Print Page | Close Window

Note on Infected Piercings

Printed From: BodyMod.org
Category: Body Mods
Forum Name: Aftercare Q&A
Forum Discription: Post your questions or thoughts on Mod aftercare here.
URL: http://www.bodymod.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20967
Printed Date: August/08/2020 at 11:43am

Topic: Note on Infected Piercings
Posted By: Adam
Subject: Note on Infected Piercings
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 12:46am
A ton of talk in the piercing world is about infection, and how to avoid it. While cruising around YouTube, I came across this video of a girl with a horrible infection form an Industrial.

(I apologize for the irritating music accompanying it)

I don't know for sure, but from the description, it sounds a lot like Mersa.

The most important thing that I would take from this video is that just because the piercer says everything is sterilized, doesn't mean it really is. Some of the time piercers are fucking dolts that assume they know the same as a doctor. Learn what a sterile environment is for yourself so that you know better =)

Now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

Here's the text from the posting:

The doctors clearly stated that the PIERCER injected the bacteria. There was nothing I could have done to prevent it or clean it. It would have spread to my brain and killed me (a very potent strand of bacteria) whether I had left the bar in or taken it out. LUCKILY i took the bar out (thus the huge bubble formed), otherwise I wouldn't have even gone to the hospital, thinking it was just "normal piercing swelling and pain"... then it would have spread to my brain "silently" and killed me with NO warning sign.
you shouldnt ever take jewelry out of a healing piercing, but in my case, I was very lucky i did, otherwise i would be dead right now.

-yes, i cleaned it, twice a day with hot water sea salt soaks (about 10 minutes each) and once in the shower with an antimicrobial soap purchased from the piercer (brand: Satin)

-i never used alcohol or any other harsh chemical type to clean it with- thats a no no

- quote from the doctors and plastic surgeons from the hospital: "the piercer subjected the cartilage of the ear with a type of bacteria found in nursing homes and/or bed ridden people"... this couldn't have been prevented no matter what I did or how often I cleaned it, whether I kept it in or took it out...

-i called the piercer after day 3 of intense pain and swelling and he said it was all normal swelling and to just let it be....
It is actually a GOOD thing i took the jewelry out even though you're not supposed to, the bacteria would have spread no matter what. The giant bubble that formed was just a physical warning sign that i needed to get to the doctor.

-this was over two years ago but i'm still happy to try to tell you step by step what happened, although it went by extremely fast and traumatic, so it's hard to remember details....

-the point of this video is to help you weigh your options! if you want it, get it, but just be aware this CAN happen, i'm not saying it will.

***This is my story of when I got my industrial... there are some very graphic pictures so watch your stomachs! If you have any questions just leave a comment and ask :)

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: SolidOak
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 3:07am
//

Posted By: Keiran1980
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 3:33am
The photos look pretty painful.

-------------
"Everyone is from somewhere.
Even if you've never been there." - Ian Anderson

Posted By: saaaaan
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 3:45am
Because people have MRSA hanging around in their sheets?
Her ear actually doesn't look that bad all things considered.

Posted By: WickedBody
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 11:51am
How didn't her ear look all that bad?.. That looked pretty infected to me. I've seen that video before, definitely would not want that happening to my ear. 

Posted By: evalution
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 12:00pm
^
it looked infected, but it didn't look like there was any necrotic tissue or anything. mrsa usually kills tissue pretty quickly.

Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 12:44pm
Oh, alright. I suppose some necrosis would make things worse.. 

Posted By: Cale
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 3:16pm
MRSA doesn't just lay around on sheets, but it can be contracted under the right circumstances, and dirty sheets could play a part in starting the infection. I doubt the piercer gave it to her. She probably touched the piercing with dirty hands, slept on dirty pillow cases, used a dirty towel after showering, or her hair got into it. It IS that easy to get an infection. Look at the first picture of her in the video with her one day old piercing. She has her hand basically on the piercing, and she's obviously pulling her hair away from the piercing to take the picture, which means her hair was on the piercing. Some bacteria can/will travel three feet to find a place to manifest and it's very important to keep your hands as far away from a fresh piercing as possible. The infection she had was very serious, and at that point it would have spread throughout her entire body so I'm not sure if it's staph/MRSA. A staph infection can kill you much faster that two weeks. WickedBody, necrosis would have made this much worse for sure. Necrosis is when the tissue dies and it doesn't look like she experienced anything like that, and personally I think she's extremely lucky to have only a minor deformity today.

I think what bothered me the most is "I called and he said it's normal" after just a couple days. She didn't actually go into the shop to have the piercer look at it, and I doubt she called him after that to see if she should remove the jewelry or not. How can anyone know over the phone what is really going on when you're as vague as "my piercing is kinda swollen" after two or three days because it is completely normal to experience swelling in any piercing. She should have went into the shop to further assess the situation if she was so concerned about it. So now the piercer is to blame and I'm sure he never once saw it in person.

-------------
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
http://www.facebook.com/piercingbymisscale - facebook.

Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 3:19pm
I've seen some cases of necrosis before, so I know it's not something to mess around with. The skin turns dark to almost black with necrosis right Due to the tissue dying and lack of circulation? 

Posted By: that1chick
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 4:10pm
I don't fully understand how a doctor could say the infection DEFINITELY came from the needle.

I mean, there are a lot of ways to introduce bacteria into a piercing.

Granted, I sure as hell don't have a medical degree, but it just doesn't make sense to me to say the needle was DEFINITELY the cause of the infection...

-------------
http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/profile~ID~124632.aspx">

Posted By: Cale
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by WickedBody

I've seen some cases of necrosis before, so I know it's not something to mess around with. The skin turns dark to almost black with necrosis right Due to the tissue dying and lack of circulation? 

Yep. Once there are small streaks or spots with deep purple to black discoloration, chances are it has already settled in.

-------------
Miss Cale
True Blue Tattoo ~ 303-989-6824
305 S Kipling St, Lakewood, CO 80226
http://www.facebook.com/piercingbymisscale - facebook.

Posted By: Boogieforme
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 4:45pm
"Roughly 30% of people carry Staph bacteria (and a smaller percent carry MRSA) on their skin and/or in their upper respiratory tract (inside the nose area) and don't even know it."

That doctor should know better then to say that the piercer was definately the one to blame :\. I hate it whet doctors and dentists look at mods this way.

-------------
- Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost -

Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 5:12pm
I think it was just an easy way to point a finger, and make the community look bad. 

Posted By: mmm_riboflavin
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 5:59pm
^  and it's always much easier to blame someone else when things go awry...

-------------
"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty." -Mark Twain

Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 6:25pm
Definitely. Why take fault for something wrong? When you can put it on someone else. 

Posted By: greenmod
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 7:20pm
OMFG ! seen the video like 2 or 3 weeks ago !! X')

but yeah that was insane for her.

Posted By: Calem
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 7:53pm
Occham's Razor, people.
I refuse to believe that a doctor would point to an infected needle just to "make the community look bad", that's just Paranoia Pioneering.

But Morphine, Vicodin and Percocet...
Some people have all the luck :P

-------------

Posted By: jod806
Date Posted: October/24/2011 at 8:36pm
How about the person who made the video saying "Doc said X, Piercer said/did Y....I'm totally innocent" being the one at fault here?

I put some dermal-anchors in a clients arm who later came in with some infection and some dryness in the area. When I talked with her she claimed to be following the aftercare instructions we went over and I sent home with her, when she went to the restroom her roommate informed me on day one she removed the band-aids and was rubbing her fresh piercings on her dirty ass jeans...when she came in with a dryness issue as well she ignored my suggestions for treating that. She came back just a few days ago because she's been pulling and picking at the piercings which caused migration and we had to remove them.

She had a million theories on why she had problems, none of which stemmed from her own neglect and mistreatment, still anytime I ask her, she supposedly did everything I suggested but the minute she steps away I get informed she purely neglected the piercings.

As someone else said, it's much easier to blame everyone else, and with only making a phone call to the piercer I doubt she did much to really care for the piercing or address any issues when they first arose. "The doctor said" is just hearsay, and she may just be saying that in order to keep her story that it wasn't her fault.

On the other hand she could be being completely honest and it's why I always say check out the shop, the piercer, and the local buzz about both to find out what you may be getting yourself into.

-------------
SINcerely,

Juan

http://juanduran.net - Website
http://facebook.com/jod806 - Facebook

Posted By: angelfetus
Date Posted: October/25/2011 at 5:50am
Originally posted by Calem

Occham's Razor, people.
I refuse to believe that a doctor would point to an infected needle just to "make the community look bad", that's just Paranoia Pioneering.

But Morphine, Vicodin and Percocet...
Some people have all the luck :P

i wouldnt say he did it to 'make the community look bad'...but in my experience they do usually jump to blaming piercings/piercers for issues first, as they see it as something in the way of what they do.

ive had people tell me:
"my gyno said to take out my genital piercing, as it will cause thrush"

" the doctor said my current thorat infection is caused by my 5yr old tongue piercing"

"i had a bad infection in my ear, so the doctor said to remove my piercing straight away"

Now that is stupid logic in all cases, and in the last point....potentially dangerous.

I don't think its an attack on bodymods, they just have a single mindedness, and why work around something when they can tell you to get rid.

Posted By: Calem
Date Posted: October/25/2011 at 7:43am
Or perhaps they're pointing at the most likely scenario which doctors often do as the variables are counted in the billions.

-------------

Posted By: JClaude
Date Posted: October/25/2011 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Calem

Or perhaps they're pointing at the most likely scenario which doctors often do as the variables are counted in the billions.

I am all for such simple logic.
And in this case, it is the simplest conclusion. That the infection was contracted with the "trauma".
Several causes were given as to how she could have gotten that herself, I can give you that much more how it could have been the piercer.

