Message Icon Topic: Parental Problems Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Smab
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 0

Quote Smab Replybullet Topic: Parental Problems
    Posted: November/12/2005 at 9:53pm
I've been wanting to get my eyebrow peirced for a long time but since i'm only 14 i need to convice my parents to let me get it. My dad's fine with it but it's my mom who's the problem but she's getting closer to letting me by the time she'll let me it'll be my birthday-June-. Does anyone have ways to convince parents to let you get peircings sooner.
A witty saying proves nothing
IP IP Logged
Soulreaver
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 13

Quote Soulreaver Replybullet Posted: November/12/2005 at 10:53pm

well I'm not sure that it's necessary to convince them sooner if you are serious about this then it shouldn't matter waiting a few months, you'll still want it by your birthday, besides you're still young, I know it's tempting and you want it now but just relax there is plenty of time to get it done

IP IP Logged
t3chDzyn
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 16

Quote t3chDzyn Replybullet Posted: November/12/2005 at 11:27pm
I went through the same thing at a younger age and my mom flipped on it.  Luckily for me she knows nothing about my piercings other than my ears.  I think the best way to approach any parental situation is to do some research.  Find out why your mom isn't into it.  With my mom it's because of an article she read saying that if you get into some horrible accident and they have to use the shock paddles on you they can't do it with metal in your body.  I found out years later from a friend who is an EMT-2 that this is not true.  In the event they did have to take them out for some reason, they are pretty intelligent people and know how to take them out, and if that doesn't work, they have cutters to cut the jewelry and not to harm you.  I'm getting side tracked here, the point is, find some reputable info to refute your mothers fears about the piercing.  If it's just the whole "I don't want my kid to be a freak thing", just do your best to make her understand that it's just you being you.  At 14, this might be a little hard, I know sure as hell I didn't really know what I wanted when I was your age.  Jeebus that was almost 13 years ago.  Sum it up, keep your calm, don't start a heated argument, and find the information you need.  There is plenty on this site, Montana Piercer is the largest wealth of body mod knowledge that I know of.  Good luck.
IP IP Logged
Smab
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Smab Replybullet Posted: November/13/2005 at 12:50pm
I've got an industrial that I've had no problems with so she know I can take care of it. it just that it's a facial peircing that she has a problem.

Edited by Smab
IP IP Logged
*_star_*
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote *_star_* Replybullet Posted: November/13/2005 at 3:50pm
she might jst be worried about it gettin caught or somit i had a problem with ma mum when i wanted my lip pierced n her only reason agenst it was the fact that shes knew how addictive it was from her own youth n thought id end up with a face full of holes dunno if that will help u understand y she might not want u to get it done.
Chárlië
IP IP Logged
The_Bringer
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 21

Quote The_Bringer Replybullet Posted: November/13/2005 at 6:58pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she doesn't want to let you get it you just have to accept that and wait until you are old enough. If it's something you really want to do, you'll do it when you're old enough anyway. Just make sure you realize the limits it puts on your job prospects, in many regards a visible facial piercing is as much of a commitment as a visible tattoo, at least if you plan on keeping the piercing for the rest of your life.

Many places will refuse you, even if you put in a retainer or take out the jewelry completely. I knew full well that getting facial piercings would limit my job prospects but it's a trade off that I am fine with. I'll take a cut in pay, and as many strange looks as you can give me so long as I can keep my piercings, because they make me happy and it's an extension of who I am.

Good luck.

Oh mother, show no mercy for me.
IP IP Logged
Smab
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote Smab Replybullet Posted: November/13/2005 at 8:15pm

She has accepted th fact that I will get my eyebrow peirced eventually if not when she allows me to then on the day I turn 16.

The most annoying thing is that she won't tell me why I can't besides that she says so.

IP IP Logged
*_star_*
Mod-let
Mod-let

Quote *_star_* Replybullet Posted: November/13/2005 at 8:54pm
well thats a good thing then init
Chárlië
IP IP Logged
The_Bringer
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 21

Quote The_Bringer Replybullet Posted: November/14/2005 at 5:10am

I think the problem you mom has with your wanting a piercing is the problem most parents have with any modification. Most parents have a pre concieved notion that piercings, tattoos, etc.. Are only a "fad" and don't really realize how long these things have been around. So in not letting you get what you want until you're 16, I think she's hoping that maybe by then you will have outgrown it or completely forgotten about it.

If modification is something you really are attracted to, don't let anybody discourage you, just do the research until then. If there are any other modifications you want but don't know a lot about, research them. And when you turn 16 if you're still as interested in it, present your case to your mom in an intellectual way. Discuss with her your intentions and reasoning behind doing what you want to do, etc...

I luckily don't have the problem with my parents as not only am I old enough but I was blessed with 2 parents who never gave a shit. I did have some reaction when I pierced my ears my dad thought I was "gay" and didn't talk to me for a while(like I cared!). Other than that my mom hated my stretching but has grown to love them now.

She used to give me the whole "you have such a handsome face, why ruin it?" but I would just counter with "mom, I'm still handsome, it's just that now with piercings people notice it even more"

Anyway good luck with the piercing. If you're looking for knowledge of any kind you've come to the right place. Bodymod.org is home of countless individuals with a general wealth of knowledge on all things modification, so enjoy.

Oh mother, show no mercy for me.
IP IP Logged
sweetiehoneybab
Mod God
Mod God

Total Mods: 36

Quote sweetiehoneybab Replybullet Posted: November/14/2005 at 6:21am

when i was 14 and i wanted a piercing and my parents said not until i was 16,  i just begged and wined till the got so sick of me saying 'can i have a piercing, can i have a piercing, can i have a piercing....' over and over and over, that they eventually gave in.

other than that get something the won't see!

IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version