care less about how you look and more on how much work you can do.
IP IP Logged
zhuanghan
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote zhuanghan Replybullet Posted: April/08/2015 at 10:33pm
Hey! I think I recall seeing your username once or twice, but I don't think I was on the old enough during the time you were there to really get to know you.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Runescape Gold
RS Gold
Archeage Gold
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version