We will never know, so I think the best in this case is not to go all "defensive" but rather try to learn what to do in such a situation!

-------------
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!

Date Posted: October/25/2011 at 12:29pm
I guess me saying that it was a way to make the community look bad was probably not the most valid, and not entirely what I meant; more so her just not wanting to own up to not doing what she should have. All in all, who knows what actually happened. Could have been a comprised piercing due to things not being sanitary. Could be a silly girl not taking care of her piercing. Could be a million and one things. Sorry for throwing out some sort of silly paranoia that the doctor would attempt to make the community look bad. I've just heard too many people claim their doctor has told them outrageous things are going wrong because of their piercings(doctors have attempted that with me as well.). So I can be a bit quick to say not all doctors really care for the body modification community.

Date Posted: October/25/2011 at 11:24pm
//

Posted By: MonicaCurbstomp
Date Posted: October/26/2011 at 10:13am
As soon as I finished watching the video and reading this thread, I went to my bedroom and bathroom and threw my sheets and towels in the washing machine.
Not that I am healing a fresh piercing, or that I am not competent at healing one.
Just reading this and thinking about this made me feel the need to clean!

Posted By: Pozzy
Date Posted: October/28/2011 at 7:09am
Fully agree with Cale, here in the UK we use cannula type needles fresh from a packet, if she watched the piercer remove it from a packet chances are the needle or Blade was sterile, so the doctor suggesting it was the piercer who injected it in, chances are very slim to none, it's an open wound that gets slept on, or hoodies or hats, etc can carry things on to the skin, general playing with it, tends to be a common cause of infection and products, if the piercee, was in any doubt of the sterility of the studio she should have left.

Also to note, if there have been previous or after additional cases of this type of infection, if the answer is no then it's doubtful it came from when the piercing was done.

Posted By: SteveSirenic
Date Posted: October/29/2011 at 12:31am
I'm disappointed. I was hoping too see something squeezed out of it. :(

-------------
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need no roads. -ISHC

Posted By: JClaude
Date Posted: October/29/2011 at 9:06am
Originally posted by MonicaCurbstomp

As soon as I finished watching the video and reading this thread, I went to my bedroom and bathroom and threw my sheets and towels in the washing machine. Not that I am healing a fresh piercing, or that I am not competent at healing one.Just reading this and thinking about this made me feel the need to clean!

Funny thing is, a lot of people like to shower in the morning, I like to shower before bed. If I don't I always feel I am taking my whole "day" with me to bed, car smoke, dust, etc... but I also am aware that washing sheets might not kill/clean a lot of the stuff that can lay there, even though I use stuff like oxi and colors bleach beside the detergent.

-------------
peRsOnal CreAtiVe

Reason #7 For Not Getting a Tattoo:
People will know you are running your own life, instead of listening to them!
"Sailor Jerry Collins, tattoo artist."

We are the beautiful freaks!

Date Posted: October/30/2011 at 4:12pm
//

Posted By: sadinie
Date Posted: November/01/2011 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by JClaude

Funny thing is, a lot of people like to shower in the morning, I like to shower before bed. If I don't I always feel I am taking my whole "day" with me to bed, car smoke, dust, etc... but I also am aware that washing sheets might not kill/clean a lot of the stuff that can lay there, even though I use stuff like oxi and colors bleach beside the detergent.

That's why I shower twice a day when I can afford it, but if I have to choose, like due to time constraints, I will definitely choose to take one before bed.
And now I will go and change my sheets too.Pleased

Posted By: quinnn
Date Posted: November/08/2011 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Pozzy

if she watched the piercer remove it from a packet chances are the needle or Blade was sterile

all it proves is that the needle was removed from a packet. 

-------------
Everything to excess. Moderation is for monks.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Posted By: jessica2n2
Date Posted: November/27/2011 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Cale

I think what bothered me the most is "I called and he said it's normal" after just a couple days. She didn't actually go into the shop to have the piercer look at it, and I doubt she called him after that to see if she should remove the jewelry or not. How can anyone know over the phone what is really going on when you're as vague as "my piercing is kinda swollen" after two or three days because it is completely normal to experience swelling in any piercing. She should have went into the shop to further assess the situation if she was so concerned about it. So now the piercer is to blame and I'm sure he never once saw it in person.

+10
You can't see over the phone. Can't stress that enough. If you're that worried, go in and see your piercer. And people need to keep their dang hands off of said fresh work. I used to yell at people who did that in front of me. Well, not yell, but absolutely stress how important and serious it is.

Posted By: Rotshreck357
Date Posted: February/21/2012 at 3:03pm

After I read this, I had to go out for a bit this morning.  Well, it's another  rainy and nasty day here in the Pacific NW, and as I was putting up the hood on my jacket I thought about this thread. Everyone thinks about the pillow cases and towels, but what about the inside of one's hood or hat, especially this time of year? I've got a week old lobe piercing so I decided getting wet was better than what I saw in that video.

Print Page | Close Window