Print Page | Close Window

Do you pierce minors?

Printed From: BodyMod.org
Category: BMod Professional's Corner
Forum Name: Q&A for BMod Professionals
Forum Discription: Ask your question's here! Only professional piercers, tattoo artists, and modifiers are allowed to reply to the posts.
URL: http://www.bodymod.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19868
Printed Date: January/20/2021 at 9:05am

Topic: Do you pierce minors?
Posted By: randy flagg
Subject: Do you pierce minors?
Date Posted: January/17/2011 at 11:15pm
How many piercers pierce minors?

If you do, is there any thing you won't pierce on them? (of course no genitals, right?)

Is there special paper work you need to do?

Does the legal guardian need to present?

Do you agree with piercing minors?

-------------
Violence with grace...

Replies:
Posted By: aPleaforPurging
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 3:10am
I personally would never touch a minor with anything.
I believe that you should only be able to receive procedures at an age where you can understand the risks, and everything that comes along with it fully. I'd take pride in my work, and if the pierce-e doesn't do what is needed, and fucks up on there end, I feel personally responsible. It's pretty much the same as if you were a gun sails-men, you wouldn't sell a firearm to a convicted felon, knowing that it could harm themselves of others.

I don't recognise it as a job, rather more of a passion.

-------------
21Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

22Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Posted By: imsocoolikethat
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 3:29am
The place I got my labrets done pierced 16 and over, which includes nipples as well, so 16 year olds can get nipple piercings, I dont think that's right. :/ I just think 16 year olds get piercings cause their friends are getting it, and will regret it and just take it out later in life.

But. That's just what I think.

But, you do have to fill out a form , and if you're under 16 you need a guardian there to say its okay. Which is alright in my book. If your parents are there, they hopefully wont let you do anything too stupid... Hopefully D:

Posted By: Clush
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 4:10am
If all underage people didn't have access to getting pierced by a professional, there would be a lot more uneducated DIY. If someone doesn't take care of a fresh piercing, it's their fault. But wouldn't you rather know you are giving someone the best head start for healing a piercing by doing it properly? Instead of getting a safety pin shoved through followed by inadequate jewelry topped with not taking proper care of it. I think there is a VERY fine line and finding the balance can be quite difficult.

-------------
"I love hairless cats too, if you know what I mean *wink*."

Posted By: angelfetus
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 5:56am
i have a policy for for Parental consent(and a form to go with that), for some piercings, and require a signature and the parents presence for the piercing.

At the same time i have signs stating that refusal on my part is an option with no explanation required.

the way i see it...the town i work in has 2 piercers, me and a total hack(tattoos 15yr olds, butchers their piercings etc).......and if i refuse to pierce all under 18s, they WILL go to him, and that would make me far more guilty, than piercing a developed and mature minor, with their parents consent.

that being said, the exclusions for intimate work and more extreme mods is obvious( not for the underage, and thankfully the other guy is too stupid to take that work on board!)

theres my 2 cents. :)

Posted By: twisted666
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 7:01am
To be honest I think alot of people who think under 18's are immature and irresponsible should realize that is a huge generalization. If you explain the risk of a piercing to both a group of 16 year olds and a group of 20 year olds, I'd say there would be the same amount that don't listen, care or understand. No genital piercings goes without saying, that's just law. Stupidity is there in all age groups.

Posted By: Amplexus
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 8:25am
What I find even more dangerous than the piercing of minors, is selling tapers to the buggers. 

-------------
Glimmi says: But yeah theres that old saying you can't judge a book by it's cover, cause it could have like 60 piercings in it's cock......Well that's not how the saying actually goes but you get my point.

Posted By: thebrootalkid
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 11:20am
I guess I'm counted as a minor, I'm 17 and have quite a few piercings including a microdermal. The way I see it is the piercer needs to make their own decision but definately nothing more than ears on anyone under 16. I did get my navel done when I was 14 but to get it done I had to prove to my parents I fully understood everything that came with it.

