BodyMod.org Forum : BMod Professional's Corner : Q&A for BMod Professionals
Message Icon Topic: Gum Recession Post Reply Post New Topic
smoph
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 18

Quote smoph Replybullet Topic: Gum Recession
    Posted: September/24/2006 at 6:46am
Just a few quick questions for those who can help me best with my inquirey...

I was sitting on BMEzine yesterday afternoon happily going through the encyclopedia when I noticed 'Gum Recession'. Checking my front two teeth in the mirror, I noticed that my gums around those teeth seemed a little low, nothing major, possibly up to 1mm, maybe less (I wish I actually had a comparison of my teeth beforehand).
When I had my labret pierced,(about 3/4 months ago) the woman who I had it pierced with, who went about the actual piercing extremely sloppily and took, say, about 3 minutes -.- didn't check my gums or teeth for placement.
Being rather naive at that point about oral piercings, I didn't do what I would do now, and question whether that was right, and walk out if it wasn't.

I'm currently wearing a BCR in it, that fits snugly, the ball bearing nicely placed underneath my lip, and not only does this not rub against my gums at all, but it hardly knocks on my teeth.
I wonder if I had irritated the gum by wearing a long post after the initial swelling had gone down, and whether me changing to a smaller post would have any effect.
It's quite difficult to tell if the smaller post rubs against my gums.

My main question is, if I remove the piercings, will gum recession stop?
If I get repierced, IN THE CORRECT PLACE, with gum recession reoccur at all?

Also, where I work requires me to wear a retainer, or a post without the end threaded on (if i'm sneaky enough..)..

I'd rather take it out now and stop the recession and be able to get it pierced slightly lower down, than not at all.
I love my labret, but I love my teeth more

Your suggestions and help are much appreciated,
Thanks =)

xxx smo xxx
IP IP Logged
Ragnar
BMod Pro
BMod Pro

Total Mods: 100

Quote Ragnar Replybullet Posted: November/04/2006 at 5:06pm
well...hard to say without looking at it!

If the area is a little irritated i recommend a stud out of PTFE (Teflon) because the plate inside is very soft and smooth and will do you no harm. Plastic will not meet this!!!

But the placement is important so i can just guess.
Hailz!
ARS
www.stigmata-inc.de
---Pierce it Right !!! ---
IP IP Logged
Keairao
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 22

Quote Keairao Replybullet Posted: November/04/2006 at 6:11pm
gum recession is always a risk with labrets (well, not vert.labrets). Correct placement and proper jewelry will help to minimixe those risks. get a shorter post, so that it isn't rubbing against the gums as much. You can also try PTFE as Ragnar suggested, but depending on placement this may or may not help. Keep a close eye on it, and take it out if the gum recession doesn't stop (once the damage is done it can only be corrected by extremely expensive dental work - and it's not perfect.) If you are really concerned, or if the above doesn't work take it out and get it re-done in a month or two by someone else. Even when done properly gum and tooth damage is possible, but it a pro should be able to minimize those risks
IP IP Logged
smoph
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 18

Quote smoph Replybullet Posted: November/05/2006 at 10:04am
thank you so much for your advice. i'm still concerned, but im currently wearing a much shorter post that sits right up against my lip and doesnt rub. i can see now that the damage done was significant when compared to the rest of my gums and i am, naturally, a complete hypochondriac so i'm very worried by all of this. at least i'm learning to be careful.
I'm angry at myself for not researching the potential risks of the piercing, and im angry at the piercer for not telling me as gum recession is, as far as i know, a very likely risk.
i'm just keeping my eye on it, and making sure i notice if it's rubbing.
i've benefitted from this in a way i think...i'm now thinking a lot more about the piercings i do actually want..quality rather than quantity. =)

xxx smo xxx
thanks again!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version