Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 12:44am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNE-T2UjfIc

so.stupid.

-------------
Morgannn.

Replies:
Posted By: kcir
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 1:01am
they're pro?  they work out of a hair salon?

-------------
http://www.cutinto.me">

Posted By: lillboooo
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 1:03am
I don't think it helps anything to call them stupid. Wouldn't you rather educate them as to the proper way to get piercings or to not get them at all if it can't be done safely?

Posted By: Aileen101
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 1:09am
Id just rather call them stupid..  yep I would..   But then again Im a dick

-------------
dance sir... that is all, just dance.....

Posted By: Jesykka
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 1:10am
That ^.

-------------
"I get modified for the current trendy vanity worth, im a complete twat, one day all my piercings will be taken out anyway."-Kashina

Posted By: MonStarr
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 1:31am
To the video

-------------

Posted By: morgannn
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 1:45am
Rick, shut up. You're smartass comments aren't going to discourage me from following my dream.
It's perfectly acceptable to pierce out of a hair salon. It's completely separate from the salon environment, in a sterile room that's no different than any other fucking place.
 You're very ignorant.

And lilboo, you're very right. It doesn't help to call them stupid. But i'm not trying to help haaha. Just saw this and thought people would enjoy it.

-------------
Morgannn.

Posted By: Euphoric
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 2:03am
As someone who worked in a hair salon..no it isn't..lol. Hair is really really dirty and germy. lol..that was the first thing I learned (Edit...learned in cosmotology school..but who am I..I dropped out the first week because I didn't want to cut hair my entire life). But I don't know you..or your story..or what is going on..so I am just going along with whatever is going on.

Rick YOUR AN ASS. Hehe. But we are friends on facebook so it is okay.

-------------
If I got a dollar for every time I repented the sin then committed the same crime, I'd be standing on top of the world today...

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 2:35am
Originally posted by morgannn

Rick, shut up. You're smartass comments aren't going to discourage me from following my dream.
It's perfectly acceptable to pierce out of a hair salon. It's completely separate from the salon environment, in a sterile room that's no different than any other fucking place.
 You're very ignorant.

And lilboo, you're very right. It doesn't help to call them stupid. But i'm not trying to help haaha. Just saw this and thought people would enjoy it.

i'm ignorant of many things, i don't understand the underlying concept of magnetism, what lies beyond string theory, or why you think it's acceptable to set up a piercing station in an high airborne contaminant zone with no training or previous experience.

as an opener, i'll rely in this instance upon the words of dan aykroyd...."jane, you ignorant slut" to be followed with:  if you had half the knowledge of my left shoe you'd know enough to tie yourself and wait quietly for something to be stuffed within you.   since you don't, feel free to respond and be likewise handed your proverbial uninformed ass.

-------------

Posted By: Keiran1980
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 4:14am
Originally posted by lillboooo

I don't think it helps anything to call them stupid. Wouldn't you rather educate them as to the proper way to get piercings or to not get them at all if it can't be done safely?

As they are all too young to access this site I do not think it matters what we call them here. When they are old enough to see this they will hopefully know better anyway.

-------------
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson

Posted By: glimme
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 4:17am
Originally posted by kcir

what lies beyond string theory

Smoke some dmt or even salvia. You'll understand it then hahaha.

oh and to stay on topic well sortta piercing out of a hair salon is just nasty. While you're at it you can sell bongs too then me and rick can get drunk and pee on your shop hahaha.

-------------
"This stuff, it makes pure mescaline seem like ginger beer man."

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 4:50am
Originally posted by glimme

[QUOTE=kcir]
oh and to stay on topic well sortta piercing out of a hair salon is just nasty. While you're at it you can sell bongs too then me and rick can get drunk and pee on your shop hahaha.

sorry ma'am, we're the sanitation police.  hold my clipboard while i show you what i think of your operation.

-------------

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 5:40am
Fucking magnets...