I think parents should be more involved, I've never had a crap peircing simply because my mother has made me be educated and really think about what I'm doing rather than just go on a whim and have something done because its 'cool'

Posted By: StabbyJeff
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 11:35am
We have consent forms to comply with and anyone under the age of 16 needs a parent / guardian present for the piercing. I definately wouldn't do a minor's nipples though- that's mental! Thankfully that's never been an issue.

Posted By: mspiggy
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 12:38pm
Our shop requires anyone under 18 has to have a parent/legal guardian's consent (sign the form and be present) Absolutely no nipples or genitals piercing for those under 18 years of age.

-------------
Tee/Piercer/Charlotte,NC

Keep it dry, keep it still, keep it clean

Posted By: MontanaPiercer
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by thebrootalkid

I guess I'm counted as a minor, I'm 17 and have quite a few piercings including a microdermal. The way I see it is the piercer needs to make their own decision but definately nothing more than ears on anyone under 16. I did get my navel done when I was 14 but to get it done I had to prove to my parents I fully understood everything that came with it.

I think parents should be more involved, I've never had a crap peircing simply because my mother has made me be educated and really think about what I'm doing rather than just go on a whim and have something done because its 'cool'

woops, told on yourself.....

Also, by your wording Randy, I am making the assumption that this question was aimed at site pros, and so I have moved it to an area where only pros can reply to.

I left the original non pro post intact incease you DIDN'T intend for it to be pro only, in which case I can move it back.

-------------
"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice." Bill Cosby

Posted By: MrJonz
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by MontanaPiercer

Originally posted by thebrootalkid

woops, told on yourself.....

Very very true. But (and this may not mean a damn thing) but she will be turning 18 by the UK meet this next week as I'm to do a scarification piece on her.  Still completely your call of course; just thought Id point that out. Smile

-------------
Body Mods by Jonz

Posted By: bondagekitten
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:28pm
I got my nipple done at 16 by a professional who's consent form only stated over 16 without parental consent. I had lied a couple of months before hand and got my first VCH in the same place but I had been getting into over 18 nightclubs for over a year at that point with no ID. I think the rules are stricter now (it was back in 1996 I got my first intimate piercings) but it's still legal for 16 year olds to get married in Scotland without consent so I have no problems with the idea of a 16 year old getting work done. It was 18 for tattoos then too so can see the argument for the 18 age limit. I am funny about age of consent stuff as here you can die for your country and leave a widow(er) at 16 but you can't vote or get a tattoo. 

sorry mods - I'm not quite with it today and didn't realise this was in the pro section - please just delete

-------------
"Take me as I am or not at all" - Ginger (from The Wildhearts)

Posted By: Cale
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:36pm
I pierce minors, and honestly it's usually not that big of a deal. If I had my choice, I would pierce 18 and up only, but it's a requirement of working in my shop. I've turned away minors before that won't pay attention or don't seem like they can care for a piercing. It's not that hard.

They have to provide name, face, and birthdate for ID if they don't have a state issued ID, also with a parent present, and the parent needs an ID. If it's a guardian, they have to show proof of that.

I won't do microdermals or surface piercings, dermal punching or genital piercing on anyone under 18. I also won't do tongue piercings on anyone under 16.

Hope this helps your research. :)

-------------
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
http://www.facebook.com/piercingbymisscale - facebook.

Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 1:49pm
I don't mind who gives their opinion. But yes, I would like the pro's to weigh in with their rules on minors.

I had a mother who wanted me to pierce her 14 year old daughter yesterday. A tongue and navel. I pierced the moms tongue a few months ago.  Legally I can do it.

But just how young is too young?

It is our responsibility to stop kids from getting a piercing with an apple and a sewing needle/safety pin cooked by a lighter as tools? Is that just a part of growing up?

5 years ago I was like I'll never pierce a minor, but now... I think we have all seen some awful homemade piercings come through our doors. I feel much more OK about piercing a kid now, because at least its being done in a safe, clean, professional environment. You also get a loyal customer.

What age is to young? (in your opinion)
Lobes
Ear cart
Nostrils
Septums
Tongues and oral piercings
Navels
Surface Anchors

-------------
Violence with grace...

