Page  of 3 Next >>
Adam
BMod Admin
BMod Admin

Total Mods: 71

Quote Adam Replybullet Topic: Canadian Docs Scare Me
    Posted: August/16/2007 at 10:45am

Click for Full Size
"Do lower-back tattoos lead to more pain in delivery room?

Mayo Clinic obstetrician sees 'no conclusive evidence' of adverse effects
August 16, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY GABE SEMENZA - VICTORIA ADVOCATE
Medical experts warn that pregnant women with fresh, infected or large lower-back tattoos may be refused an epidural during labor.

Their warnings come amid international debate about whether to give pregnant women with the popular lumbar tattoo an epidural even if the tattoo is "healthy."
The risk of further infection is too high, some Canadian doctors say.

Dr. Roger Harms, a U.S. Mayo Clinic gynecologist and obstetrician, fielded online questions from concerned U.S. mothers-to-be who'd joined a growing number of women permanently painted with lower-back tattoos.

"Actually, very few studies have looked at the risks of epidurals in women with lower- back tattoos," Harms writes on the clinic's Web site. "But there is no conclusive evidence of any adverse effects, such as an increased risk of infection."

In Canada, studies have shown otherwise.

Victoria's Gayle Austin has a lower-back tattoo, a Celtic Tree of Life spreading upward from just above her pants line.

This 50-something tattoo artist and parlor owner said the lower-back tattoo became popular about the time it became fashionable for women's jeans to be cut low in the back.

The tattoos are also popular on women for the same reasons ankle and shoulder tattoos are trendy: The skin in these areas is near bone and covers only sparse body fat, which can alter a tattoo's look over time.
"Twenty to 25 percent of women who get tattoos here get the (lower-back) tattoo," Austin said.

Dr. Melissa Wilson, a Victoria obstetrician and gynecologist, said she knows of no health risks associated with pregnant women, with healthy tattoos on the lower back, who receive epidurals.

Jeff Davang doesn't either. The certified nurse anesthetist administers epidurals in Victoria hospitals.

"I don't think any of us mind if they have a tattoo as long as it's not a fresh tattoo," Davang said. "Then you have a risk of infection."

Davang said that once a tattoo heals, the pigment becomes embedded in the skin, and "a needle won't drag it through the skin and push it into the body. I won't refuse to do it, and I don't know of anybody who would."

Dr. Gary Cox, a Victoria dermatologist, recommends against tattoos in general.

"I'm not a fan," he said, laughing. "I end up removing a lot of tattoos."

Even so, he mirrored Davang's comments. He said if a women's lower-back skin is inflamed, it's not wise to administer an epidural.

"If you did, you could introduce infection into the central nervous system," he said. "You have to be careful, and in that case, I do know doctors who would resist injecting needles through infected or diseased skin.""

Source
IP IP Logged
Audrielle
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote Audrielle Replybullet Posted: August/16/2007 at 12:12pm
Government money at work...you'd think they'd spend it on something useful like autism, cancer, diabetes, or HIV research.
What are they going to do next- refuse to give a woman with a back piece spinal anesthesia for a c-section and opt for general anesthesia which has a greater risk of complication?
What a bunch of over-educated idiots.
The only real solution to lack of creativity is practice.... and sometimes patience.
IP IP Logged
jbrandona119
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 2

Quote jbrandona119 Replybullet Posted: August/16/2007 at 4:40pm
ehh my mom has always told me this. she's a nurse and she said that the hospitals she's worked at refuse to give them the epidural....

it's just a safety precaution i guess...
IP IP Logged
LittleMissMad
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 11

Quote LittleMissMad Replybullet Posted: August/16/2007 at 4:47pm
well to be honest where i gave birth to my son and have got a lower back tattoo,i was offered one of them but i said no so as Audrielle says "what a bunch of over-educated idiots" I agree totally
IP IP Logged
fnlucky
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote fnlucky Replybullet Posted: August/16/2007 at 8:16pm
wow! never seen this before and i work in a hospital....i will have to check with the girls on L&D. yeah way to much time spent reserching this...
guess we have nothing better to do with the money huh?
IP IP Logged
Audrielle
Heavy Modder
Heavy Modder

Total Mods: 12

Quote Audrielle Replybullet Posted: August/16/2007 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by jbrandona119

ehh my mom has always told me this. she's a nurse and she said that the hospitals she's worked at refuse to give them the epidural....

it's just a safety precaution i guess...

I'm no fan of the epidural...I'm a bit crunchy and believe in natural birthing...but I honestly can't believe that a hospital would risk the liability of general anesthesia over spinal anesthesia for something as idiotic as "there's not enough research to prove that it *is* safe to give a woman with a healed tattoo an epidural."
The only real solution to lack of creativity is practice.... and sometimes patience.
IP IP Logged
InsaneIQ
Apprentice
Apprentice

Total Mods: 16

Quote InsaneIQ Replybullet Posted: August/16/2007 at 10:25pm
I'm no expert or ever have to worry about child birth *thank god*. But I do know bull shit when I see it. This is just another attempt by the main stream society to alienate the body modification subculture.
Violence solves everything!
IP IP Logged
Lina9
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 5

Quote Lina9 Replybullet Posted: August/17/2007 at 2:51am
This kind of "study" just proves how stupid and pigheaded (oops, I shouldn't insult pigs) people can be, especially when it comes to women's health issues and body modification.
Cute. A good excuse for punishing women for getting those evil body mods. We'll just withhold your pain remediation...
Disgust
IP IP Logged
eatenplacenta
Mod-erator
Mod-erator

Total Mods: 160

Quote eatenplacenta Replybullet Posted: August/17/2007 at 4:06am
i'm often baffled by things like this. although i am canadian (and quite proud), i do not by any extent agree with this. a healthy tattoo should be and in my opinion is perfectly fine for an epidural. this further proves my belief in doctors not knowing anything about body modification in any sort of health and care way. i have always found it ridiculous that the media and society wants to weed out the modified and different folk, and alienate us. they just aren't bright enough to understand and see that our vision of beauty is what we do, not how they are. i find it ridiculous that often people want to punish us with their prejudice because of it, by cutting us off from our friends, firing us, not hiring us, even refusing us certain living expectations.

if i want to be drugged, i'll be drugged (i don't have this tattoo, but i don't doubt i'll probably hear some bullshit in the hospital about the way i look and the medication i may want). just like if they want to be narrow minded, they can be narrow minded.
i think i figured out the ultimate reason why i modify: i just like touching myself.
IP IP Logged
RiotRix
Mod-let
Mod-let

Total Mods: 19

Quote RiotRix Replybullet Posted: August/17/2007 at 4:23am
Aside from the obvious case of idiocy in refusing epidurals to women with healed lower-back tattoos,

it keeps mentioning women in labor with fresh tattoos.

Isn't it generally agreed upon that getting tattooed (or pierced) during pregnancy is a bad idea?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version