-------------
"I get modified for the current trendy vanity worth, im a complete twat, one day all my piercings will be taken out anyway."-Kashina

Posted By: glimme
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 5:49am

Originally posted by glimme

[QUOTE=kcir]
sorry ma'am, we're the sanitation police.  hold my clipboard while i show you what i think of your operation.

Hahahaha I still can't remember the name of that shop. All I remember was that some "pro" here worked at it and that it was next to andromeda on St marks place.

-------------
"This stuff, it makes pure mescaline seem like ginger beer man."

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompson

Posted By: hellodave
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 7:44am
Piercing in a hairdressers. BLECH is all I have to say...

-------------
"Drink plenty of whisky and you'll live as long as me!" - Frank Smith, 1910-2006.

Posted By: XrepresentX
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Aileen101

Id just rather call them stupid..  yep I would..   But then again Im a dick

+67654567

Eye-PoppingShakes%20FistTiredBooDunceHatAfro
Crazy
Eye-Popping

-------------
http://tinypic.com">Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 9:46am
I don't know how this turned into an attack on piercing in a hair salon, which once again, none of you are educated about. Obviously it'd be dirty as hell if it wasn't isolated, but once again I'm not going to explain myself hahaha.
Rick you can think you know the world but in reality you don't, SORRY ASSHAT.
as for everyone else,
ENJOY THE STUPIDITY OF THE VIDEO.
:)

-------------
Morgannn.

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 10:15am

I don't know how this turned into an attack on piercing in a hair salon, which once again, none of you are educated about. Obviously it'd be dirty as hell if it wasn't isolated, but once again I'm not going to explain myself hahaha.
Rick you can think you know the world but in reality you don't, SORRY ASSHAT.
as for everyone else,
ENJOY THE STUPIDITY OF THE VIDEO.
:)
Im not Rick, Im not an ASSHAT, and I think its unacceptable to pierce out of a hair salon.. Its just another way for someone to make a quick buck. If this was really your dream, as it was lots of ours you would work in a SHOP!!>.   So am I attacking you??  no..  Am I stating a fact that is well known and accepted in THIS community??  Yes..  I was offered the opportunity to work in a salon and I turned it down.. No matter how "isolated" it is there are still contamination issues.. The chemicals and hair are quite airborne nomatter what..  And do you have your own seperate room for sterilization as well.. Where is your jewelry stored??  But whatever.  Its not like Ive been piercing for years and have dedicated my whole life to this or anything..  BLAH....

-------------

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 10:19am
once again. No one asked ANYONE about that. Rick just feels the need to start with me anytime I post anything.

I don't know how a lighthearted post I thought people would enjoy laughing at turned into a debate, ahhaah it always does.

I hate all the egotistical fucks on here.

-------------
Morgannn.

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 10:26am
I'm not even going to check back for new responses btw. So have fun (:

-------------
Morgannn.

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 10:30am
oh yes you will.. We as humans are quite the curious bunch..  p.s.  Im not egotisical, nor am I a fuck..unless its a saturday, then I am both of those things..

-------------

Posted By: AlecTrosex
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 11:02am

I don't know how a lighthearted post I thought people would enjoy laughing at turned into a debate, ahhaah it always does.

You've only got yourself to blame.

You're very ignorant.
You could have just let his remark slide; only the two of you would know what he was talking about. You blew this up, and to talk about the "egotistical fucks" on this website is shortsighted. Do you really think that what you've done in this thread isn't egotistical? You escalated the situation because your ego was hurt. You felt threatened in a primordial way so you reacted in a primordial way. Get off of your high horse and recognize that sometimes you are the one making the false step. Take a deep breath and try to smell your own shit on your knees.

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 12:11pm
Morgannn..I DO know what I am talking about...as I stated..I may have dropped out the first week (or so) but I took all the basic classes and passed. All those basic classes where sanatation and germs in the work place.

Hair flies...so you can't isolate a place in the salon unless it was COMPLETLEY seperate..but then it would just be it's own shop. 
You can't stop a hair from drifting in the air condition draft of a shop. And with all the hair that comes off during a basic cut..well you get the picture.