Posted By: angelfetus
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by randy flagg

I don't mind who gives their opinion. But yes, I would like the pro's to weigh in with their rules on minors.I had a mother who wanted me to pierce her 14 year old daughter yesterday. A tongue and navel. I pierced the moms tongue a few months ago.Β  Legally I can do it. But just how young is too young?It is our responsibility to stop kids from getting a piercing with an apple and a sewing needle/safety pin cooked by a lighter as tools? Is that just a part of growing up?5 years ago I was like I'll never pierce a minor, but now... I think we have all seen some awful homemade piercings come through our doors. I feel much more OK about piercing a kid now, because at least its being done in a safe, clean, professional environment. You also get a loyal customer.What age is to young? (in your opinion)LobesEar cartNostrilsSeptumsTongues and oral piercingsNavelsSurface Anchors

i think if you have a 'parental consent' rule...

then those piercings you have listed should have a SET age.

by this i will give 2 examples

1) a mature 14yr old girl. asking all the right questions, developed enough mentally and physically to house and look after the piercing( parent with her)

2) a 16yr old girl, who looks about 10, has a mother talking for her, while shes daydreaming.

Now the first one i would have no issue piercing. the second, i believe will at some point endure a growth spurt, thus causing a concern, also i think she isnt going to give it correct aftercare, so i will explain that and send them on their way.

so it really(within legal laws) isnt about fixing a number to the piercing. to say '15 for navels' or '16 for septums'...is not a good way to judge who you pierce i think.

Posted By: bodymod05
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 4:50pm
My take on the subject is the same as some of the others.  I feel that if they are going to have a better safer piercing experience, I would rather know they are getting it done correctly.  My shop does require parent to be present for piercing as well as ID and birth certificate to be copied at time of release form signatures.  I do have things besides genitals that I wont do either.  Examples would be microdermals cheeks etc.

-------------
Evil Dave Has Spoken!!!

Posted By: freakychild
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 6:03pm
i've always had the personal rule of not piercing anyone under 14, except for earlobes.

i've always made parental consent, and parental accompaniment a mandatory for anyone under 18.

i will pierce earlobes for minors over the age of 8, as long as that minor can understand and restate my aftercare instructions to me before the piercing, thus knowing they have at least a rudimentary understanding of how to care for their piercing... i also will give the parents/guardians the same instructions.

if the minor client can not acceptably vocalize their own want/reason for a piercing to me, i will not pierce that client....

and, of course, no nipples, no genitals, no advanced piercing (surface work, microdermals, corsetry, play piercing)

-------------
http://www.helltrash.com">

Posted By: xjessiex
Date Posted: January/18/2011 at 7:35pm

I most certainly am no pro- but I had my nose pierced at the age of 13 and it was a big deal for me. I appreciated the risks and looked after it. today a piercing is just a piercing for me, but as a 13 yr old it gave me a lot of confidence.
I realise the law does not recognize under 18 or 16 yr olds to be legally responsible for themselves- but at 13 I'd been through more than a lot of 20 somethings I know and I'd still say I was more clued on at 13 than some 30 yr olds I know lol.( perhaps every 13 yr old wants to think that, but some people are thrown into life at a much younger age than others).
age is always a funny thing!

-------------
"I can't stand TV before breakfast."

"Dial 888…The desire to watch TV, no matter what's on it."

Date Posted: January/19/2011 at 3:37pm
Right on. Good stuff everybody.

-------------
Violence with grace...

Posted By: CheapPerfume
Date Posted: January/19/2011 at 9:24pm
Also not a pro, so if you want you can just delete.

The piercer I go to does minors only if the parent produces a birth certificate showing they're the parent, and both parties need photo identification. I don't think she typically does anyone under 14 though, and no genitals or nipples until they're 18. Pretty good policies, if you ask me.                                                             

Posted By: jake fleshworks
Date Posted: June/10/2011 at 11:32am
my personal standards for age are realistically if a kid looks under the age of 18 i will ask for a form of identifications just on the off chance they could be under the age of 16. if under the age of 16 id then ask for a parent / guardian to be called in and co-sign a release form WITH THE CLIENT. Then after i am happy with all health conditions and confirmation of age for the specified procedure i will then sign the form aswell showing that i was present and accepted the procedure. Obviously in more extreme cases of nipples / genital i would want a form of identification to confirm that the person is 18 years of age at least and take a photocopy to keep with the release form for my records as unfortunately the issue of people getting fake I.DS made now is on a huge growth and its always a nice safety net and peace of mind incase you are unfortunate enough to get caught out haha

-------------

Posted By: Carrie_p2005
Date Posted: June/10/2011 at 2:20pm
I don't know how I missed this topic...