BUT here in AZ we do have a barber shop/ tattoo place that is actually around the corner from me. So maybe you can go there.

http://www.electrichaventattoo.com/site/index.php?page=gallery - http://www.electrichaventattoo.com/site/index.php?page=gallery

But god helps anyone who goes to this place. Imgaine getting tattooed when someone is getting thier face shaved. WTF?

-------------
If I got a dollar for every time I repented the sin then committed the same crime, I'd be standing on top of the world today...

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 12:37pm

piercing in a hair salon, which once again, none of you are educated about.

None of us? Are you sure? :P

Who here feels they're just a little (or a lot) more "educated", than morgan? I'm more likely to back the opinions of the members who actually -have- been formally educated on proper hygiene/sterilisation practices, really :).

-------------

Posted By: Herzeleid14
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Jesykka

Fucking magnets...

how do they work?
glad someone said it

-------------

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 12:51pm
Somebody had to :P.

-------------

Posted By: MrJonz
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by AlecTrosex

You've only got yourself to blame.

You're very ignorant.
You could have just let his remark slide; only the two of you would know what he was talking about. You blew this up, and to talk about the "egotistical fucks" on this website is shortsighted. Do you really think that what you've done in this thread isn't egotistical? You escalated the situation because your ego was hurt. You felt threatened in a primordial way so you reacted in a primordial way. Get off of your high horse and recognize that sometimes you are the one making the false step. Take a deep breath and try to smell your own shit on your knees.

So Alec pretty much beat me to it as well.

and That's fantastic that you're passionate about something. I'll go out on a limb and say that most (if not all) pros on this site are pretty goddamn passionate about what we do for a living, and when someone is unwilling to REALLY hear what people have to say about this industry and the correct working environment, then you only have yourself to blame. As most others have stated, IMpossible to create a sterile work environment in a hair salon. and I just noticed this lil gem too.....

"It's completely separate from the salon environment, in a sterile room that's no different than any other fucking place."

Sooooooooo, you're gunna be setting up your procedure room INSIDE of the sterile room??? Or a sterile room isn't different than any other place??? Like a Baskin Robbins, or a crematorium??  How bout this, next time you wanna set up for a hair cut, do it in the bathroom, since ya know, theres no chance theres gunna be any contaminants floating around in the air.  Stop

oh, and yeah, the video was dumb.

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Posted By: wormbuffet
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 1:11pm
i just shit my pants laughing at this, i didn't even watch the video.

-------------

http://www.mmarly.tumblr.com - RAW TUMBLR SHIT

Posted By: bondagekitten
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 2:41pm
I got bored watching the video and but wasn't shocked at what I did see, I was pleased when going through you tube and found properly done piercings, they are getting are getting harder to find though.

-------------
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)

Posted By: metalbabe
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 3:18pm
i'm amused to see that morgan decided to throw a tantrum, stamp her feet and wail loudly when she was asked more in depth info by Aileen. and seriously..... you can't call someone with way more knowledge than you stupid....... so dearie, look in the mirror whenever you're saying "you're stupid"

i'm not even interested in watching the video. this drama is way more entertaining

-------------

Perplexing people since 1986

Posted By: LauraOFace
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 4:32pm
The drama is very silly.

She is very silly and ill-educated.

Im no piercer, no professional but even I know its not right.

But... She works in those conditions so she will be disillusioned into believing it is a safe enviroment and will tantrum when people mess with something she is SO passionate about.... *shakes head*

-------------
Gone wandering

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 4:43pm
^^ Pretty much....^^

OMG!

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Posted By: LauraOFace
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 4:49pm
She is not a piercer yet, I lurker her profile.. but she cuts hair and wants to be a piercer so of course she is going to love the idea of a piercing room inside a salon as it gives her a higher chance of an "apprenticeship"

And... Most piercers who work inside salons tend to have gone to "piercing schools" Which are outrageous.

-------------
Gone wandering

Posted By: heatherfeather
Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Euphoric

Morgannn..I DO know what I am talking about...as I stated..I may have dropped out the first week (or so) but I took all the basic classes and passed. All those basic classes where sanatation and germs in the work place.

Hair flies...so you can't isolate a place in the salon unless it was COMPLETLEY seperate..but then it would just be it's own shop. 
You can't stop a hair from drifting in the air condition draft of a shop. And with all the hair that comes off during a basic cut..well you get the picture.

BUT here in AZ we do have a barber shop/ tattoo place that is actually around the corner from me. So maybe you can go there.

http://www.electrichaventattoo.com/site/index.php?page=gallery - http://www.electrichaventattoo.com/site/index.php?page=gallery

But god helps anyone who goes to this place. Imgaine getting tattooed when someone is getting thier face shaved. WTF?

I think we live within a 5 mile radius of each other...Nuzzle

Date Posted: July/28/2010 at 5:27pm
Hey too cool! Nice to see another fourm member in AZ! :)

-------------

Posted By: FeetyPajamas
Date Posted: July/29/2010 at 12:37pm
One of my best friends, and my hair stylist, told me a couple of weeks ago that I "should learn to pierce so we can open a piercing studio at the salon!!"  I launched into a lecture about sanity issues, etc etc etc. "Well, I have a UV sterilizer..."  /facedesk.  Long story short, I managed to convince her it was icky. :)

I love her dearly, but she's not the brightest crayon in the box.  Best intentions though. 

-------------

"Just lil ol' me. one lonely nipple"

Posted By: evalution
Date Posted: July/29/2010 at 12:48pm
watching that made my stomach turn.
WE SANITIZED EVERYTHING BEFORE ANYTHING TOUCHED ME! that's why the 230948023 hands that touch her aren't wearing gloves.

i especially like the part when everyone leaves, and then they start touching her again, and she's yelling that she doesn't want to do it any more. that and the whole "she hit a vein!" part.

amazing stuff.

Posted By: TattooBox
Date Posted: July/29/2010 at 2:08pm

My few pennies about the discussion.

It's not because you're 13 that you can't perform mods. Filip Leu started tattooing at 11, at at 13 was doing better than most tattoo artists are doing today.

On the other hand, it's not because you're more than 18, are licenced and operate a shop that you're a responsible professionnal.

There's no specific age to be an asshole. There's no specific age to feel love for body modification.

Posted By: DeaOfScelestus
Date Posted: July/29/2010 at 2:41pm
^ well put.

Hey! I'm in AZ too! Feel the love. ^_^

-------------
Photobucket

Posted By: KillaD
Date Posted: July/30/2010 at 11:42am
Lotta people from AZ all of a sudden. Go fig
So..Who wants tacos? Anybody?

-------------

Posted By: femmefatalee
Date Posted: July/30/2010 at 6:30pm
can i just say for the record, i'm a hairdresser, and have been for 5 years, and i work in a salon 6 days a week, AND i'm not an expert, but i can tell you that a salon is absolutely no place to be doing piercings, every single surface gets covered with hair, dust and crap every few minutes, its completely unhygienic... but you all knew that anyway, just thought id give my two pence worth.

-------------
its feels good to know your mine.

now drive me far away.

Posted By: Druidess
Date Posted: July/30/2010 at 7:22pm
The detailing of this thread was wonderful to read. Perhaps I shall go watch le video now.

-------------
When there is nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fyre.

Date Posted: July/30/2010 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Druidess

The detailing of this thread was wonderful to read. Perhaps I shall go watch le video now.

there was a video?

-------------

Posted By: Cale
Date Posted: July/30/2010 at 9:19pm
+1

-------------
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
http://www.facebook.com/piercingbymisscale - facebook.

Posted By: CheapPerfume
Date Posted: July/30/2010 at 10:52pm
I would never go to a piercer that works in a hair salon. If only for the fact that the two crafts are very specific and I don't think one person can successfully put in the necessary passion/effort into doing both 100% well, without cutting corners some place.