I pierce minors.  I require the parent to sign a release form and be present during the procedure.  I also require a birth certificate or court documentation in the case of guardianship, a state-issued photo ID or passport for the parent/guardian, and a photo ID for the minor (I allow school ID's for the minor).  I make a copy of all these documents and keep them on file with the release form.

I won't do any kind of genital or nipple piercings on minors, and I don't do anything I consider an "advanced" piercing ie. surface, microdermals, cheeks, etc.  I don't have a specific cut-off for any particular piercing, but my general cut-off is 14, except for ears.  I will pierce earlobes on anyone old enough to specifically ask for it, understand the procedure, understand the importance of proper care, and sit still while I'm doing the procedure.  I will do basic helix piercings younger than 14 as well, depending on the circumstances. 

I don't give a specific age for each piercing because I do every minor piercing on a case-by-case basis.  I feel like blanket policies open me up to a lot of headache, because it's much harder to say no when you told the minor yes on the phone.  When minors come in with the mindset that their attitude, ability to listen, and ability to follow instructions is what makes my decision, it's generally a more pleasant experience for all involved :)

Posted By: Illingen
Date Posted: June/10/2011 at 3:29pm

I do pierce 16-17 year old minors with parental consent myself. Most are people that had a friend or hack in town mess it up and come and get it fixed. Genitals are a big no, as well as tongue piercings (really, they can wait until 18 for that). I've always thought if I don't do it, they'll go to the other 10 shops in town that do, and 3/4 of them will mess it up.

Date Posted: June/10/2011 at 6:41pm
thats exactly my point, over here we have loads of hair salons / barbers who literally use those "guns" for all sorts like nose, helix, and tragus piercings even had a client who had said that of of them pierced her naval using one. I would much rather a client to have a much higher standard / more hygenic piercing be they a minor or not rather than send them away to get butchered  by the hands of a complete idiot. Gives me a much better piece of mind!

and i definately dont see any wrong in it at all considering all the forms are in order and parents are present to consent

-------------

Date Posted: June/10/2011 at 9:48pm
The state of Missouri has it's own minor piercing form. There is no age limit, just restrictions on genitals, that's it. The legal guardian must be present and in the room during the piercing.

Our shop policy: They must have a state issued ID with a D.O.B. and physical address. The last name and address must match the legal guardians, or a birth certificate must be provided where the parents name is listed.

It's weird, we will not tattoo minors, but I pierce them all day long. Mostly navels, nostrils, and ear cartilage. I will not do surface work on them.

Like Cale said earlier in thread, if the minor doesn't seem capable of taking care of the piercing or is not paying attention then I won't do it.

-------------
Violence with grace...

Date Posted: June/11/2011 at 12:02pm
thats an awesome policy man, i wish the UK had more regulations in force like that, including the seperate forms etc. its a very safe way to work not jst for the artist but for the client too!

-------------

Posted By: Carrie_p2005
Date Posted: June/11/2011 at 3:09pm
I require a birth certificate or court document with every single minor piercing.  I've had too many cases of step-mom trying to sign.  The last names and addresses do match in those cases, but legally, step-mom has no authority to give consent.  

Posted By: vampire311
Date Posted: June/11/2011 at 11:15pm
I do pierce minors 12 and under I will not touch.

13 to 15 just lobes

16-17 everything but Nipples Genatails and Tongues

18+ everything as long as it is safe for them medical wise.

All minors are required to have parents signiture and must have Birth Certificate to prove it is the parent.

-------------
http://www.bodymodbyharrisonnixon.com

Print Page | Close Window