Plus the whole foreign contaminant thing. (Anytime anyone says "foreign contaminant", I think of Mo from WALL-E.)

Posted By: Eui1337
Date Posted: July/30/2010 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by CheapPerfume

Plus the whole foreign contaminant thing. (Anytime anyone says "foreign contaminant", I think of Mo from WALL-E.)

THIS <3  mo was my favorite character from WALL-E

i didn't watch the video but that's just because they are all the same.

but as many people have said, the idea of people cutting hair (which is messy) and doing piercings  in the same building/ office type thing seems unsanitary. but if she hadn't flipped out and ran off crying she could have explained herself.

but it still sounds like someplace i would never think of going.

-------------
"I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream..." - Vincent Van Gogh

Posted By: happydepression
Date Posted: July/31/2010 at 3:20am
eh. i can't even finish watching that! stuff like that just makes my tummy turn. 

-------------
[[monstrosity]]

Posted By: hellodave
Date Posted: July/31/2010 at 6:18am
Originally posted by KillaD

So..Who wants tacos? Anybody?

MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!!

-------------
"Drink plenty of whisky and you'll live as long as me!" - Frank Smith, 1910-2006.

Posted By: wombscum
Date Posted: August/05/2010 at 11:48pm

I would never go to a piercer that works in a hair salon. If only for the fact that the two crafts are very specific and I don't think one person can successfully put in the necessary passion/effort into doing both 100% well, without cutting corners some place.

I get not wanting to go into a hair salon and get a piercing by someone who is trying to multi task and do both ...
but out here in good ol california theres a shop called anomaly body piercing .. they have a hair salon upstairs and the piercing side is downstairs.  They are a pretty reputable shop with some pretty good piercers (which kinda shocks me) but oh well.  You cant expect everyone to agree.  A lot of people assume that if you keep them in seperate rooms or on separate levels that you can keep both areas from cross contaminating eachother ...
BUT I dont get how you say someone cannot be successful at doing both.  I do hair, and have been for 7 years, I have been piercing professionally for 10.  I work two days at a salon (separate from the shop) and 4 days at the shop.  Im great at what I do in both areas.  Any piercer is going to have outside interests other than piercing.  You cant expect a piercer to shit, breathe, and eat piercings.  regardless if its doing hair, playing in a band, or sailing for all I care .. if youre smart, focused and doing shit the right way .. there shouldnt be a problem.

Date Posted: August/06/2010 at 2:23am
I have other interests, but I'm proud to say that I do my best to shit, breathe, and eat my work. Body modification is my #1 love. <3

-------------
Miss Cale

Date Posted: August/06/2010 at 2:56am
i have plenty of side projects, but none are unrelated to getting under skin.  i don't think i'd be more qualified to pierce people if i made ice cream, just because it's in the same building as a tattoo studio.

-------------

Date Posted: August/06/2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by wombscum

I get not wanting to go into a hair salon and get a piercing by someone who is trying to multi task and do both ...
but out here in good ol california theres a shop called anomaly body piercing .. they have a hair salon upstairs and the piercing side is downstairs.  They are a pretty reputable shop with some pretty good piercers (which kinda shocks me) but oh well.  You cant expect everyone to agree.  A lot of people assume that if you keep them in seperate rooms or on separate levels that you can keep both areas from cross contaminating eachother ...
BUT I dont get how you say someone cannot be successful at doing both.  I do hair, and have been for 7 years, I have been piercing professionally for 10.  I work two days at a salon (separate from the shop) and 4 days at the shop.  Im great at what I do in both areas.  Any piercer is going to have outside interests other than piercing.  You cant expect a piercer to shit, breathe, and eat piercings.  regardless if its doing hair, playing in a band, or sailing for all I care .. if youre smart, focused and doing shit the right way .. there shouldnt be a problem.

I get that just because the piercing shop is in a separate location doesn't necessarily make them better. There are plenty of separate shops that are crap, and probably a few that are in with another practice that are amazing. But I think this is probably the exception.

I also have a problem with a piercer who's only in the shop 4 days out of a week. If this works for you and your clients, that's great - this isn't a personal attack on you. I, however, want someone who's committed to piercing and ONLY piercing (or other forms of body modification). To me, this shows that it's their passion, and not just a second job. When something is your passion, you usually put more effort into it than if it's just a job. My piercer works 5 days a week, and only as a piercer (no other jobs). I  have tremendous respect for her, because she's at the shop all day every day (during the work week).

If you need a second job to make ends meet, then who am I to judge. However, I don't really think I should be looked down upon as a client if I would rather go to someone who can devote their time to solely piercing. If you're RUNNING both practices, there's definitely going to be sacrifices made here and there so that you're successful with both.

Date Posted: August/06/2010 at 2:41pm

Originally posted by wombscum

I get that just because the piercing shop is in a separate location doesn't necessarily make them better. There are plenty of separate shops that are crap, and probably a few that are in with another practice that are amazing. But I think this is probably the exception.

I also have a problem with a piercer who's only in the shop 4 days out of a week. If this works for you and your clients, that's great - this isn't a personal attack on you. I, however, want someone who's committed to piercing and ONLY piercing (or other forms of body modification). To me, this shows that it's their passion, and not just a second job. When something is your passion, you usually put more effort into it than if it's just a job. My piercer works 5 days a week, and only as a piercer (no other jobs). I  have tremendous respect for her, because she's at the shop all day every day (during the work week).

If you need a second job to make ends meet, then who am I to judge. However, I don't really think I should be looked down upon as a client if I would rather go to someone who can devote their time to solely piercing. If you're RUNNING both practices, there's definitely going to be sacrifices made here and there so that you're successful with both.

I too only work in the body modification industry and am @ my shop 6-7 days a week. That being said, it can be VERY difficult to completely and utterly support yourself on just piercing; and I also mean JUST piercing too. I was not able to fully support myself until just recently.  And for those only doing piercings it can take even longer. A lot is where you're working out of, the industry in that area, high volume shop, etc.  I have a good friend who lives in Monterey and works @ a VERY reputable shop.  He is there 4-5 days a week but also works a regular 9-5ish job just to get by; and this is also w/ a g/f he lives with that pays 1/2 the bills too. Then theres shops like the one i'll be guesting @ in Sept. who are open 7 days a week and 6 of those days are 12 hr shifts. They had 2 piercers who'd work alternating days n then every other sunday. So they'd only be able work sometimes 3 days a week.  I have other friends who work only 2 days a week in a shop and sometimes by appointment only.  There's a number of different 'x'-factors that could result in an artist not working @ a shop as much as most clients like.  And while I'll (mostly) agree that i'm sure its nice for clients to have artists in the shop day in, day out catering to your every need; sometimes it's just not the case. I myself try to be in as much as possible, but there's still that one or couple you cant get to. I still feel bad but you just cant get to every client all the time.  I also agree that you shouldn't be looked down upon for having that view for your specific piercer; but sometimes shit doesn't work out that way.  My My%202%20Cents

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: August/06/2010 at 2:54pm
I just get extremely irritated when I check out a new place, and the piercer is like, "I'm only in the shop Tuesday and Wednesday - I work at Place X the rest of the week."

To me, that's indicative of someone who doesn't really care about piercing, and is just doing it for the "glamour", while the job that they spend their other time at is their "real job", or the one they care about.

Date Posted: August/06/2010 at 4:05pm
I've had to get part-time work during the winter to pay my bills before, and sometimes I've juggled two part-time jobs along with piercing full-time. I've even worked in two shops at a time. I mostly work 6 and 7 days a week and even though I'm in a good situation, a lot of the time I can barely support myself. I depend on money from my knitting and crafting every month to get me by.

I agree with a piercer being dedicated to their work. I am. But sometimes you do what you've gotta do to pay rent and eat.

-------------
Miss Cale

Date Posted: August/06/2010 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Cale

I've had to get part-time work during the winter to pay my bills before, and sometimes I've juggled two part-time jobs along with piercing full-time. I've even worked in two shops at a time. I mostly work 6 and 7 days a week and even though I'm in a good situation, a lot of the time I can barely support myself. I depend on money from my knitting and crafting every month to get me by.

I agree with a piercer being dedicated to their work. I am. But sometimes you do what you've gotta do to pay rent and eat.

+11111111

Thank You. Nod

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 12:25am
I'm hoping for a busy winter. :D

-------------
Miss Cale

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 1:05am

you and me both.

-------------

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 1:19am

you and me both.

I'll 3rd the shit outta that one!!

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 2:12am

I am just going to push right on in here and ask,

Do you make custom scarfs?

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 12:27pm
Sure! PM me and we can chat about it. :D

-------------
Miss Cale

Posted By: freakychild
Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 12:36pm

I just get extremely irritated when I check out a new place, and the piercer is like, "I'm only in the shop Tuesday and Wednesday - I work at Place X the rest of the week."

To me, that's indicative of someone who doesn't really care about piercing, and is just doing it for the "glamour", while the job that they spend their other time at is their "real job", or the one they care about.

what if that person is in the type of situation that i'm in?

that situation being that i have a kidney disease, i HAVE to have health insurance and there is absolutely no way that i would be able to pay my daily and monthly bills along with paying nearly $450 a month for privately held health insurance that is of a comparable quality and coverage to that which i have now...

therefore, i have to carry a full time job (40 hours a week) with a company that does offer health insurance plans... due to that job, and the fact that i travel extensively with that job, i am only available to devote time to working in the body modification industry on friday, saturday, and sunday...

next time you go to a piercing studio that offers their employees a health insurance plan and the ability to support one's self solely on piercing... let me know... i'll be sure to move my ass out there, where ever it is, instantly...

sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive....

-------------
http://www.helltrash.com">

Posted By: vampire311
Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 4:46pm
I have gotten a second job as well before and even currently trying to do so now Jim Ward ran Gauntlet and was also a jewelry maker. Fakir also had another job as a real estate agent or something like that. the fact is as Cale stated we must do what we have to do to get by and still take care of our families I own a shop making good money but I am getting another job so I can support my son who has a health issues better than what I can now. Before you condemn someone for having a job outside the industry and question there ability you should think maybe they have someone they should take care of.

-------------
http://www.bodymodbyharrisonnixon.com

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 5:21pm

agreed...  fingers crossed!!!

-------------

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 6:30pm
I didn't "condemn" anyone. However, the job you're spending over 50% of your time at is your primary job, and the other job(s) are not (that's just how math works). Sometimes it works out like that due to extenuating circumstances. I'm not judging that at all. If you need to have two jobs to support yourself, that's fine. Sometimes your "passion" isn't enough to get you through your bills.

Personally though, as a client, I'd rather go to someone who's "primary" job is body modification. If they have a second job, cool. Just as long as they're spending >50% of their "job time as a piercer/tattooist/whatever. Maybe that makes me an asshole or something, but I'm alright with that. No one asked you to like it, and if you don't like me anymore because of it, then you can refuse me service if I wander into your shop by happenstance.

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 7:00pm
A few months ago I really considered hunting down an apprenticeship and start the path of becoming a body piercer, but I need health insurance. And I knew that I would not be able to give body piercing the time and dedication it deserved if I was working another job to get my health insurance. Not saying it can't be done. I just know that I couldn't do it.

Date Posted: August/07/2010 at 7:17pm
^ That's largely what I'm getting at, especially pointed towards the young lady who originally posted this thread, who is considering being a piercer AND hair dresser. Both are skills that require a lot of training and dedication (and often re-educating as new techniques come out, so you are not outdated). I find it hard to believe that someone just starting out in both industries at the same time can handle them both. Both are crafts that require extreme dedication. Don't fool yourself or try to fool others into thinking that you can manage both successfully when you know you can't. Sometimes you have to cut your losses for whatever reason, and recognize that even though you love body piercing, it may not be the best career for you.

Print Page | Close Window